Baba Shaam Singh Ji granths/texts...

Vahe-Guru ji ka Khalsa Vahe-Guru ji ki Fateh,

Sangat Jeeo,

Could someone with knowledge of Seva-Panthi history/resources kindly shed some light on where Baba Shaam Singhs writings can be found.

I am particularly interested in learning Baba Ji's Raag Vidya in order to help fill some gaps which the panth has in it's understanding of certain issues within gurmat sangeet.

Particulary relating to Kirtan maryada and the rules of certain raags, possibly shedding some light on the Dhuni Vaars in Maharaj.

Any help or direction would be hugely appreciated.

I am aware a Gur Ghar was set up in Baba Ji's name before he left us (and that he humbly changed the name to that of Maharaj). I think that there may be a related dera there? Also could his family possibly be in possession of any manuscripts?

Dhanvaadh

Daas

You can;t get them. The granth is called Sri Har Bhagat Prem Prakash Ji. It contains sakhis and teachings, but it was stolen from Dera Baba Sham Singh ji at Atta Mandi in Amritsar recently I think, and if Im not mistaken this is the only copy. This comes from Dr. Gurmukh Singh, the top authority on Sevapanthis and their literature.

If its raag vidya then another granth of interest is the incomplete writings of Mahant Gajja Singh Nirmala of Patiala, who was in the process of compiling a full survey of reetan, etc when he renounced his body. I've asked about this and got no reply, even the highly slippery Bhai Baldeep Singh had no knowledge of this one!

You can;t get them. The granth is called Sri Har Bhagat Prem Prakash Ji. It contains sakhis and teachings, but it was stolen from Dera Baba Sham Singh ji at Atta Mandi in Amritsar recently I think, and if Im not mistaken this is the only copy. This comes from Dr. Gurmukh Singh, the top authority on Sevapanthis and their literature.

If its raag vidya then another granth of interest is the incomplete writings of Mahant Gajja Singh Nirmala of Patiala, who was in the process of compiling a full survey of reetan, etc when he renounced his body. I've asked about this and got no reply, even the highly slippery Bhai Baldeep Singh had no knowledge of this one!

I have an old picture from 1920 or even before but of I think its gajja singh of patiala but not sure. I will scan it soon and upload it and perhaps this can be clarified.

Did Baba Shaam Singh Ji not write 2 granths?

I have been told one was on Gurmat Sangeet.

The mentioned must be his recording of various events passed down oraly by his teacher, who's father/grandfather was a Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharajs personal bodyguard.

Veer's, if anyone knows of any literature or person who has puratan raag vidya, please let me know as I know people who are researching this area and writing books. We are trying to gather as much info as we can.

All the well known peoples ideas i.e. Dr Gurnaam Singh, Bhai Avtar Singh, Bhai Balbir Singh have been researched.

There were many sangeet taksaals set up i.e. damdama, Baba Attar Singh etc.. but most have turned modern, vajaa, bollywood or Indian Classical influence etc..

Budda Jhor (daal), remains uninvestgated (they are a little quiet), so if anyone has any relevant contacts here, would be a great help.

Vahe-Guru

There is only one granth but it combines sakhis about other Sevapanthi mahapurush with other information. It must contain the info on raag vidya in that as he authored no other granth. It is (was) very large, although I have no idea how many pages it ran to.

As for his parampra, if I remember correctly he goes back to Baba Sahai Ram, turned Baba Sahai Singh at the hands of a Nirmala sant, the seventh mahant of the Noorpur thal parampra (nowadays the head Tikana, of Mahant Tirath Singh fame). Those in the Baba Sahai Singh bansavali were all amritdhari/keshdhari Singhs. If I remember correctly Baba Sham Singh was the fourth after Mahant Sahai Singh.

• 15 years later...