Media is shaping the way we think....

got this from somewhere... quite true ..its all media...we live in the forgein country.. we say we are in control of ourselves.. but in fact its not true.... anyhow read this...

the media is shaping up the way we think, whether we like it or not, trends r being set by models to wear snazzy revealing clothes to market guds for big firms which we pay for.. this is causing ripple effects, in the way we r, the way we dress, our mental make ups r changing, come off it ur hardly gonna be religious wearing a tite butt lycra bottom showing the shapes of ur bum cheeks off to others, or a revealing top showing the shape of ur tits with a cleavage hanging out same goes for guys on body tops...look at the mind make up of this kind of person, based on external than internal...now u c y sikhs were supposed to dress modestly..then these saps give u the usual lines " oh ur a fanatic ur strict for us" if u say common sense stuff like dis the gals jump on ur throat and say its jus fashion...WAIT TILL U HAVE A DAUGHTER IN LAW LETS SEE HOW U FEEL WHEN SHES WALKING SIDE BY SIDE WID UR SON IN A MINI SKIRT.. how do u think a father or mother feels when their kid walks around half naked and says its fashion today?? this is one example of giving into society it dont jus reflect sikh gals jus people in general......it dont mean stik a punjabi suit on, modest clothes help.. it dont mean dont mix in wid society, do, but if gays became the trend in society does that mean ur weak enuff to let that affect u and become bent with it or perhaps just accept the fact gays exist?..

ask urself a q how much does a Gap top cost in uk ? round region of £60 quid..

how much does it cost to make that top in child labour factories in singapore?? not even 70 pence per top after the labour, materials and overheads to sew the product per each item.

MAGAZINES, MEDIA, ADVERTS, SOCIETY R GEARING PEOPLES MINDS UP THEIR WAY.. ASK URSELF Y IS THAT?? Y IS IT HAPPENING? WHATS THE SOURCES?? UL TRACE UR WAY UP TO THE BIGGEST FIRMS IN CONTROL OF THE MARKETS...

GIRLS WANT A CLEAN CUT GUY ASK URSELF Y? Y WAS IT DIFF 20 YEARS AGO? DID THE MEDIA HAV E THE SAME EFFECT THEN? IF NOT Y NOT?? PEOPLE WERE MORE IN TUNE WITH THEIR CULTURE DHARM. NOW THEY SEE ONE WRONG THING AND THE BLAME THE WHOLE RELIGION AND JUMP AT THE CHANCE TO BECOME LIKE GOREY..ITS UR LOSS. THIS WORLD IS DECEIVING, THE GRASS MITE LOOK GREENER, BUT END OF DAY UR THE ONE WHOS GONNA GET DUPED THEN UL COME BACK AND ASK URSELF WAS IT WORTH IT???MATERIAL LOOKS CLOTHES IMAGES R ALL DECIEVING THE FOOLS GAVE IN..BUT ITS TOO LATE TO TURN AROUND COS THAT MISTAKE COSTS U NOT ANYONE ELSE..ITS UR LIFE DO WHAT U WANT WID IT..

MUSLIMS R SMART, PROPHET MOHAMMED GAVE WARNINGS TO HIS PEOPLE WHAT THE COMING SIGNS OF THE BAD TIMES WILL B, RELIGIOUS MUSLIMS TOOK IT UPON THEMSELVES AND EDUCATED THEIR KIDS WHAT WHY WHEN THIS STUFF HAPPENS, THE SIGNS THE SYMPTONS AND HOW TO KEEP UR MIND CHASTITY ON GAURD...U GOTTO RESPECT THE GUD INTENTIONED ONES FOR DAT... SIKHS HAVE BEEN GIVEN MORE DETAILS 300 YEARS AGO OF WHATS TO COME FOR THE SIKHS AND PANJABIS AND THE REST OF THE WORLD.. THEY IGNORED IT ENTIRELY AND NOW THEIR KIDS R GETTING SACRIFICED FOR IT.. WHOS THE BIGGER FOOL??? SAU SAKHIS AND DASAM TELL U EVERYTHING U NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE FUTURE, AND SO FAR MAJORITY OF THOSE THINGS HAVE COME OUT TRU WITHIN SIKHS AND OUTSIDE, EACH SIGN SYMPTON.. ITS GONNA GET A LOT WORSE THESE R JUST SMALL SIGNS YET...

Guest kaur1699

MAGAZINES, MEDIA, ADVERTS, SOCIETY R GEARING PEOPLES MINDS UP THEIR WAY.. ASK URSELF Y IS THAT?? Y IS IT HAPPENING? WHATS THE SOURCES?? UL TRACE UR WAY UP TO THE BIGGEST FIRMS IN CONTROL OF THE MARKETS...

