52 Hakums oF Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj

References: Book name is PSP-054 Kalgidhar Ji De 52 Bachan

Here is the site you can buy them.

http://www.nahal.com/philospunj.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Dharam di Kirat karni - Earn by honest means.

2) Daswand dena - Give one tenth of your salary.

3) Gurbani kantth karni - Memorize Gurbani.

4) Amrit Vaelae utthna - Wake up Amrit Vela (before dawn).

5) Sikh sewak di sewa ruchi naal karni - Serve a Sikh Servant with devotion.

6) Gurbani dae arth Sikh vidhvana tuo parrhnae- Learn the meanings of Gurbani from Sikh Scholars.

7) Punj Kakaar di Rehat drirh kar rukhni - Follow the discipline of the 5 K's strictly.

Shabad da abhihas karna - Practice Shabad Gurbani in life.

9) Sat-Saroop Satgur da dhian dharna - Concentrate on the True Guru (God).

10)Guru Granth Sahib Ji noo Guru mananaa - Accept the Guru Granth Sahib as Guru.

11)Kaarjaan dae arambh vich ardaas karni - At the beginning of a task, do ardaas.

12)Jaman, maran, ja viah mokae Jup da paatth kar tihaaval (Karaah Parsaad) kar anand sahib dia punj paurian, ardaas, pratham punj pyaariaan atae hazoori granthi noo vartaa kae oprunth sangat noo vartaaouna - At birth, death, or marriage ceremonies, do Japji Sahib, make Karaah Parshaad, do five stanzas of anand sahib, do ardaas, and then distribute Karaah Parshaad to the Panj Pyare, the Granthi, and then to the sangat.

13)Jad tak Karaah Parshaad Parshaad vartadaa rahae sadh sangat addol batthee rahae - Until Karaah Parshaad is completely distributed, the Sangat should remain sitting and unmoving.

14)Anand Viah bina grahist nahi karna - Do not start married life without Anand Karaj (Sikh ceremony of marriage).

15)Par-Istri, Ma-Bhain, Dhi-Bhain, kar jaanani. Par Istri da sang nahi karna - Recognize all other women other than your wife as mothers and sisters. Do not engage in marital behavior with them.

16)Istri da mooh nahi fitkaarnaa - Do not silence your wife?

17)Jagat-jootth tambaaku bikhiaa da tiaag karna - Abandon the worldly, false tobacco-poison.

18)Rehatvaan atae naam jupan vaalae gursikhaa di sangat karni - Keep the company of Sikhs who follow the Rehat and meditate on the Name (of God).

19)Kum karan vich daridar nahi karna - Dont't be lazy while doing work.

20)Gurbani di katha tae keertan roaz sunanaa atae karna - Listen and do kirtan and Gurbani discourses daily.

21)Kisae di ninda, chugali, atae eirkha nahi karni - Do not engage in slander, gossip or spite anyone.

22)Dhan, jawaani, tae kul-jaat da abhiman nahi karnaa (Nanak daadak tahe duae goath. Saak guru sikhan sang hoath) - Do not take pride in wealth, youth and caste. (Mother and Father's caste both castes. All Sikhs of the Guru are siblings)?

23)Mat uchi tae suchi rakhni - Keep the religious discipline high and pure.

24)Shubh karman tao kadae naa ttarnaa - Do not refrain from doing Righteous deeds.

25)Budh bal da daataa vaheguroo noo jaananaa - Recognize God as the giver of intellect and strength.

26)Sugandh (kasam sahu) dae kar itbaar janaaoun vaalae tae yakeen nahi karna - Do not believe a person who breaks promises?

27)Sutantar Vicharna. Raaj Kaaj dian kamaan tae doosrae mutaa dia purshaan noo huk nahi daenaa - Rule Independently? In the affaris of government, do not give people of other religions authority/power.

28)Raajniti parhni - Study politics.

