critisising hindu avatars?

Bhai Gurdas explains waheguru mantra being the simran of V = vasudev, H = Hari, R = Ram and G = Gobind. Hence, the hari avatar of each yug.

"In the Satyug age Satiguru was Vasudev,

the sound 'v' is the repetition of Visnu's name."

Page 63 - Bhavrasamrit Tika - Tirath Singh Nirmala (2006)

but then i suppose he could be wrong... he's only a nirmala! :P

Did all Avatars have physical form? I understand that through the passage of time a lot of them have become symbols and metaphors but were they real in the essence of physical matter as we understand today?

Some Sikh scholars do confirm that Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh were indeed real physical personalities.

I must confess I have always found them fascinating

Did all Avatars have physical form? I understand that through the passage of time a lot of them have become symbols and metaphors but were they real in the essence of physical matter as we understand today?

Some Sikh scholars do confirm that Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh were indeed real physical personalities.

I must confess I have always found them fascinating

• 4 weeks later...

This was posted by the user Hari a while back.. Hopefully it will give you a newer prespective on your question.

http://www.sikhawareness.com/sikhawareness...&highlight=

This is a Shabad by Satguru Arjun Devan Dev in praise of Vishnu-Krishna Bhagvan (Sargun Vahiguru):

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=3794

You will see names of Krishna Bhagvan like: Madhusudan (Killer of Madhu demon), Damodar, Rikhikesh, Govardhan Dhari (lifter of Gavardhan mountain), Murali-Manohar (Manohar the player of the flute), Mohan, Madhav, Murari (the flute player), Narsingh (man-lion Avatar), Narayan (the abode of man), Bavan (Avatar of Vishnu), Ram Chand, Chakrapani (wielder of the Sudarshan Chakra), Gopi-nath (Master of the Gopi's), Basudev, Niranjan and loads more.

You will love this Shabad, especially if you are a Vishnu-Krishna hater.

Dhan Dhan Shri Krishna Maharaj!

Dhan Dhan Satguru Arjun Maharaj!

Vishnu11.jpg

In Giani Takhur Singh ji's katha, he says that in past ages it was Vishnu who was the avtar and the saviour of each age. But in this age, kal jug was so powerful that Vishnu said to Waheguru 'only you can prevail'. So Waheguru himself went in the form of Guru Nanak Dev ji.

a side note on avtars: Baba Harnam Singh ji RampurKhera had once told Giani ji that god himself comes into the body right when it's being born / or right after its born. So in this way, it satisfies teh requirment in mool mantr of god not being born.

and, i'm not sure if this was mentioned, there are many janams, i've heard vishnu, shiva, brahma are all janams - there have been more than one of each.

reminds me of a sakhi of inder devta. there was an ant, and a bhagat (forget the name) looked at it and started laughing. When asked why he replied that the ant had been the king of heaven in a past life, and had fallen from that stage only to reach it again several more times. Once again the ant wanted to be king of heaven.

and regarding the physical form, i've heard in katha that at a certain stage vishnu and other gods, demigods, devtay come to do satkaar of a sikh who's reached such a high stage. so i do believe they had physical form - definitely not metaphorical. nothing in bani that i've read suggests that they were.

• 8 years later...