Parmar confession to Air India Bombing 1985

Confession allegation at inquiry; Slain Air India suspect Parmar reportedly implicated Sikh youth leader before dying

BYLINE: Canadian Press

More than two decades after Air India Flight 182 was blown from the sky, a public inquiry is set to hear about a purported confession by the prime suspect in the 1985 bombing.

Talwinder Singh Parmar, head of the militant Sikh separatist group Babbar Khalsa, was arrested shortly after the attack, but the RCMP didn't have enough evidence to make any charges stick. He was freed and eventually slipped out of Canada.

There have been claims for years that Parmar made a statement about the bombing -- possibly under torture or in an effort to shift blame -- before he was slain by Indian police in 1992.

The inquiry headed by former Supreme Court justice John Major is expected to start hearing evidence on the matter today, when two officials of the Punjab Human Rights Organization are scheduled to testify.

Their story was supposed to come out in June, when Sarabjit Singh, secretary general to the organization, and Rajvinder Singh Bains, the group's legal counsel, first came to Ottawa. They were accompanied by Harmail Singh Chandi, a former police officer said to be knowledgeable about Parmar's capture and interrogation. The three men pulled out of the hearings and went home in June because Major couldn't guarantee them anonymity.

But the story leaked upon their return to India when a magazine reported that Chandi had kept transcripts and recordings of the alleged confession.

Parmar was said to have confirmed he was involved in the downing of Flight 182 with the loss of 329 lives, as well as another bombing the same day that killed two baggage handlers at Narita airport in Japan.

But he was also said to have told his interrogators that the real mastermind of the plot was Lakhbir Singh Brar, a former head of the International Sikh Youth Federation who was deported from Canada as a security risk and is now believed to be living in Pakistan.

The RCMP is known to have investigated Brar in connection with the Air India bomb plot but never charged him while he was in Canada.

It's also known the Mounties have been aware for several years of the purported confession. Members of Parmar family say the RCMP informed them in 2002 that the force believed that he had been captured alive, interrogated and only then killed. A number of RCMP witnesses are to testify this week, likely on how they handled tips about Parmar's confession.

Now what excuses commitee members have to have this terrorist black mark picture in nagar kirtan parades and in their gurdwaras?

I just recently came back from vancouver, amount of ignorance there in gurdwaras its unbeleiveable, I been to gurdwaras it appears to me for them sikhi started from 1984, before 84 there were no shaheeds thats their leader( in this case babar khalsa). No research is being done on jeevani of shaheeds therefore no description is been added just same old pictures with guns and ak47 posted in langar halls just like gurdwaras here in toronto. This is extremelly wrong if you wish to have pictures of singhs with guns and ak47 you better take ownership to write something about them- jevani, their unbias deeds be it good or bad and let the sangat decide for themselves. otherwise media will grab you by nuts...we live in canada not in india where holding guns/ak 47 is allowed on license base.

anyway this cold blooded terrorist parmar have no place in sikhi let alone in gurdwaras. About time, mr vedanti should come out and excommunciate people have support and call him shaheed. what a thappa on dhan dhan sri guru arjan dev ji shaheedi.

"I don't think the truth about this incident will come out any time soon."

I think that is the most sensible statement written in this whole thread. Although I think Parmar probably did have something to do with the Air India tragedy, and that he did do some stupid things, the fact is that in Canada he was never persecuted with anything. If they had true evidence he would have been charged. Everyone jumps over him today because the judge in the reyat and Bagri (another guy that did some stupid stuff) said that Parmar was the mastermind. The judge calling Parmar the mastermind is completely ridiculous and completely against the Canadian legal system. Parmar had no trial, had no way of defending himself, the Canadian legal system and media paints nothing more than a one-sided, biased picture about Parmar so they can get the public eye off of the govt., and get more people to react to their news stories.

Dear Neo,

sikhi in a person life starts when they become aware of it. No-one says that sikhi wasnt here b4 84. I and my family only became aware of what Sikhi is after operation bluestar. B4 this my family had no idea about Sikhi, and this was the same scenario for most Sikhs in the westren world.

Now you saying that we belive there was no sikhi b4 1984, you need to check yo'self before you wreck yo'self. People like myself have never claimed there was no sikhi before 84, we can only claim that we were spiritually asleep bfore 84, and woke up in 84. please refrain from writing drivel, cos I know that you can do much better.

As for Satguru Fateh Singh, thankyou.

chatanga, that above comment was directed at mindset of gurdwara commitee and youth sevadars who have started doing seva at the gurdwaras abroad these days. I never said this goes to all khalistanis.