29)Dushman naal saam, daam, bhaed, aadiak, upaa vartnae - Treat the opponent with respect (definitions of the individual words are unknown to me)?

30)Shaster vidyaa atae ghorhae di savaari da abhiaas karna - Practice the knowledge of weaponry and horse riding.

31)Doosrae mataa dae pustak, vidyaa parhni. Pur bhrosaa drirh Gurbani, Akal Purakh tae karnaa - Study the books and knowledge of other faiths. But keep trust in Gurbani and Akal Purukh.

32)Gurupdaesaa noo dhaaran karna - Follow the teachings of the Guru.

33)Raheraas da paath kar kharae ho kae ardaas karni - After Rehras Paatth, do Ardaas standing up.

34)Saun valae sohila atae 'paun guru pani pita...' salok parhna - Recite Sohila and 'paun guru pani pita...' stanza before going to sleep.

35)Dastaar bina nahi rehnaa - Wear a turban at all times.

36)Singha da adha naam nahi bulauna - Do not call a Singh by half of their name (nickname).

37)Sharaab nai saevani - Do not partake of alcoholic drinks.

38)Sir munae noo kanaiaa nahi daeni. Uos ghar daevni jithae Akal Purukh di sikhi ha, jo karzaai naa hovae, bhalae subhaa da hovae, bibaeki atae gyanvaan hovae - Do not given a daughter's hand to a clean shaven. Give her hand in a house where God's Sikhi exists, where the household is not in debt, is of a good nature, is disciplined and knowledgable.

39)Subh kaaraj Gurbani anusaar karnae - Do all work in accordance with Gurbani.

40)Chugali kar kisae da kam nahi vigaarnaa - Do not ruin someone's work by gossip.

41)Kaurha bachan nahi kahinaa - Do not utter bitter statements.

42)Darshan yaatraa gurdwaaraa di hi karni - Make pilgrimages to Gurudwaras only.

43)Bachan karkae paalnaa - Fulfill all promises that are made.

44)Pardaesi, lorvaan, dukhi, apung manukh di yataahshkat sewa karni - Do as much sewa as you can for foreigners, the needy and the troubled.

45)Putari da dhan bikh jananaa - Recognize the property of a daughter as poison?

46)Dikhaawae da Sikh nahi bananaa - Do not become an outward show-off Sikh.

47)Sikhi kesaa-suaasa sang nibhaaouni - Live as a Keshadhari Sikh.

48)Chori, yaari, tthugi, dhokaa, dagaa bahi karnaa - Do not engage in theft, gangs?, fraud, and falisity?

49)Sikh da itbaar karna - Believe a Sikh.

50)Jhutthi gavaahi nahi daeni - Do not give false testimony.

51)Dhroh nahi karnaa - Do not cheat.

52)Langar-Parshaad ik ras vartaaunaa - Distribute Langar and Karaah Parshaad with equality.

I agree with H singh,

There are no references made at the end of that post so I would request that someone provide the source of that post,

Stating it is a hukam of maharaj, makes it very official in terms of sikhi so the word should not be used lightly, If the author of the 52 characteristics has composed it from their own understanding then please state so, or if it is a correlation of different sources please provide a reference.

• 1 month later...

13)Jad tak Karaah Parshaad Parshaad vartadaa rahae sadh sangat addol batthee rahae - Until Karaah Parshaad is completely distributed, the Sangat should remain sitting and unmoving.

I beg your pardon but wnat to know the reason behind such act... :oops:

• 2 months later...

wjkk wjkfth

property meaning ure ownings ,everything that u own....e.g ure houses, mansions, cars.......stuff like tht

Gur Fateh!

OK, please explain why a daughters property, as in the conventional sense, i.e. as per Sarbloh Soulja's post, should be regarded as poison???

I'm sorry but I can't seem to get my head around this one.

Again, forgive my foolishness.

