what are the two paths?

i came across something interesting....so it made me wonder,..what are the two paths which the Gurus are talking about? Is it Islam amd hinduism(or in a larger scale- Indian religions and middle eastern religions) ?.

Page 688, Line 13

ਏਕੁ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਦੁਇ ਰਾਹ ਵਾਦ ਵਧੰਦਿਆ ਜੀਉ ॥

एकु साहिबु दुइ राह वाद वधंदिआ जीउ ॥

ayk saahib du-ay raah vaad vaDhandi-aa jee-o.

There is only the One Lord and Master, but there are two paths, by which conflict increases.

ਦੁਇ ਰਾਹ ਚਲਾਏ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਸਬਾਏ ਜਨਮਿ ਮੁਆ ਸੰਸਾਰਾ ॥

दुइ राह चलाए हुकमि सबाए जनमि मुआ संसारा ॥

du-ay raah chalaa-ay hukam sabaa-ay janam mu-aa sansaaraa.

All follow these two paths, by the Hukam of the Lord's Command; the world is born, only to die.

and also:

Page 142, Line 8

ਰਾਹ ਦੋਵੈ ਇਕੁ ਜਾਣੈ ਸੋਈ ਸਿਝਸੀ ॥

राह दोवै इकु जाणै सोई सिझसी ॥

raah dovai ik jaanai so-ee sijhsee.

He, who deems both the ways lead to one Lord, shall be emancipated.

Guru Gobind Singh created the third path right?

• 3 years later...

Faridkot teeka

ਤੂੰ ਏਕ ਸਭਨਾਂ ਕਾ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਮਾਲਕ ਹੈਂ ਔਰ ਜੀਵੋਂ ਕੋ ਦੇ ਰਹਾ ਹੈਂ॥ ਭਾਵ ਸੇ ਦੇਵਤਾ ਦੈਂਤ ਹਿੰਦੂ ਮੁਸਲਮਾਨ ਆਸਤਕ ਨਾਸਤਕ ਆਦਿ ਰਸਤਿਓਂ ਮੈਂ ਪੜ ਕਰ (ਵਾਦ) ਝਗੜਿਓਂ ਕੋ ਵਧਾਵਤੇ ਹੈਂ॥

(too ek sabhna ka sahib malak hai aur jeevo ko de rha hai॥ bhav se devta daint hindu musalman aastak naastak aad rastio mai par kar (vad) jhagriou ko vadhavte hai) Please forgive me for any mistakes in transliterating.

Prof Sahib Singh (i think also going onto the next line of the shabad in the below aarth)

ਇਕੋ ਸਿਰਜਣਹਾਰ ਹੀ (ਸਾਰੇ ਜਗਤ ਦਾ) ਮਾਲਕ ਹੈ, ਉਸ ਨੇ (ਜੰਮਣਾ ਤੇ ਮਰਨਾ) ਦੋ ਰਸਤੇ ਚਲਾਏ ਹਨ। (ਉਸੇ ਦੀ ਰਜ਼ਾ ਅਨੁਸਾਰ ਜਗਤ ਵਿਚ) ਝਗੜੇ ਵਧਦੇ ਹਨ। ਦੋਵੇਂ ਰਸਤੇ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਨੇ ਹੀ ਤੋਰੇ ਹਨ, ਸਾਰੇ ਜੀਵ ਉਸੇ ਦੇ ਹੁਕਮ ਵਿਚ ਹਨ, (ਉਸੇ ਦੇ ਹੁਕਮ ਅਨੁਸਾਰ) ਜਗਤ ਜੰਮਦਾ ਤੇ ਮਰਦਾ ਰਹਿੰਦਾ ਹੈ।

(iko sirjanhar he (sare jagat da) maalak hai, us ne (janmna te marna) do raste chalaye han (use dee raza anusaar jagat vich) jhagre vadhde han. Dove raste prabhoo ne hee ttore han, sare jeev use de hukam vich han, (use de hukam anusaar) jagat janmada te marda rahinda hai)

So two very diff aarths indeed. Faridkot teeka one is very interesting, seems to be talking about dev/dait, hindu/muslim, aastik/naastic, im not sure what they mean by 'aad'.

and prof sahib singh, about janam marna, which does seem to make sense considering the next line of the shabad.

lets just say all the meanings are right lol.

Edited by Silence

Bhai Gurdass seems to second Faridkot Teeka

ਵੇਤ ਕਤੇਬਾਂ ਵਾਚਦੇ ਇਕੁ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਦੁਇ ਰਾਹ ਚਲਾਇਆ

Hindus read Vedas and Muslims kaebas but the Lord is one while two ways have been devised to reach Him.

