Why do we still use the Harmonium?

Shaheediyan, as I said, with due respect for Professor Surinder Singh, who is a family friend of mine (!), I think you are taking a discussion and comment made to you personally (and others on this forum) a tad too far (i.e. as a personal attack on Professor Surinder Singh and others, who as you rightly state, are doing their level best to revive Kirtan and its maryada...I would even go as far as saying have been very successful, in that it is now common to see young children holding a dilruba, sarangi etc and learning their first shabd in raag rather than a film tune).

Perhaps you will note that I have not indicated Surinder Singh's views to be blind... I am discussing with you only!!!

shaheediyan, no offence but your compleately re-gurgitating everything professor says...which yeah is all good, but jus a quick question, slightly deferring from the point, i think its brilliant prof is trying to take on this great seva of teaching raag vidiya and gurmat sangeet...but raag is truley such a intricate and beautiful complicated thing, which takes years to master so how do u suggest prof can teach that to like a class of 30 kids-all at one time?, which he doesnt actually teach...its taught by a few 20-something yr olds who have only been learning for a few years themselves...which is brilliant but i personally belive if your not going to teach something as beautiful as raag, properly- so our satguru ji's traditions are made to sound as good as they can- then dont teach it at all

p.s jus a quick correction of your first post, i kno its a bit delayed but ive only just read it...but ranbir paji was given his first taus by satguru ji (it was actually satguru ji's own taus)...and it was th raj academy model that was then based on this

shaheediyan, no offence but your compleately re-gurgitating everything professor says...which yeah is all good, but jus a quick question, slightly deferring from the point, i think its brilliant prof is trying to take on this great seva of teaching raag vidiya and gurmat sangeet...but raag is truley such a intricate and beautiful complicated thing, which takes years to master so how do u suggest prof can teach that to like a class of 30 kids-all at one time?, which he doesnt actually teach...its taught by a few 20-something yr olds who have only been learning for a few years themselves...which is brilliant but i personally belive if your not going to teach something as beautiful as raag, properly- so our satguru ji's traditions are made to sound as good as they can- then dont teach it at all

p.s jus a quick correction of your first post, i kno its a bit delayed but ive only just read it...but ranbir paji was given his first taus by satguru ji (it was actually satguru ji's own taus)...and it was th raj academy model that was then based on this

Bhen Kaur-UK,

Professor Ji does also operate a Gur-Shishya system for dedicated students.

Students are taught on an academic basis, so not just learning how to play an instrument, memorise a raag and render an alaap, but also the history of raags, the meanings of raags, the formula's behind taanas, which audiences marvel at when famous musicians are simply using basic mathematical structures to entertain and a whole host more.

This is also creating awareness of Sikh music in the educational institutions and over time, this will hopefully flourish as more youth become experienced and are able to contribute in a myriad of ways to the propogation of Gurmat Sangeet.

There is a huge amount of info which your traditional Guru will not know, and take you years to teach (to keep them in business).

There is a fine line I agree with you, some things take time to perfect, but that comes with individuals efforts. The more in depth support is there for those showing dedication.

The programmes serve multi purpose, not just to produce singers and musicians, but also composers, researchers, historians, lecturers, media experts etc..

Only time will tell how successful these efforts are. Senior students have already played a large part in the latest album "Anhad", have toured and taught in India, America and Canada, Malaysia, Thailand... and there are many more projects which will involve just the students which are on the horizon.

The sangat will ultimately judge. We need only try to encourage and support the hard work of dedicated people, unless of course we are qualified or experienced enough ourselves, to offer suggestions.

Surjit singh Namdhari -sarangi vala

and shaheediyan, i do not doubt the vast amount of effort and knowledge professer has and shares with his student, and i know him and his students have been touring alot, but professer is still a student himself, and yes we are all students, we are all still learning, but i personally do not consider professer at an 'ustaad' level- musically-theoreticall yes maybe, but i still do not understand how he thinks he is doing the sound of raag and gurmat sangeet any justice, but again i suppose thats just personall opinion....your right the sangat (who coincidently has no previous knowledge of raag or gurmat sangeet so has nothing to compare to) will decide

Bhenji,

Surjit Singh Ji Namdhari was, only Professor Ji's instrumental Gurdev, not sangeet/raag Gurdev.

"your right the sangat (who coincidently has no previous knowledge of raag or gurmat sangeet so has nothing to compare to) will decide"

Don't worry, thanks to efforts of many in India, UK, US, Canada, Malaysia... this is changing, very fast. Watch this space.

ਅਵਖਧ ਸਭੇ ਕੀਤਿਅਨੁ ਨਿੰਦਕ ਕਾ ਦਾਰੂ ਨਾਹਿ ॥

Avkhadh sabhė kīti­an nindak kā dārū nāhi.

Have you got anything productive or educational to add? If not, then grow up.

If you are an expert on Gurmat Sangeet, then please enlighten us. And please do so on a new thread, this one is about the Vajaa.

It's not nice to ridicule someones "acknowledged" hardwork.

• 15 years later...