Bana

"Bana as far as the Sikh Rehit Maryada is concerned is a kachera and Dastaar for a man. "

Okk, but is chola considered bana. or it doesn't matter. Does kachera mean underwear.

"deepsingh, perhaps you could let us know what you think "bipran ki reet" is referring to?"

What i think bipran ki reet is referring to is that khalsa should be distinct, stands out. I may be wrong. if this topic has been discussed already could you please provide the link.

Deep Singh wrote:

Okk, but is chola considered bana. or it doesn't matter. Does kachera mean underwear.

What i think bipran ki reet is referring to is that khalsa should be distinct, stands out. I may be wrong. if this topic has been discussed already could you please provide the link.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the main Nihangs, Taksalis, AKJers all consider the chola as bana. SGPC/mainstream Gyanis consider a kurta pyjama to be bana, Sant Deras have their own take on it. The only consistent item appears to be the Dastaar and Kachhera, in line with the Sikh Rehit Maryada.

Here is an interesting artcile on the Chola:

http://www.amritworld.com/nihangs/chola.html

The Kachhera is in fact a complete dress within itself, Gyani Gyan Singh has provided tales of Singhs in his Panth Parkash, dressed in only a Kachhera, Dastaar and a Blanket:

Khat Ras Ka Wah Swaad Na Jaanai.

Kaprha Aur Na Tan Par Thhaanai.

Kamar Jaangheeya, Ik Sir Patka.

Bhoore Giltee Baana Jatka.

(They [the Singhs] do not know taste of six flavors. They do not wear any other clothes. There is underwear around their waists and a turban on their heads. They wear blankets, a Jatt dress).

"bipran ki reet" is commonly explained as "Bipran" deriving from "Bipar" = Brahmin, "ki" = of, "reet" = way/lifestyle/practices.

Where does this phrase come from and who is the author of the text?

amardeep wrote:

Is the Bana(the blue suit that most nihangs wear) only meant for the warriors as a military uniform, or is it meant for all Khalsa sikhs?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following links may provide some insight:

http://www.amritworld.com/nihangs/bluedress.html

http://www.amritworld.com/nihangs/gurugobindsingh.html

http://www.amritworld.com/nihangs/sahibzadas.html

http://www.amritworld.com/nihangs/sikhs.html

http://www.amritworld.com/nihangs/colors_nihangs.html

Traditional style Kacherey are made in such a way that you can wear nothing else and still be decent (for want of a better word). They also give you loads of 'room' keeping everything healthy, more comfortable than boxers, can't be pulled off, nala has many uses, etc etc

Quite a few Singhs from 3HO (check out www.sikhnet.com) wear Cholas to work. Personally i feel that 'Bipran ki reet' relates both to Hindu practices and trying to be like the majority (hiding your identity) - basically not having the guts to stand up for what's right out of fear of what others will think.

The Dastar and 5Ks help give the strength to stand alone. Hence the link between Bana and Bipran ki reet.

BTW - Bana for me refers to the external kirya of the Khalsa and Bani the internal.

Deep Singh writes:

"I don't know if you are trying to make fun of me or not, no i don't want a picture. What is the difference between a kachera and a underwear?"

You have been provided with links, references, quotes and information, yet you feel this is making fun of you? Moreover, you continue to repeat your question without even considering the information provided...

The Kachhera is at one level simply a sewn up dhoti. One knows that a dhoti is a complete dress in its own right, hence so too is a kacherra, as per the above quote from Panth Parkash, we know that Singhs would wear simply wear a Kachhera (of course these would be of a heavier nature than perhaps what is worn today, where to an extent, yes they have become a form of underwear, however still provide the necessary means to be worn by themselves if required).

Deep singh writes:

Also, if you don't wear bana are you doing bipran ki reet ? following the ways of the world. Or it doesn't matter what we wear. Living in the west can we still adopt bana? Or is it just history . Should the youth be encouraged to also adopt bana.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please could someone clarify what we mean by "Bipran ki reet"? As described above, the phrase in itself doesn't refer to "the ways of the world", but is a lot more specific than that, moreover where is this quote taken from? Without this establishing a firm understanding of this, this discussion will be based on faulty rationale...

There are 3HO, Taksalis, AKJ, Tapoban and Nihangs Jatha/Sampradha Sikhs living in the west who support the notion of wearing "bana" and do so to School, Work etc. however, it is easy enough to see that their "bana" varies considerably between them and in actuality does more to distinguish them as 3HO, Taksali, AKJ, Tapobani or Nihangs than simply serving the merit of being a Khalsa Singh. Furthermore, most can also be seen to wear both what they consider as "bana" and western attire depending on where they are and what they are doing, either way the consistent factor remains a dastaar and kachhera.

As Matheen has highlighted and as alluded to by in the Sikh Rehit Maryada, the requirement for a Sikh man is a dastaar and kachhera insofar as bana is considered.

• 1 year later...