Here think about this, let me know what you think:

All the gurdwaras pretty much abroad have pictures shaheed singhs of 1984(not that there is anything wrong with that). What I really find disheartning that majority of gurdwaras dont have pictures or painting of puratan shaheeds during khalsa sherie punjab raj - for eg- baba bir singh ji naurangabda, baba maharaj singh naurangabad, namdharis shaheeds, baba sahib singh bedi, baba sobha singh ji, baba sahib singh kaladhari and many more. They make it seem like shaheedi/sidakta started from 1984, whereas thats not the case, in my eyes it appears that either people are extremely ignorant of puratan shaaheds history or they have dvaish between shaheeds of 1984 and puratan shaheeds or they simply dont care because shaheedi concept praticised by puratan bhramgyani singhs doesnt "fit" in their concept of shaheedi.

gsingh, me dont which gurdwara you go to,but at our gurdwara no-one talks about 1984 , or the Khalsitan movement. evrythig is on gurbani or purataan shaheed, so you are talking rubbish me thinks. Now thats sad.

In our gurdwara we have only 2 pics inthe whole place, and they are both of Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale. However we "youths" are aware of this and have started a project where we intend to put up pics of historical gurdwaras, which many people will not really have heard of and also write the history of that place alongside it so sangat will know.

We are hoping to focus on more less known gurdwaras ie the Gurdwara of Bhai NabiKhan Ghani Khan in Machiwara, Gurdwara Bhai Bachitar Singh Kotla Nihang Khan etc, where people generally dont think of going.

If any sangat here can ( esp. freed) put up any pics of the more less known but historicaly important gurdwaras , or post the links, and the history, then it will be really appreciated.

ok gsingh, who is actually ignoring Baba Bir Singh. Me who duznt know anything about him, or you who know about him, but havent been able to tell anyone. There are so many things in sikhi that we dont know about. we will only know when YOU talk about them. As for the e-parchariks they are talking about something they know. Why aint you?

Why isnt there info about Baba Bir Singh going around on the intranet?

And my benti is repaeted from my earlier post.

"confessions under torture mean nothing"

This is true and as highlighted above, it is questionable whether this 'new evidence' will really be submitted into any legal court. The story seems to be an attempt to sensationalise the issue.

"most people would say anything to get out of excruciating pain"

Yes, but not a Brahmgyani, which is a title often applied to Parmar by his supporters, infact in Toronto during the 1980s many who were there will recall his supporters offering flowers and money at his feet, all in the presence of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

ok gsingh, who is actually ignoring Baba Bir Singh. Me who duznt know anything about him, or you who know about him, but havent been able to tell anyone. There are so many things in sikhi that we dont know about. we will only know when YOU talk about them. As for the e-parchariks they are talking about something they know. Why aint you?

Why isnt there info about Baba Bir Singh going around on the intranet?

And my benti is repaeted from my earlier post.

maybe you don't understand my previous posts, but I wasn't putting blame on normal sangat for not understanding the jeevans of puraatan mahapursh, I was saying that the people that do know about them need to do a better job of spreading the knowledge. In terms of 'e-praharaks', the fact that they are spreading stories of singhs from the 80s is good, when did I say it isn't? My simple point was that those who know about puraatan mahapurkhs should do the same and thus spoon-feed information to the masses if they wish for the status-quo to change. Why are your posts so defensive? I haven't even challenged anything you have written but you take every comment as if I am trying to attack you.

Yes, but not a Brahmgyani, which is a title often applied to Parmar by his supporters, infact in Toronto during the 1980s many who were there will recall his supporters offering flowers and money at his feet, all in the presence of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

that's shocking. and unfortunate :| :| :| :| :|

that's shocking. and unfortunate :| :| :| :| :|

not only that, but according to soft target which has became common trend for sikhs in canada to quote - parmar was an extremely contoversial figure so much so much author declared him GOI agent:

According to the book:

- How do we explain state bank of india giving malik 2 million dollar at the same time accuse him and his freinds being khalistani fanatics?

- How do we explain talvinder singh parmar demanding for 500 dollars out of nowhere by inviting all the innocent people for their "chardi-kalah simran session" at 5 am?????

- How do we explain real shaheed bhai fauja singh ji;s wife accusing parmar for hijacking the movement?

- how do we explain parmar wealth in short little time to buy houses in cash in one of richest area in BC-burnaby? where is that money come from?

- how do we explain parmar one hand- fully denying his involvement killing police officers to the authorities and in the gurdwara bragging how he killed police officers in the india? i m sure chardi-kalah, farladhari maha shaheed gurmukh find lying obviously ok ?

anyway here is the download link to download the book, you be suprised at the some shocking reveleations :

http://www.gurmarag.net/SikhAwareness/Text...get%20ebook.pdf