Had a bad day ?

Freed

Had a bad day ?

was the boss on your back all day?

working on that powerpoint presentation that has to be given tommorow morning ?

Trying to look busy and keen - because the big boss is in today ?

maybe you're a student with missed deadlines looking for an extentsion - or frantically writing your dissertation /Thesis or maybe you're preparing for finals?

Aww poor diddums !

Get a grip people ! Stop feeling sorry for yourselves - sitting on your bottom all day, in your comfortable air conditioned office - tapping on your computer. You don't know you're Born ! - Think of all the sacrifices your parents and forebears made so you could enjoy your pampered 'Suit Boot' lifestyle sipping coffee and wondering if you should have that extra pastry or wait and have a major blowout at your 'expenses paid' Lunch

- They worked double shifts in Dirty sweaty Foundries and Lumber Mills so you could complain ?

OK OK I'm only joking - I'll get off my High Horse - Seriously though how many of us recognise the hardships the 'Pioneers' went through ?

Here's a collection of fascinating photograhs documenting the 'Pioneer' struggle - a circle that continues today - with each new arrival - be they Punjabi , Polish , African or Afghan.

The first arrivals - vancouver 1905/6

1starrivals1906vancouvelv5.jpg

vancouver1906yz6.gif

1907 British Columbia

1907bcxh0.jpg

The Saw Mills - 'There every time' - the immigrant work ethic

sawmillworkerdi5.jpg

Gurdit Singh on the Komagata Maru 1914

gurditskomagatamarueg9.jpg

Vancouver Labourers early 1900s

vanclaboures1900sev5.jpg

vancouverlaboures1900sfw6.jpg

labourersvancouverdv3.jpg

Multi-Skilled - Ex Decorated Soldiers, Dhadees and Saw Mill Workers

millworkersoldsoldiersns5.jpg

A Funeral in the woods

funeralbc1907lv4.jpg

Opening Ceremony of the Victoria Gurdwara

openingceremonyofsikhtezp3.jpg

Victoria Gurdwara 1924

victoriaguwara1924qj6.jpg

Stockton, California. Gurdwara

stocktonjb2.jpg

stockton1938hf4.jpg

Fraser Mills - British Columbia - 'Phulkari' and Skirt combination - only in Canada!

1920frasermillsbcnk3.jpg

One from Scotland UK - Glasgow 1957

glasgow1957yf5.jpg

Ranjit Singh 'Freed'

little off topic, just an interesting observation- note how in the last pictures most of monay sikhs have worn dastar instead of rumal.

Rumal is recent inventation i think. may be others can shed more light into this.?

little off topic, just an interesting observation- note how in the last pictures most of monay sikhs have worn dastar instead of rumal.

Rumal is recent inventation i think. may be others can shed more light into this.?

There are a few people that come to my local Gurdwara with Pughs on that are monay, I think its nice that they wear pugha once in a while but I think the fantanics will give this a no no? I dont know?

But yeah nice pictures freed you should make a website! You seem to have a lot about historical pictures.

Freed was always the last boy to be picked on anyones team in P.E. (thats sports for you non brits), he was no good at football because his little guti would cause the ball to go in random directions. He became very lonely at school and would hide at the front of the bike shed as all the other cool kids would be around the back of it :P

It was around this time Freed realised he didnt need living friends but would be happier with photocopies of friends pictures, by his late teens this had become his obsession. He would scan in everything from school reports to lesson registration charts, infact oracle the database giant was first built around Freeds collection. This collection was to form the first national database now used by police and the goverment, thats how much material Freed had collected in his search to create an army of virtual photcopied freinds.

In his early 20's he became crazy and wanting world domination began searching libraries for new friends who had died many eras ago, as he only required pictures and photocopies of the friends to make them a reality in his own world, time was irrelavant.

Realising his collection was becoming overwhelming and that he lost his pet hamster which he named Choowee somewhere in the moutain of photocopies and books, he decided it was time to get married and ask his new wife to help him file away his friends.

This mamoth task was overwhelming and their relationship began to crumble away, as Freed would spend more time with the photocopy of his wifes passport, taking it out to the movies and such, while his wife stayed at home filing away.

Luckily at this time the royalties from Oracle ment that Freed could afford to buy a new computer as well as a digital camera. The mounds of paper and books quickly became 1's and 0's on a 100 GB Seagate hard disk.

Digitising his whole group of friends seemed like a good idea, but sadly on one August night, Freed had installed an update for Microsoft Windows. He had not realised anyone who has such important data on a computer should never ever use windows ! and unfortunatly on that cold August night, he saw the blue screen of death!

Blue Screen of death

The fear of having lost everyone he ever knew and cherished led to a complete mental breakdown, he ran around the streets first in the nude, then later he found a pink cloth wrapping it around himself he ran and ran.. screaming out the names of all the photocopied friends he had lost.

Then another twist in the life of Freed occured one which would change him forever, since he had digitized his friends he had become lazy and forgot to memorise all their names which was his favourite pastime. He became confused and while screaming out the names began repeating two constantly one after the other.. trying to remember whose name came next.

As he ran down the street shouting out the two names Harry O'stevenson.. and Ramanundra Charistravati.. he suddenly remembered the next one which was Krishna Guru Murphy. but as the rain began to fall he could remember no more. So he screamed louder while bouncing around the streets in his pink cloth,

Harry... Krishna.. Krishna.. Krishna.. Harry.. Harry.. Rama.. Rama..

Soon others began to join in bringing with them drums and little things that go ching ching ching, Freed knew not what he had started, and one day while collapsed on the floor after all the bouncing and chanting, he had a vision, in a PC WORLD shop window front he saw the.