Gur Bar Akaaal!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ok.. my mum and dad always tell me "theea tho pesi nee leydhi" and this can be very frustrating especially when I offer them the money or stuff and I say things like "mum when i'm rich i'll buy you a ....." and shes like.."why? until i have my hands and feet and can earn theres no need for me to take things off my daughters."

My dad explains that that Guru Gobind Singh Ji wanted to abolish the money aspect associated with daughters, ie dowry and especially the selling of daughters. So he said that never should a daughter have her money/property taken off he by relatives or others. (ie the remark it is poisen to Gursikhs)

Some singhs (my dad tells me) wouldnt even drink water at a girls house because of this.

He also says that women when they go to their new house as wives should be treated nicely and not as the practice is nowadays to get wives from india, work 16 hour days and then to take their earned money off them making them dependant on the family.

you would be surprised how much this goes on. :(:(

Sorry if I have already posted this before. :D

He also says that women when they go to their new house as wives should be treated nicely and not as the practice is nowadays to get wives from india, work 16 hour days and then to take their earned money off them making them dependant on the family.

you would be surprised how much this goes on. :(:(

Sorry if I have already posted this before. :D

Gur Fateh!

Nihalo Jeeo, I concur with your sentiments, it is indeed disgraceful how much of this actually goes on! It makes me SICK!!! I apologise if the following comments offend anyone, but I wish to make my voice heard on this matter:-

Punjabi culture has clear aspects which are misogynist attributes which can be found today from the ‘unpar’ (uneducated) Jatt peasants through to the highly educated City dwellers…in and out side of India…from Punjabi to so-called practising Amritdhari Sikhs…

This type of treatment of females enrages me to say the least, I have seen so many examples in the UK and US of effectively ‘importing’ girls from India –excuse the harsh term, but in the cold light of day, that’s exactly what is being done –importing the family tea-maker, elder-carer and so on…there’s no feeling of respect for the women or girl, she is simply a commodity in these peoples eyes…also to blame are the idiotic parents in India who happily ‘sell’ the girls abroad in the vain hope that they may gain access to the UK or US through this connection…

I would urge everyone to have a look at the news article below charting the events of one Sukhwinder Singh Dhillon…a man most evil and perverse…I know this is long and twisted, but it’s well worth the read…

Sat Sri AKAAAAAL!!

Also see my comments under http://www.sikhawareness.com/sikhawareness...der=asc&start=0

Note referred to: http://www.tribuneindia.com/2003/20031113/edit.htm

(taken from www.thespec.com)

He killed and killed for a big cheque

A community newspaper recounts a serial killer’s exploits

by A.J. Philip

From left: Sukhwinder, Sarbjit, Khushpreet and Parvesh. Below: The Sukhwinder story on the cover of The Hamilton Spectator

A NEWSPAPER is often compared to a battleship in action. Everything in the making of a newspaper is done in a hurry. Hence journalism is defined as literature in hurry. In the perpetual search for new stories, little effort is made to dig deeper into a story to unravel the whole truth. Few newspapers have either the resources or the inclination to investigate as complicated a story as a serial killing and come up with a complete account, however shocking it may be.

An exception to this rule is The Hamilton Spectator, a community newspaper published from Hamilton, an industrial town near Toronto in Canada. What occasioned the unusual response from this 157-year-old newspaper are the wicked deeds of a hardy native from Punjab, whose greed, bigamy, perjury and anger led to a series of killings in Punjab and Canada.

It took more than a year for reporter John Wells and photographer Scott Gardner to put together the gripping story. That included a trip to Punjab last year. The series they developed represents the largest single investment of journalistic resources in The Hamilton Spectator's history. It is written in the style of a novel, but all of the detail, context, and dialogue presented, while employing the devices of fiction, are entirely based on reportage. That is the strength of Poison: A True Crime Story brought out by the newspaper in an unusual book format.

