Theatre purified for religious film

Amrit1972

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2006/20060922/punjab2.htm#2

Theatre purified for religious film

Our Correspondent

Amritsar, September 21

A local cinema house has been purified for screening a religious film. The Sangam cinema, situated just opposite bus terminal, was cleaned for the screening of a film based on the life of great Sikh saint warrior Baba Deep Singh who attainted martyrdom while protecting Golden Temple from Afghans.

The first cinemascope Punjabi feature film on the Sikh history produced with the biggest-ever budget of Rs 2.5 crore would be released in the theatres tomorrow.

In the film “Anokhe Amar Shaheed Baba Deep Singh Jiâ€, Sabat Surat Sikhs belonging to the holy city have performed all Sikh roles.

Mr A.P.S. Chatha, executive producer of the film, said the shabad singer, Bhai Guriqbal Singh of Mata Kaulan Trust, looked after the purification work at the cinema. The theatre authorities suspended the night show to carry out the purification.

Mr Chatha said a “deepmala†would also be held before the release of the film. A procession led by Bhai Guriqbal Singh would march towards the theatre after performing prayers at Gurdwara Shaheed Baba Deep Singh for watching the premiere of the movie.

Jaswinder Singh Chahal, a young director from Bollywood, has directed the picture. A number of actors, music directors, lyricists, cameramen and other technicians offered their services free of cost for the making of this epic. The film has been produced by Shot Real Production in collaboration with the Mata Kaulan Trust.

I think the whole process is a sham to be very honest.

If they want to educate people, they should try to be as historically accurate as possible and have them dress like the times, and create that atmosphere. Otherwise, we'll get another deal where people will give actors sant like status as they did after the ramayan series.

I may sound harsh, but I can't help it, I'm not all sweet ;)

Guest Javanmard

well assuming of course that there has been something called Hinduism before the British came. As far as I am concerned there just Vaishnavas, Shaktas, Smartas, Shaivas, Muslims, Christians and Sikhs in those times. Sikhs as defendors of Hinduism? please let me laugh!!!

These "religious" movie makers do nothing but portray cheap propaganda and prejudices and prove by all means that their own community is more virile than the others...not very different from boys trying to show off who has got the biggest toto.

These movies are made of nice vegetarian blue masculine Singhs, weak and treacherous Hindus dressed in red and of course dark hook nosed brutal Muslims dressed in green...and of course the evil guys speak Urdu and Shudh Hindi...

Regarding cleaning the cinemas before showing the movie in Chandigarh, how comical coming from the city that hosts India's biggest red light circuit where middle class girls offer their bodies in order to get themselves the latest trendy brands! Nice try Chandigarh, still not convinced! Mind you...I still love eating panir pizza in sector 17!!!

well assuming of course that there has been something called Hinduism before the British came. As far as I am concerned there just Vaishnavas, Shaktas, Smartas, Shaivas, Muslims, Christians and Sikhs in those times. Sikhs as defendors of Hinduism? please let me laugh!!!

For the avoidance of doubt, please could you clarify what the term Hindu within Gurbani refers to, explicitly when mentioned in the context of "Na koi Hindu, Na Koi Muslman" and other similar citations.

Guest Javanmard

Maharaj is using the language of his times with its limitations. By that time "Hindu" was a term coined by the Mughals to qualigy the non-Muslims and had as much accuracy as the term "Paki' to qualify all South Asians be they Panjabi, Gujarati or Bengalis. And like the derogatory terms "nigger" and "paki" the term "hindu" was appropriated by those it qualified with the consequences we know. But to talk on an entity called "Hinduism" by that time is pure illusion. It's like talking of "Pakism" which for a white English racist would englobe all the fancy Muslim-Sikh-Hindu mumbo jumbo. The tragedy is when the people who are been qualified with those terms start using it themselves and re-build their identity on it. Hence why the whole Hindutva movement is a joke: a "Hindu" extremist movement that define itself through a foreign Persian word with the negative connotation that word has in Persian literature. Imagine the farce of a "Paki' movement in the UK trying to prove that Muslims, Sikhs and Hindus are part of the same religion called Pakism! RSS and Hindutva are a dangerous farce!

India as a secular state should have prohibited all communitarian and religious parties ages ago!