More Punjabi Artisans (Lockwood Kipling)

Freed

Gurfateh !

Here are some more Drawings of Punjabi Artisans and Craftsmen - this time they are Charcoal and Ink Drawings by J Lockwood Kipling ( Father of Rudyard Kipling) and Head of Lahore's Mayo School of Art.

It is interesting to compare the styles of Kapur and Keher Singh with that of Kipling.

In this picture - a folio from a Janamsakhi - painted in circa 1755 probably in West Bengal - we see the familiar 'flat' style of Indian Miniatures.The folio shows Guru Nanak and Bhai Mardana visiting the home of Bhai Lalo , the carpenter. Note how the painter has carefully shown all the tools of a carpenter

dsc01556ou7.jpg

In the Keher Singh drawing of a carpenter - the style is very much influenced by western styles of drawing - however attention is paid to the tools, just like in the older painting - this is perhaps because painters usually were artisans themselves - Keher Singh and Kapur Singh were Ramgarhia Sikhs - skilled in drawing from an early age - and very much aware of a craftsman's relationship with his tools and perhaps it is their way of underlining the central tenet of Sikhi , that of 'Kirt Karni' - The dignity of honest Labour.

dsc01535uz0.jpg

In contrast Kipling's Drawings focus on the individual Artisans - they were drawn in the late 19th Century but have a very 'contemporary' modern feel about them.

They come from the collection of The Victoria and Albert Museum London - with thanks to Amandeep Madra Bhai Sahib ( You're a star ! ).

J. Lockwood Kipling

Drawings in charcoal, ink and watercolour on paper Late 19th Century - Amritsar

A Cloth Finisher

clothfinishermb5.jpg

A Comb Cutter

combcutternz0.jpg

A comb finisher

combfinisherqu2.jpg

Dyeing Wool

dyingwoolsp1.jpg

Belt Weaver

edgingandbeltweaverrh5.jpg

A Loom for Shawls

loom4shawlsev7.jpg

A weaving Loom

loom4weavingtw3.jpg

loom4weaving2sy7.jpg

Marble Inlay

marbleinlaywg9.jpg

Shawl embroidery

shawlembroiderscb8.jpg

Loom Shuttle Maker

shuttlemakered3.jpg

Spinning Silk Thread

siltthreadspinningjl1.jpg

A silver worker

silverworkerrm9.jpg

Spinning the wool for Shawls

spinningshawlwoolfx5.jpg

Winding Silk Thread

windingsilkthreadiu3.jpg

Enjoy !

Ranjit Singh 'Freed'

Gurfateh !

I'll have a look for older pictures of Saaj being crafted - I do have these modern photographs which show the fast disappearing instrument makers of Punjab.

The pictures may be modern but they are 'Timeless' - you can see the same tools, the same 'working posture' infact the only difference from the Keher Singh drawings is that the lathes and vices are made of cast metal rather than wood.

This is a picture of Pritam Singh of village Boparai Kalan (near Ludhiana) - he is the only Sarangi maker left in Punjab - and he only makes them in his spare time out of love for the Sarangi.

dsc01564so2.jpg

A Dhadh maker in Boparai Kalan

dsc01560vj6.jpg

Narsingha makers in Amritsar

dsc01565hr4.jpg

A street of instrument makers in Amritsar

dsc01566cn7.jpg

Nagara maker in Amritsar

dsc01562ld2.jpg

Piaru Lal an Algoza maker from Kartarpur (Jalandhar), a famous centre for wood craft

dsc01561xr9.jpg

Gurdial Singh of Guru Nanak Music House, Jalandhar - a Tanti Saaj maker

dsc01563cz5.jpg

* Pictures from 'Folk Music and Musical Instruments of Punjab' - Alka Pande - Mapin 1999

I'll look for some more - in the meantime enjoy these -- "shaheediyan" I'm loving the articles you're posting on SA - Keep them coming !

'Freed'

Excellent pictures, thank you veer ji. I hope to one day visit you with a 10 tetrabyte hard drive and copy all your archive!

A now deceased relative of mine was also from Boparai Kalan, interestingly he was also highly talented, he was in charge of the Guru Amardaas Gurwara Sahib (Leicester) building seva from it's inception, his workshop in the Gurdwara contained many wonderful old tools like those shown in the pictures above.

The last picture is very interesting, Bauji is making a Taus (peackock shaped saaj, gift of Sahib-e-Kamaal), you can see the main body section (see ouline of wings) is seperate from the neck and head (see other saaj in picture).

I look forward to any old sketches/paintings you find of a similar nature...

Vaheguru

Have been looking for some older stuff - here are some prints that might interest you - I think they were copied from eBay ( not bought by me - out of my league!) I don't know their age - but they are interesting

Pakhawaaj

pakawajzi8.jpg

Sarangi

sarangioo1.jpg

sarinda

sarindahi7.jpg

Dholak

dholakux1.jpg

Instrument collections

dsc04484wd7.jpg

dsc04483xe5.jpg

Freed

Here's a quick definition fom Alka Pande's 'Folk Music and Musical Instuments of Punjab' (Mapin 1999) for you MahaKaal Singh!

Oh and before 'tSingh' Baba ji jumps in - yes that is a 'typo' it should read 'Udasi' not 'Usadi' :wink:

scan10080ix8.jpg