The effect of Bhai Nand Lal

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji Ki Fateh.

I am writing this topic in a sad and beautiful state of mind.

i have just read some of the beautiful poems of Bhai Nand Lal ji today, and im just numb. I feel so small and humble and ashamed at the moment.

Reading a few of his poems has made me think about how the relationsship between the Guru and his disciple should be,- that of love. I have till today thought it should be that of submission -keeping rehat and considering the Guru as a mere teacher you obey.

Bhai Nand Lals work has opened my eyes completely. I am so sad that i have not read his works earlier as they give so much depths to my faith. its undescribable, i do not know what to say.

Sangat jio, please spread the beautiful works of Bhai Nand Lal to every corner of the world and let sikhs know how beautiful Guru Gobind Singh was.

with love and humility.

Aad Gure namah,

Jugaad Gureh namah

Satgure namah

Siri Guru deve namah.

It doesn't have to be one extreme or the other, both prem and nem are necessary.

One learns kirtan, does riaaz everyday, learns a saaj, learns the intricacies of gurbani raag and maryada, learns to sing, learns composition, learns to sing in front of a large sangat....

This is no simple task, it takes years of practice and dedication (nem)...

The end result is the ras that one feels when the above steps have been conquered and one can perform kirtan for his Guru without even thinking about what he is doing, when the kirtan is pure expression and emotion... this is when the prem - Anand is achieved.

The prem also grows through the difficult times of learning the art - as one truely appreciates the genius and divinity of Satguru - who gave us this most beautiful gift/tool for finding Vahegurus charan. When things are not going well or look impossible... a heartfelt ardaas which always leads to success/improvement also grows prem for Guru.

The same is also truth for Shastar Vidya (or any true jang vidya), what seems seemingly impossible to learn, slowly unviels itself, and one develops pure love and appreciation for Satguru who gave us this beautiful and necessary vidya..... listening to shastra naam mala, one realises the transcendental love Dasam Pithaa had for shastar and dharam yudh, and one sees to what a high level Guru Ji raised this art and what they expected of their Singhs.

Reciting bani/doing paath, doing nishkaam seva in all its forms... all require both nem and prem.

Guru Gobind Singh Ji was pragmatic, a master of psychology and the spirituality... they knew what the perfect formula was to create a perfect people, they gave us pragmatic discipline in all forms - rehit - nem.. but also gave us the path to prem - seva, kirtan, naam abyaas...

Ultimately, one can achieve prem without nem, but we are not all so blessed, and our father loves all his children, which is why they have covered all scenarios.

It is purely our fault that through personal agenda, greed, pride, tribalism, castism, economic and social discrimination, ego etc.. that we can no longer attain that which Guru Ji blessed to us.