Norton Ghost

This vision of the Ghost gave Freed a glimpse of hope, he threw away his pink cloth and put something on.. we are unaware of what it could have been as there is contradiction in varying sources, some say he may have ripped the item of clothing others say he wore it ! but we are sure it was a t shirt and speedo trunks.

Freed went home and was able to save all his data threw the information provided by th Ghost, he felt that the ghost was more then just a coincidence or crazy vision, and told his wife

"Preeto.. I must find out who sent that Ghost to me"

Preeto replied. " Damn you Freed, you only just got back home and now you going on about crazy things again, make your own roti from now on"

Freed began his hunger strike some say as a form of penance to find the source of the Ghost visions, other say because he didnt know how to make his own roti. Whatever the reason the void in Freeds heart led him on a life changing search. Taking his Seagate Hard Drive with him he walked the length and breadth of Southall Broadway, and after 40 days and 40 nights outside glassy junction, he noticed the Gurdwara on the other side of the road. Following the Granthis who had just left Glassy Junction and were returning to the Gurdwara for their Rohl. Freed entered into the world of Sikhi, from that day onwards.. all is as they say hstory.

Freed became a devoted Sikh, he gained realistion that he would not find friends in pictures or murtis but should search within his own heart, that there was no point in hoarding all this content when he dies only his photocopied passport will remain nothing will go with him, so he should vand ke shak and share with the sangat. He offered the Gurdwara all his photocopies and books, however they were not intrested they had developed their own database of information more vast then any internet.

The Aunty Net, a collection of old aunties and occassionaly uncles who came together located in a central hub called the langar kitchen, and while making the langar they would create a network sharing information. Infact it was from this very design that Freed came up with the idea of Bittorrent

Unfortunatly he wrote his ideas down on a napkin, which he used to clean his hands after eating parshaad. Somehow that same napkin was thrown in the bin and found its way to the hands of Bram Cohen (see above link for info on this guy)

So Freed thought what does he have to give to the community, having found purpose and sanity in his life now what would he do? what of all his friends? He began looking for the answers in Sikhi, but he realised it was more and more complex the deeper he looked. Then hit by a brainwave and the wifes frying pan. He awakened to the realisation that he could use his life long methods of scanning and collecting to learn about Sikhi.

Since that day he has invested in another Seagate Hard Drive, and collected the whole of sikh history and such, infact some believe if you were to do a search on his hard drive you would find the meaning of life.

But to develope such a mind which could comprehend the metaphysical and metaphorical SQL statement to preform such a search would be beyond most humans. Those capable of such a mamoth task have developed an organisation and are practicing and developing their skills on something alot easier, the internet, the name of this adventourous and spritually graced group is GOOGLE.

Now Freed shares alittle of his vast collection to lucky followers of his cult, they can be found at the following Location.

This concludes our biography on Freed.

Please note: Some dates and descriptions may not be as accurate as implied. Infact it may all be totally inaccurate however in my mind it is the truth :twisted:

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

That's so close to the truth its scary !

That bit about PE is sadly true - I think the only time I was ever good at 'games' was one end of term 'sports day' at Primary school - I won the 'Obstacle Race' - but that was because I had an unfair advantage - The obstacle race consisted of various elements - egg and spoon - sack race - running over things - running around things and then finally a sprint while balancing a rubber ring on your head - me being a Singh I just put the ring around my 'Guttee' and ran like the clappers. Of course I won !

This bit resonates with the 'Mrs'

he decided it was time to get married and ask his new wife to help him file away his friends.

This mamoth task was overwhelming and their relationship began to crumble away, as Freed would spend more time with the photocopy of his wifes passport, taking it out to the movies and such, while his wife stayed at home filing away.

She reckons I only married her for her organisational skills that and her ability to conjure up a full Indian banquent at the drop of a hat !

Honest I aint that much of a sad case - well Ok maybe a little !

Oi Dynamic you changed your avatar - I didn't have a chance to take the mick -- It was a 'Matrimonial' picture posted on the sly wasn't it - It was wasn't it - you cheapskate! not paying any 'Auntie' introduction fees.

Was that hand pixellated or was it just a 'blur' - you showing off your 'manual dexterity' to the 'Laydees' !!!!

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

That's so close to the truth its scary !

That bit about PE is sadly true - I think the only time I was ever good at 'games' was one end of term 'sports day' at Primary school - I won the 'Obstacle Race' - but that was because I had an unfair advantage - The obstacle race consisted of various elements - egg and spoon - sack race - running over things - running around things and then finally a sprint while balancing a rubber ring on your head - me being a Singh I just put the ring around my 'Guttee' and ran like the clappers. Of course I won !

This bit resonates with the 'Mrs'

he decided it was time to get married and ask his new wife to help him file away his friends.

She reckons I only married her for her organisational skills that and her ability to conjure up a full Indian banquent at the drop of a hat !

Honest I aint that much of a sad case - well Ok maybe a little !

Oi Dynamic you changed your avatar - I didn't have a chance to take the mick -- It was a 'Matrimonial' picture posted on the sly wasn't it - It was wasn't it - you cheapskate! not paying any 'Auntie' introduction fees.

Was that hand pixellated or was it just a 'blur' - you showing off your 'manual dexterity' to the 'Laydees' !!!!

lol I had to remove that pic as it wasnt having the effect I was hoping.

I wanted people to curse me and hate me, insted they ignored me.. :(

I have no purpose in life when people dont hate me, so I changed the picture.. plus my mom got angry and hit me across my head.

Finger was blurred to avoid Neo giving me the "smack down"

plus.. the aunty network got back to my mom.. we laugh that our parents dont know how to use email and internet explorer.. but somehow they know everything !