GIRLS WANT A CLEAN CUT GUY ASK URSELF Y? Y WAS IT DIFF 20 YEARS AGO? DID THE MEDIA HAV E THE SAME EFFECT THEN? IF NOT Y NOT?? PEOPLE WERE MORE IN TUNE WITH THEIR CULTURE DHARM.

well, a good topic. yea, alot of peeps these days are influenced by wat they see and i get wat ur sayin about y is it diff from 20 years bac, well bac then people tended to listen more to their parents (not as much freedom as now?) nowadays people are doin wateva they feel like and i suppose in some (maybe most) cases parents dont hav much of a say... bac in the day i suppose it was the parents that chose the spouse for their child, these days we all hav alot more of a say and are alot more picky about who we wana settle down with...

GIRLS WANT A CLEAN CUT GUY ASK URSELF Y

well, if u look at it, theres guys out there who want a barbie girl type of girl and vice versa, girls want a ken type of husband, BUT thats not the case with all guys and girls....

:wink:

well it depends on the person i guess

u aint gonna see an amrit dhari singh who wants to marry a kuri with a bodha (cut hair) and wears nuff make up and wears revealing clothes

whereas a singhni whos got a dastaar on - and has the roop of the khalsa is the most beautiful thing (next to waheguru) to a singh

and someone who is not very spiritual will think a singhni looks weird - maybe even threatening because she carries herself with pride

the media doesnt change someone - people change themselves

for example - i feel so disguted when i see a "singh" who has kesh - but he is wearing like a baseball cap on his head.... whats the use of keepin kesh???? - its like hes ashamed to be a singh or something :roll: :roll:

when guru gobind singh ji created the khalsa panth - he wanted to create an image for the panth that would make them stand out from thousands of poeple - so you could spot them and distinctly say "thats a khalsa"....

• 2 years later...

good points,

I disagree with mostly everyone!

firstly, fashion and acceptibility change with whims but principles don't change (they can be executed differently, but the intention stays the same).

I am not sure of what stories in sau sakhi you are refering to neo, but foretelling kids too many things which may seem "unbelievable" will have an adverse reaction.

People justify "truth" either based on a) experience B) ideology

the latter is used by many insecure people and is very scary as everything from academics to diversified thought, thinking out of the box gets outruled because of "weird" reasons like "that person wore pink instead of blue" and "it is true because 'babaji' said so".

The former is always going to be more personal and individual, providing it isn't someone trying to forge 'mysticism' on every little event that happens in life.

as per iron bangle, I do understand your sentiments bro, but I believe you are exemplifying the effect of the media. if you go to any page that has pictures of gursikhs, wearing keski's, dressing modestly, etc etc is being seen as a "wholesome" image. And rightfully so bro, we want that in a "sucha" life, mind you....looks are deceiving. I once believed, when I used to cut my hair, that those who were strong enough to keep outer rehit were really pakkay on the inside, until I realised even our gursikhs who are "representing" are doing the 'nasty' and 'everything' that we would not expect, the only difference is...the market is more of a "niche".

I believe it was challenge everything who showed the pics of keshdhari singhs illegally immigrating into the uk. don't you think those men have been dubbed as "chardeekallah" by some shardalu premi?

a person who has seen a "phoola" would not see "nihang baana" as an accurate representation of "khalsa"...nor would early nihangs see the "nokay wallay pagh" as a 'noble' dastar (as it was worn by many of those who worked with the british to wipe them out).

we see those same people who did sangat with baba nand singh now have a distaste for white cholay because of how it has been misused by many....

nothing is pure except waheguru lets truly try to understand that!

ps. I don't mean to project any of my harshness upon either iron bangle or neo (neither of them have said anything wrong). I just choose to disagree with certain elements of what they have shared.

I partially agree and with all of u

the media/modern seems to influence Sikhs (& Hindus) a lot, whereas ive noticed muslims moving back towards there own culture/faith (maybe bcos of sep.11)

More and more Singhs (in UK) are deciding to cut their hair and more parents are deciding they dont want to raise young singhs, & instead take their kesh off.

Girls all seem to say the same thing when they are asked wat type of boy they want, eg my cousin said 'i dont want boy that weres pugh'.

it seems girls are sayin i will marry any1/nething as long as at it aint a SINGH.................dam thats quite offensive wen u think about it!!!!!!!!

