Rastafari Beliefs

shaheediyan

Rastafari is not a religion. It's a black repatriation movement rooted in the Jamaican black liberation movement. The House of Lords has deliberated on the question of whether it's a religion, and they held that it was not. They said it was a philosophical belief 'similar' to a religious belief. Rasta is political and cultural.

Maybe you should go and educate yourselves and ask the Shashamane settlers which religion they are. All of them are orthodox Coptic Christians, to a man. If your brand of 'Sikhism' needs Rasta to be a 'religion' as a sort of validation by way of comparison, that's your problem not mine.

Strange, the rastafari I know wake up before sunrise to meditate, are vegegatarian and practice 'one love' to all.

They must be a bunch of fad-obsessed idiots, according to you. Now go educate yourself.

I don't care for this pop culture or the ideological propaganda spread by it. I especially don't care about the time when people wake up or whether they eat meat. If they are following biblical laws that probably reflects that they are Christians or Jews.

Rasta is about RACE and REPATRIATION. Nothing wrong with that, if you are black and those are your political views.

Weedol is spot on.

Haile Selassie was Head of Empire and by default Church (Ethiopian Orthodox) - standard monarchical arrangment. He never claimed divinity, divine movement or 'dur ki baani'. Although he was a cool guy and had some excellent ideas.

He was not recognised as divinity by his own people, only as a hero by all Africans and in fact many other nations.

His status as hero rose to divinity purely based on a tiny Jamaican population, who saw him as saviour due to a loose invititation by him to help them out of their socio/political/economic hell and repatriate them.

His mistake was that he never refuted the Jamaicans claims that he was God Incarnate, although he never agreed either - he allowed a Christian (Indian influenced) cult to be created.

This discussion has nothing to do with insulting anyone, but rather just stating some facts. They are free to believe what they like of course, and will of course have some good practices etc because they derive their ideas from a divine source, thats fine.

my view of sikhee doesnt depend on Rastas lol though im sure if there were some on the forum they'd have a lot to share about their beliefs.

im not saying theyre totally peaceful - loads of people dont get on with Rastas like homosexuals and others.

i dont really care for "The House of Lords" as an authority of what is or is not a faith. dont forget in the West "Jedi" & "Scientology" are accepted as a faith. also when the British first visited India suddenly "Hinduism" became viewed as religion as opposed to dharam & the after effects have been troublesome.

at least they have the sense to reject these Western "isms" and outsiders views being pushed on them as "Babylon" as opposed to sikhs who have accepted the western interpretation of sikhi as "sikhism" religion. this acceptance can be very problematic.

anyhow i suppose Weedol do you accept "sadhus" be they "Shaiva (Sannyasi) /Vaishnava (Vairagi) etc" as practising their faith?

Strange, the rastafari I know wake up before sunrise to meditate, are vegegatarian and practice 'one love' to all.

They must be a bunch of fad-obsessed idiots, according to you. Now go educate yourself.

Agreed....however, most I know aren't vegetarian. They eat eggs, and if they to eat meat they won't touch meat of the cloven hoof. eg pork.

• 2 months later...
Guest caveman

calling all Selassie I soldiers... Im a huge fan of shaka if anyone knows who the mighty sound man is, ive been going for around 4 years but have a lot of gian about shaka lol from my father as he used 2 go dances during the 80s and 90s and still goes now and then

personally, roots and dub is a big factor in my life it does help ie the messag eis always about spiritually becoming better read more bani etc stay away from babylon

'Without Any Apology, Jah Is Everything To Me, he means the whole wide world to me, hes the only one i seek', thats from a old school shaka dubplate im looking for, shows how much love Rastafarians have for waheguru how they seek mahakal and how much pyaar they have

guidance

Edited by caveman

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

i dont really care for "The House of Lords" as an authority of what is or is not a faith. dont forget in the West "Jedi" & "Scientology" are accepted as a faith. also when the British first visited India suddenly "Hinduism" became viewed as religion as opposed to dharam & the after effects have been troublesome.

Agree