The story began with the arrival in Hamilton of Sukhwinder Singh Dhillon and his mother Gobind Kaur Dhillon from Ludhiana in 1981. His elder brother Sukhbir Singh Dhillon, who had dug gold in Hamilton, sponsored their visit. Sukhwinder and his mother did not reach there as economic refugees, seeking food and shelter. They were not like the boat people from Vietnam washed ashore gasping for a breath of freedom.

The Dhillons were relatively rich. They owned a 12-acre parcel of farmland and about 40 head of cattle. Canada, for Sukhwinder and his mother, offered not a glimmer of hope, but gold at the end of the rainbow, a promised land not of mere survival, but of riches. Soon, Dhillon earned the reputation of a clown. It started with the fact that he was obviously uneducated. He spoke even Punjabi in broken sentences.

However, the tell-tale sign was his English. Dhillon spoke no English, at first. He picked it up later, not from the classroom like the others, but from the street, friends, television. When he spoke English, it was gibberish, the words strung together incorrectly and quickly repeated over and over. "He painted his life in India as a tableau of sensational adventure and feats of strength. Listeners could not tell if Dhillon was joking or delusional or was really the tough guy he described."

Two years later, he returned to Ludhiana to meet a young woman his parents had arranged for him to marry. They had lived in the same part of the town, but their paths had never crossed. Her name was Parvesh Kaur Grewal. He brought her to Hamilton. Parvesh was beautiful, spoke good English and soon found a job. In due course, two daughters were born to them — Aman and Harpreet. To the outside world, they provided the image of a perfect family.

But in the two-storyed house on Berkindale Drive, the couple often quarrelled. Parvesh had got used to being physically assaulted until one day she called the police. He was released on bail. "It cost just $300" he boasted.

Sukhwinder stopped making an honest living in 1991 when he told his boss a lie that he fell off a moving trolley and hurt his back and head." He began getting accident insurance money. He supplemented his income by dealing in used cars. He developed expertise in cheating insurance companies.

Life was comfortable for him but Sukhwinder wanted more and more money. And he had got tired of his wife. On February 3, 1995, Parvesh died in hospital after Dhillon had poisoned her but no one suspected foul play. Within a few week of Parvesh's death, Sukhinder arrived in Ludhiana looking for a bride. Marrying a Canadian citizen like Dhillon was the dream of many Punjabis.

Sarabjit Kaur Brar from Panj Grain did not have much say when her parents found in Sukhwinder the passport to a better life for the whole clan. But she knew what kind of man the NRI was when on the first night, he impatiently asked her to disrobe: "Kaprey laah dey". He was not satisfied with her, either. The schemer had found another victim in Khushwinderpreet Kaur Toor from Tibba, whom he wedded within a few days of his marriage with Sarabjit.

He returned to Hamilton with the dowry he collected from the two families. There Parvesh's insurance money - a cool $200000 — awaited him. Life could not have been better for him. Meanwhile, in India, his second wife was pregnant. But he was not happy. "Children would identify him to everyone as her husband, something he could not allow." He had specifically asked Sarabjit not to name them. Yet, she named them — Gurmeet and Gurwinder. This infuriated Sukhwinder.

On his next visit to India, he got the opportunity. "Sarabjit joined the mother in the kitchen to make tea. Dhillon was alone with the babies." He poisoned them. They died on consecutive days. A month later his third wife Khushpreet died. Her final words were that he gave her a pill. Within a month, he married yet again, this time to Sukhwinder Kaur Grewal, his fourth wife.

Around this time, in Hamilton, he gave a pill to his friend Ranjit Khela to make up for his sexual inadequacy. Khela's wife saw him dying of convulsion. Little did she know that he had conned Ranjit Khela to name him as the beneficiary of his insurance policy. When the insurance official found that Sukhwinder, who was expecting a windfall from Khela's death, was the same person who had got a similar insurance amount earlier, he alerted the police. Investigations found that in all these murders he had poisoned them with Strychnine, a crystalline powder, colourless, odourless and extremely bitter. Classic Agatha Christie, Sherlock Holmes stuff.

