Udasis and Sewapanthi

amardeep

Gurfateh.

I was reading about the history of the different sampardayas, and i noticed that some of them practice doctrines that are different from the teaching of Guru Granth Sahib mahraaj.

The sewa panthis do not live the life as a householder and get married, while udasis do not keep the sign of the Guru- Kesh etc, even though they are his missionary wing. What is the reason for this? Nirmale on pictures look more like Hindu Sadhus with ashes on their bodies and dreadlocks etc.

amardeep, you can find grishti exceptions to the celibate norms wihin these sampradhas, even sardar-looking (i.e. with Kesh and Dastaar) Udasis, but there is no uniformity as such, suggest you do a search for TSingh's posts which cover these and other aspects.

From JapJi Sahib, I would recomend the following stanza (and of course the wider pauri from where it is taken):

"Maney Mug Na Chaley Panth"

"to remain celibate througout life is actually in option in Sikhi...(as) were the 10th guru's sons - all unmarried"

Whilst there is evidence to suggest that separate written rehits developed for celibate existence within the Panth dinstinct from those of Sikhs/Akali Singhs, the reality is still that Grishti is 'encouraged'.

The fact that all of the 4 Sahibzadas were unmarried is equally a case of their ages prior to being martyred. Moreover, there is also evidence which suggests that Guru Gobind Singh's eldest son was married, although this hasn't been widely accepted.

Niranjana:

one could argue whether the rehat given to the khalsa are just "empty rituals" as the pauri you mention talks about.

but what about the matter of Kesh. I know psychichal appereance is not everything in Gurmat, but would kesh not be required of udasis, as it is the sign of the Guru, and they are preaching the Gurus message to the masses..

Kam wrote: "Niranjana one thing i have heard from Niddar Singh is thath Baba Ajit Singh Ji actually was married and at the time of his shaheedi his wife was pregnant. I personally dont believe this but this is supposedly passed down by the nihangs"

There is also a reference in Sikh Literature (apologies but I fail to recall which particular text, will update once I have the details) which makes the same assertion, so I don't believe this is purely Nihang Oral tradition.

amardeep wrote:

"Niranjana:

one could argue whether the rehat given to the khalsa are just "empty rituals" as the pauri you mention talks about.

but what about the matter of Kesh. I know psychichal appereance is not everything in Gurmat, but would kesh not be required of udasis, as it is the sign of the Guru, and they are preaching the Gurus message to the masses.. "

Taking each in turn:

1. The pauri doesn't refer simply to empty rituals, but specifically to the following of a "panth" which I understand (please correct if otherwise) prior to Guru Gobind Singh's use of the term as a separate faith, actually referred to "sampradhas" (which incidentally, also explains why some Hindus view the Khalsa Panth as a 'sampradha' within the wider Hindu fold). I am not a language expert, so will leave it for those who are to comment further.

2. What constitutes rehit for an Udasi is much larger discussion, I believe the answer to this question will come from looking into the point above.

okay since everyone thought I was being a 'twat'...I quoted this shabad from gurbani to give reference to bhai sangat sahib (If I have his name correct) the udasi mahant who grabbed his own dhari and stayed in bhaana and was excused by guru gobind singh who actually gave him a thaapi and looked at teh sevadars like 'why'd you bring him'......he remained the mahant of the dera and I see it as a blessing

btw, sangat sahib was keshdari and grabbed his own beard. It is said that the sevaks saw him in tapasya and felt that he was saintly and wasn't one of the corrupt ones but sangat sahib being a gurmukh, said 'I have to obey guru gobind singh'....

• 5 years later...

Niranjana one thing i have heard from Niddar Singh is thath Baba Ajit Singh Ji actually was married and at the time of his shaheedi his wife was pregnant. I personally dont believe this but this is supposedly passed down by the nihangs

This may be true as they got married pretty young back then.

Baba ajit Singhs son or daughter would have been the next guru.I don't trust niddar one bit.

He probably never had any children. Check this:

Wikipedia:

Nanak was born on 15 April 1469

On 24 September 1487 Nanak married Mata Sulakkhani, daughter of Mūl Chand and Chando Rāṇī, in the town of Batala. The couple had two sons, Sri Chand (8 September 1494 – 13 January 1629)[16] and Lakhmi Chand (12 February 1497 – 9 April 1555).

Guru Sahib was 18 when He got married. Look at the dates of the birth of Sri Chand and Lakshmi Chand. He had children 7 years after he got married! Guru Nanak had children basically after He got a job and could support a family. He had the right environment. Baba Ajit Singh did not have that environment where he could focus on family life.

• 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...