why some of saints have 108 ?

• 2 months later...
Guest Javanmard

If you convert the number 108 in letters of the Sanskrit alphabet (devanagari) it means "Jaya" :victory!

That's the historical reason behind 108 in the names of saints and the number of beeds on the mala.

You can repeat any Mantra (sacred syllable), such as pure Om or Om Namo Narayanaya, Sri Ram, Sita Ram, Sri Ram Jaya Ram Jaya Jaya Ram, Om Namah Sivaya, Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya, Om Saravanabhavaya Namah, Hari Om, or Gayatri (a sacred Vedic Mantra), according to your taste or inclination, from 108 times to 21,600 times daily. Devotees of Christ may repeat the name Jesus or Hail Mary, Mother of Jesus. Parsis, Sikhs and Muslims may select a name or Mantra from the Zend Avesta, Granth Sahib or Koran respectively

Source : http://www.sivanandadlshq.org/teachings/20instr.htm

108 names??

No wonder they have so many gods. lol

This reminds of an tuk in dasam guroo durbar-

Ek shiva, ek paya, ek gayaie, ek fir payie

ram-chandar biii kaie avatar bii enaik haie,

I dont know the exact verse there are two more lines after that.

Note: I can not find an refrence because i was listening to baba ishar singh maharaj divans. Thats where i heard it. I have fall faith in my swami. So this tuk has to be in our dasam granth. :D

Actually, Vishnu has over 1000 names depending upon what attributes of Vishnu ur referring to..

(cant be asked to type them all up...)

btw, having lots of names for someone u consider worthy of worship doesnt mean one automatically belives in "many Gods"...if that was the case, we ourselves wud be believing in infinate number of Gods should anyone read Akaal Ustat or Jaap Sahib :wink:

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On back to the topic now,

I think we need to research more into numbers like- 108, 111.

I have also heard from this premi. That being called 111 means that you have beaten your 111 veins in your body.. and that is a stage where you become bhramgyani...in my opnion what he means also being in that state you can sort of control your body whats happening inside you.. thats some psycho stuff man... :shock: :shock:

Also i heard from different sources 111 means puran mahapursh :D

• 4 weeks later...

Also i got this from veer ji says the same thing:

There are 108 indrian (veins) in our body that produce desires. Sant 108 is the one who has control over all of these 108 indrian, thus has killed all his/her desires.