Can Sikhs marry a Non Sikh ?

Gurfateh

Das thinks that if to marry a Muslim then convert her/him before marriage to Gurmat while for Amritdharis only Amritdhari has to marry.But in Sau Sakhi das read Sikh who is Pahili can marry a non Pahili(this may be infereed that after marrriage or during Marrigege Pahil can be done.

Otherwise there doe not seems to be a sin.But refer that childern become Sikh.

I know this may be a re post, tried to find it but had no luck.

Can a sikh marry a Hindu, Muslim, Jew etc etc :shock:

Is it seen as a sin ?

oh kiddah.. well its all down to the person just be sure that the hindu/muslim/jew mamasitas dont just marry u 2 convert u 2 their religion...

i see that you have fallen for a non sikh mamasita

p.s. but if your at that level where you see all as the same, lol then where do you draw the line of sister mother and wife

That's avastha of bhramgyani :D

Bhramgyani sees beyond the body, wordly relations etc.

We see relations, blood relations etc. They see jot(energy) which bind us (the whole human race) together as One.

Bhram dristhi ===> bhram nesta ====> bhram chintan ===> Bhram Gyan.

:D:P

BINGO ...

Drawrof, copied and pasted what i wanted to say but in a cooler way then I did,

now the dilmna arises what if you are not bound to either hukam or dogma, just dancing in the presence of them both. miri piri style

If you take the one joht idea as neo said thats a stage of high awareness bhram avastha, then does marriage really matter at all.

but in the desire to be grist and take part in the worldy natak, or if you dont have that high stage of bhram gian, then is using the rules of tradition and dogma the best way to go?

I personally say ..

Maybe.

of course a sikh can marry a non sikh - no sin at all!

Thats what i thought.

If i can just ask :

But why is it looked as a sin in todays Society ?

But again am sure most parents wouldnt be happy with their daughter or son marrying a non sikh ?.

But if its not a sin, then should they have any objections ?

Would you agree for your son / daughter to marry a non sikh ?

Thats what i thought.

If i can just ask :

But why is it looked as a sin in todays Society ?

But again am sure most parents wouldnt be happy with their daughter or son marrying a non sikh ?.

But if its not a sin, then should they have any objections ?

Would you agree for your son / daughter to marry a non sikh ?

Marrying out of race/religion/caste is not a Sin, rather a matter of convienience from both a Social and Religious standpoint.

http://www.sikhawareness.com/sikhawareness...light=52+hukams : 52 Hakums oF Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj

14)Anand Viah bina grahist nahi karna - Do not start married life without Anand Karaj (Sikh ceremony of marriage).

If u marry a non-Sikh following their customs, what then?

38)Sir munae noo kanaiaa nahi daeni. Uos ghar daevni jithae Akal Purukh di sikhi ha, jo karzaai naa hovae, bhalae subhaa da hovae, bibaeki atae gyanvaan hovae - Do not given a daughter's hand to a clean shaven. Give her hand in a house where God's Sikhi exists, where the household is not in debt, is of a good nature, is disciplined and knowledgable.

I don't need to explain this one

42)Darshan yaatraa gurdwaaraa di hi karni - Make pilgrimages to Gurudwaras only.

Your non-Sikh spouse wants to go elsewhere, what do u do?

47)Sikhi kesaa-suaasa sang nibhaaouni - Live as a Keshadhari Sikh.

Your non-Sikh spouse asks u to give up ur Sikh identity. What do u do?

I am not suggesting a solution. I am just curious. If you do marry a non-Sikh, how do u fulfil these hukams? You would probably violate them. Or do u have a midway? By the way I am not least bothered about anyone's personal life and who they marry. I just want to know how would u, if u believe urself to be a Sikh, respond to Gurujee's clear and given hukams.

I am not suggesting a solution. I am just curious. If you do marry a non-Sikh, how do u fulfil these hukams? You would probably violate them. Or do u have a midway? By the way I am not least bothered about anyone's personal life and who they marry. I just want to know how would u, if u believe urself to be a Sikh, respond to Gurujee's clear and given hukams.