The wording are very similiar to the first shabad (Eik Sahib duih raah chalaeya)

bhai sahib amardeep ji .....the interpretation i gave of shabad on 688 is my own arth, but please forgive me as in this shabad i cannot see where it is written that both paths lead to God.........please could you show us where it is written on shabad ang688 beginning tuu sacha sirjanhaar.

thanks in advance

VJKKVJKF

It may be useful to consider God as a unity within which there are two poles. One pole of pure Being and the other of Non-Being. Although God encompasses both, if an individual wishes to serve God and thus reduce his and others suffering, then he must increase his Being. The Daivi Gun represents harmonious development, the sun and the planets move in ways ordained by God they are in harmony thus free from suffering. On Earth there is another force which come about which prevents individuals from moving in harmony with what is written for them, this is the second asuric path the way of rebellion. Humans are used by both. The third path is the eternal path of knowledge. Which is for Humans only, Angels follow only the first path and the Jinn/demons only the second. The Jinn/demons should not have existed I don't know why they did, but they hold up the progress of humanity. Through the third path which is also equivalent to the idea of the Holy Ghost in CHristianity Human Beings can be in harmonious development with their own destiny through reconcilliation of the other ways. Those who follow the Asuric/Jinn path are destroyed into constituent particles like dust unto dust. But this process involves great suffering especially if the person had a strong individuality. Through this dissolution they go back into the One but with no individuality and consciousness they are simply destroyed in great suffering into non-being. Through the third way a man can become a Deva and follow the path of amrit to be a conscious servant of God by increasing his being.

I would say on a Human level the attributes are mixed, so it is more complex. But on a cosmic level asuric powers are total negativity they are non-being. They do not exist it is a paradox. If some of this filters into a jeev then he has to be reincarnated to clean himself of it. The only means of cleaning is through the third path which forms a bridge between the other two paths, the non-being has to be understood and reconciled through the third way. Through reconcilliation the jeev can ascend to upper levels of being, it is said in some religions the angels rejoice when a man perfects himself because he has experience the angels do not, namely an encounter with the powers of non-being the Jinn/asur. If an individual is seen as a field upon which a battle is occuring, he has the choice of playing a part in the battle for good or evil. He may be weak in which case he is an average soldier who fights and gets killed and is of no importance it doesn't even matter which side he fights for. But an individual may rise up to be a commander in which case he has a great influence over the battle he may be a yuddhishtir or a duryodhan. In the battle the third path would equate with Bhagvan Sri Krishna who does not fight in the battle but supports one side/path(Daivic) and really pulls all the strings in the battle. Sri Krishna is the one path but he favours the devta, he reconciles the asuric with the devta, he is the bridge between the two paths again compare the Holy Ghost in christianity.

Guru Sahib, particularly Satguru Nanank uses ਦੋਵੈ word to represent duality (illusion of being separate from One).

ਏਕੁ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਦੁਇ ਰਾਹ ਵਾਦ ਵਧੰਦਿਆ ਜੀਉ ॥

There is One Lord, way of duality will increase the conflict.

ਦੁਇ ਰਾਹ ਚਲਾਏ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਸਬਾਏ ਜਨਮਿ ਮੁਆ ਸੰਸਾਰਾ ॥

Following path of duality, still within His Command, this world takes birth and dies.

Again,

ਰਾਹ ਦੋਵੈ ਇਕੁ ਜਾਣੈ ਸੋਈ ਸਿਝਸੀ ॥

One who recognizes path of duality as One shall be emancipated.

• 7 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Sat Sree Akal,

I believe that the 2 paths which Guru Jee refers to in the Ang 688, are: Gurmat  and manmat.

All beings as per laws of nature, or call it Hukum,  according to the seeds of  their own past karam,  either follow the path of Truth as per Gurbani, or does not. 

In that sense, either one walks towards Wahiguru or does not, so it may be well referred to these 2 paths in the Bani, the topic of this thread.  

And about the verse on Ang 142, I also believe, that  Guru Jee is saying, that either you follow the Hukum and repsect the laws of His  created Nature and allow yourself to flow towards Him through Bhakti, or either you prolong your stay in the mayavee creation by your manmat and evil karam,  receive the blows of your own past bad karam, and amend your ways, or call it evil /bad nature,  and thus the impressions or sanskaras of past joonees, avoid you in engaging in doing bad karam, thus you make yourself worthy of receiving His grace and return back to Him.

Anyhow, in the end, whensoever He decides to stop His khel, everthing merge back into Him, as it is that from Him all was created. He did not bring anything from outside to create,  He has that power, that gyan, all by Himself, to create the infinite creation of different planes of consciouss levels, such as material, astral , causal or the farther pure  spiritual planes.

In the end, i would say that, we people are beings of limited knowledge, so it would be more that suffice for us  if we understood just one thing which Guru Sahiban  stresses upon  and keeps on repeating throughout the Bani: 

Vin Naavai Ko Mukath N Hoe
Without the Name, no one is liberated
Raag Gauri Guaarayree Guru Amar Das .

His Name/Nam, is the only means to reach Him.

Sat Sree Akal.