Shit thats quite a major discovery, these girls are kussin us!!!, they walk around claiming to be sikh and then say singhs aint good enuf for them, dam

i know that times are changing, and we should move with the changes, howvere losing ur whole identity is quite sad.

so ppl wat we gonna do?????????????????????

got ne ideas

OSINGH,

good point here, the best way to deal with this is...get out there; be normal and live off of what you are...no hangups, no nothings....

where I live in toronto, Its awesome because most parents are starting to keep their kids hair (and to our media's credit, it is encouraged and most kids will keep their kesh for a while).

These next few streams of kids will determine alot, we must cater to our youth but in a way that makes them comfortable with who they are, meaning "utilize" the identity.

With older guys, brush off all the 'factors' working against us and move forward with pride....you will see a change

ps. don't ever judge a book by its cover, some of the hottest girls I know would marry a guy with a pagh.

why is that you think lots of girls want a clean cut gut compared to a singh? girls raised around non-keshdhari men will obviously find keshdhari men slighty alien.

but when girls raised around keshdhari men start going for non-keshdhari men, thats when ill start gettin worried!

In general, singhs should keep themselves well groomed, and attractive, esp if you are an eligable bacheolar (sp)... and ive got a good few years yet, im only 19. Woohoo!

why is that you think lots of girls want a clean cut gut compared to a singh? girls raised around non-keshdhari men will obviously find keshdhari men slighty alien.

but when girls raised around keshdhari men start going for non-keshdhari men, thats when ill start gettin worried!

In general, singhs should keep themselves well groomed, and attractive, esp if you are an eligable bacheolar (sp)... and ive got a good few years yet, im only 19. Woohoo!

I thought this is the more popular trend?

I will say this tho....from my observation even girls that cut their hair are more likely to go for a sardar, than say a mona is for a sardarni.

So I think the burden of this "problem" falls on the guys. As they seem to have a bigger problem with girls that don't shave/do eyebrows...etc..

• 1 month later...

...at the same time you gotta acknowledge that you can be fashionable as well as a good person on the inside...eventually, the better someon becomes, if they really try, they'll blend into the Khalsa out of free will.

forcing someone who doesnt respect Guruji to wear a turban etc, is meaningless, similar to being a n@ng.

.basically if someone doesnt want to know you because you're trying to be a real Sikh then they're not worth knowing.

• 2 weeks later...

"NOW THEY SEE ONE WRONG THING AND THE BLAME THE WHOLE RELIGION AND JUMP AT THE CHANCE TO BECOME LIKE GOREY..ITS UR LOSS. "

That's a rather racist comment.

Ck ji, it's not my view..i got the peace of writing long time ago from somewhere ..i read it but not throughly so post this on the forum..

i m sorry about it..i ll edit some of the stuff.

No worries, N30 ji...I understand that you didn't write it.

I think the concepts are a bit superficial. There is a lot of finger pointing. The baaaaaaaaaaaad media. The baaaaaaaaaaad white people. The baaaaaaaaaaaad west that...for some reason, nobody seems to want to leave?

How much of this is due to a lack of education, and a lack of critical thinking skills? I read somewhere that 100 years ago, Panjab was the highest educated state in India. Now, it is among the lowest. Is this true?

The "gorey" aren't the reason for the fact that for evey 4 Sikh boys born in Panjab, there are only 3 Sikh girls. The "gorey" aren't the reason that 85% of Sikh men in Panjab drink alcohol, according to SikhSangat.com. The "gorey" aren't the reason why Sikhs in the UK or elsewhere are building caste-based gurdwaras. The "gorey" aren't the reason for the dowrys that make a Panjabi rista sometimes look like flesh peddling.

One needs strength and discipline to stand up to values.

One needs to have enough analytical skills to make a personal choice that does not involve simply following the crowd.

Without a desire to acquire, practice, and master these skills, this cycle will continue. We will continue to see Sikhs fall prey to the bad-influence-of-the-week and decry the bad influence, but we won't do anything to make the panth stronger. This weakness is a terrible achillies heal. Unless it is strengthened, there will be Sikhs stand in line to fall for future deviant temptations that come along.

Why aren't we decrying our drinking habits, or our television habits? No one forces us to use alcohol. No one forces us to watch television.

Why aren't we doing more to preserve the positve aspects of our culture? Is there any school in the west outside of U London SOAS that offers a university level Panjabi curriculum? I know of plenty of places where I can get drunk and learn how to Bhangra dance...but I can't find an academically sterling way to learn the language of our gurus.

If we want our young people to hang on to our culture, then must think of a better way of preserving it.