Interesting, Could you not follow Sikhi and also respect your partner’s religion. Why cant you marry in a church then also marry in a gudwara, isn’t marrying in a church still getting married, as we are meant to respect all religions and there beliefs? Jesus, Ram, Allah all represent god?

When it comes to kids, is it not best to teach the kids about all religions and let them make the choice? I believe you cannot force religion on anyone and your not born into a religion unless you adopt the characteristics?

"Darshan yaatraa gurdwaaraa di hi karni - Make pilgrimages to Gurudwaras only"

Does that mean when my Hindu friends have a religious event at the mandir I am committing a sin?

As above are we not all Sikhs, just different people have a different route to achieve the same goal, the love for god ?

I think you are responding to a question with a question. I never said anyone/anything was right or wrong. Nor did I offer a solution. I am just curious as to how do you see a Sikh marrying a non-Sikh and still not breaking the above mentioned clear and direct Hukams of Gurujee. I wouldn't be surprised if someone came up with "Those are not Gurujee's Hukams. They were drafted centuries after Gurujee left His physical body".

Could you not follow Sikhi and also respect your partner’s religion.
You can and should. But practically speaking, the question is how long can this mutual respect for 2 different religions last? Check this out :

http://www.realsikhism.com/testimonies/amanpreet.html - Amanpreet Kaur Marries a Hindu

Why cant you marry in a church then also marry in a gudwara
One has gotta make up one's mind who one's master is. If one is ok with 2 masters, go ahead by all means. Tomorrow one may say "Whats wrong in having a Sikh wife who I married in a Gurdwara and a Christian wife I married in a church?" There is no end to such "WHYs" ?

is it not best to teach the kids about all religions and let them make the choice?
Thats perfect, but I am really interested to know how it would work out when one parent tells the kid "Woman should wear hijab", and the other says "Wearing veil is forbidden".

I believe you cannot force religion on anyone and your not born into a religion unless you adopt the characteristics?
Perfectly said. Now which religion is the one that this kid will adopt? The mom's or the dad's ? I had a friend whose dad was Sikh and mom was Punjabi Hindu. The result was that she was an agnostic, meaning she knew that God is there but thats it. She never felt the need of God beyond that.

Does that mean when my Hindu friends have a religious event at the mandir I am committing a sin?
No, but they may expect you to bow before idols, and as a Sikh you aren't supposed to do that. You could offend them by sticking to your faith, or go against your faith to impress them. The choice is totally yours. Although I wouldn't say "Don't go to the Hindu mandir" if it was only a social or friendly thing, and you can maintain yourself as a Sikh there. In the end, its all your choice buddy. Its a free world and no one is gonna take u to court juz coz u married into another faith :) .

Dude am not marrying a Gyal from another faith. loll.

It’s just out of interest, beacous I restrict myself to gyals who are Sikh when looking for a potential wife. Felt that I was being judgmental towards other faiths, which I feel, isn’t right. As we believe everyone is equal. But I feel that in someway sikhi has confused me. As some say its okay others say its not. Guess the choice would have to be mine at the end of it hunna.

Understand the whole conflict of interests.

Thanks for your replys mate

When you say sikh what do you mean ?

Do you mean

a. amritdhari sikh , who follows the teachings of sri guru granth sahib ji

if this is the case then this sikh wil not marry outside his/her religion

b. a person borm into a sikh family , but does not practice relgion/ sikhism

Then it doesn't really matter who he /she marries, it then comes down to family pride etc..

c. A fifity fifty sikh , which way does he/she go ?

personally believe that we call ourselves sikhs , but rather we are born into the sikh family and have this status. We can only call ourselves real sikhs if we take amrit and practise what our Guru ( sri guru granth sahib ji says) , where your answers will be answered by the Guru.

Dude am not marrying a Gyal from another faith. loll.

It’s just out of interest, beacous I restrict myself to gyals who are Sikh when looking for a potential wife. Felt that I was being judgmental towards other faiths, which I feel, isn’t right. As we believe everyone is equal. But I feel that in someway sikhi has confused me. As some say its okay others say its not. Guess the choice would have to be mine at the end of it hunna.

Understand the whole conflict of interests.

Thanks for your replys mate

girls in the uk aint worth it anyways