Painstaking efforts by the police, who sent two detectives to Punjab, saw him behind the bars, guilty of poisoning both his first wife and his friend. Lost in the tangle of witnesses and evidence was another bombshell — that Dhillon might have also poisoned his eldest brother, Darshan, in which case he killed six, four in Punjab and two in Canada. For the Hamilton police, it was one of the most complicated cases and for The Hamilton Spectator, the toughest to put together. After all, the story had too many plots, too many characters and too many locales to give it a cogent shape. Journalism has become richer by Poison: A True Crime Story.

• 6 months later...

in one of guru gobind singh ji's hukham it says to believe in granth sahib as the guru. if you go to www.namdhari-world.com and read guru ram singh jis history, it says to believe in granth sahib as the holy book. how could both guru differernate two hukham's. some people believe in guru ram singh ji as their guru; does that mean those people are wrong. so who is right or wrong here? i am disorented can anyone explain? i have visited this site; the site is called http://www.sikh-heritage.co.uk/. if anyone visit that site, read the section about guru gobind singh ji's death.

cuz ram singh never called himself a Guru.... it's his followers that made it so...

Sikhi ends at Guru Granth Sahib..that's that... "Guru" Ram Singh was no Guru.. he vwas undoubtedly an awesome gursikh... but his followers made him a gursikh, not himself

pardan veer ji, no guru in the history claimed themselves to be guru. sadu or sants asked guru nanak dev ji who their guru was. guru ji replied, the guru is shabad. how can you contradict that to guru ram singh jis situation? go to www.sikh-heritage.co.uk and click on the section of research. once you click on research, read some facts on guru gobind singh jis death. whoever wrote the facts of guru gobind singh ji has evidence to support his arguments.

• 4 months later...

^ Why are people doing this? We only have ten Gurus and thats it! Guru Granth Sahib ji is our last and final guru.

If people keep making other gursikhs into gurus then Sikhi will come to have sects just like Christianity and Islam.

We are supposed to be a united brotherhood, so why are people going and making other new "gurus" ?

Do we really want to end up like the Sunnis and Shi'ites or the Christians and Catholics? :(

um ok just read some of the stuff on that site. So we have Namdhari Sikhs and what are other Sikhs called ?

Great we already have sects in Sikhi. Great.

I dont believe that stuff about Guru Gobind Singh ji's death, why would he stay around in hiding, he wasnt scared of the emporer and about him appearing later to assist people.. well my dad always says that if a Sikh is ever in great need and asks with a pure heart for help from the Guru, then the Guru will appear or help that person out.

So yes thats my explaination :oops:

(sorry if i make no sense)

• 2 weeks later...

ssa Niranjana ji.

i was reading wut u had to say so i asked my dad wut it means.

he said "kuri de ghar da khanna jaher de barobar aa". it means "wutever u free load, eat from ur daughters house is just like poison".

i have heard from elders and my parents and grandparents have always told me like many of urs have told u "apni bhan de passay nahi rakhney, kuriye toa passay nahi lai de"

the reason they say dat is cuz, in indian culture, not just punjabi...all the property, housing, values and etc. r passed down from father to son...not father to daughter. so therefore in old times..our elders believed dat since, the father haven't given her any property, he does not have the rite to eat or drink at her house.

i remember when i was young my mom telling me about her grandpa. she said dat whenever he went to see his sister(s) or bhua(s) he ate at home or someplace else. because he never drank or ate at their house or even pind.

im sorry if someone had explained this already but i just wanted to share my views and wut i have been taught. many of u mite think dat im old fashioned or a fob but i believe in dat...i dont think i would go as far as not eating at my sisters house, but i would never take or steal anything from her.

anyhow i know i probly have said some things dat i should have not and most likely made many mistakes. so please forgive me.

wjkk...wjkf

• 2 weeks later...