Atamik Vichar part 3

source: Soceity of Saints by Sant baba Jagjit Singh Ji Harkhowaley

Era and Learning.

From five years of age to twelve, one should be encouraged to learn about religion. After this to the age of 25 one should be allowed to freely acquire any other type of knowledge they so wish. If the foundation of temple is strong then no matter what is built on top it will always remain stable. If from childhood a child is taught religion then later even when he is acquiring other skills, his belief doesn’t falter. That is why studying religion early on and about things related to it is very necessary. In the ancient period of the “Viydak” era, children would visit Rishis & Munis to obtain all kinds of knowledge and become trained in every aspect of weaponry. In “Budh” era they made great big universities like Nalanda, Texla and Bikshus roamed from one place to another to preach. With the efforts of Asoka the Great, religion spread fast within the country. Vidiya means knowledge, Vidivan is the one who gives vidiya to others, and Vidiyarth is the one who acquires vidiya and keeps to it.

The Vidivan who already knows vidiya can complete the search of a Vidiyarthi who is keen to understand vidya. During those olden days the ashrams of sadhus were institues where one could discuss various aspects of vidiya. Thoughts would be give to practise seva(service), simran(recitation) and satsang(good company). The fourteen attributes of “Bakhta”, one who gives teachings, and “Sarota” one who listens, would be taught there. Yog Kala, the art of yoga was explained to strenghten the spiritual knowledge, and Vidhant was given with vivek being made clear. Today is is a sceintific age where one is building beautiful buildings everywhere. They have forgotten the foundation of Vidiya. As a result there is a lack of preaching to the people, and in turn their lifes suffer. As the people change in character, through what they eat and how they dress, they forget to indentify the spiritual world, and therefore no one walks on that path. How does one then take the boat of his life across the ocean of this world? Religious places such as deras and Gurdwaras should provide for this where teachings of music, language, jotish and vaidik can be found.

Ten Signs of Religion, Nine types of Bhagti and four types of Bhagat.

There are ten teachings of religion which can be summarised as,

a.) to give;

b.) to stay away from fights. On purpose one should not do any wrong to another;

c.) to show pity towards poor;

d.) to always speak the truth;

e.) to always speak politely;

f.) to practise tapasiya (meditation);

g.) to give donations from their own income;

h.) to give food to the hungry, clothes to those in need, medicine to ill, and books etc, to poor students;

i.) to always keep cleaniness;

j.) to lead a contented life without unneccessary wishes.

One should take up the nine types of bhagti which are:

a.) Sarvan – listen with all your heart to what the Gurus, Mahatamas, and the Granth say;

b.) Simran- recite with a rosary the Guru’s Gur Mantra;

c.) Kirtan- praise the lord through singing;

d.) Padseva- serve in the feet of Guru and God;

e.) Archan- sprinkle essence where one bows in front of God;

f.) Dasa- be humble and keep a low profile;

g.) Sakhpan- hold a friendly and welcoming nature;

h.) Bandna- pay homage to the Guru and hold respect for elders;

i.) Bhagat Niveden Jaan- always offer food and water first to God through a simple prayer.

Bhagti means to adopt love and belief with the whole heart for God. It allows you to understand the principles of religion, allows you to remove illiteracy through knowledge, and allows you to gain great anand. When takes up bhagti and recites naam in these ways then he gains “mokshi”, the freedom of life and death. So when one listens, agree, puts into practise, and accepts the oneness between God and all lifeforms, they are doing bhagti.

There are four types of Bhagats- Artarthi, Artharthi, Jagiasoo and Giani.

Artarthi are those who do seva and simran to get rid of their pain and problems in the world. Artharthi are those who do bhagti to obtain material goods such as money. Jagiasoo are those who do bhagti to obtain God. Giani are those who by considering that everybody is the image of Brahm do bhagti. Only the Giani’s bhagti is recognised as best and foremost. Jagiaso are considered second to Giani’s while the remaning two are considered last.

For a Gursikh it is necessary to take amrit to become Gurdikhat, which is to become God’s child and follow the teachings of bhagti presscribed. One should get up early in the morning. If one gets up at one o’clock , bathes and then practises naam facing towards the rising sun, he then benefits a boon equivalent to that which one would receive if he gave away 75 “mann” ( 1 mann- 1 hundred kilograms) of gold as donation. If one gets up at 2 o’clock in the morning and does the same then he benefits that equivalent to giving away 75 mann of silver; At 3 o’ clock it is 75 mann of copper, At 4 o’clock, 75 mann of brass, At 5 o’clock, 75 man of milk and At 6 o’clock, 75 mann of water; But when one bathes after the sun has risen he does not gain either good or bad deeds. The act of bathing becomes purely physical and does not serve any spiritual signifance.

While doing meditation, one concentrates and goes through different kinds of expereinces before reaching his final goal. First one feels a sensation through the nose, then a sweet taste on the tongue, followed by cool feeling around the heart. With time they are able to visualise light like lightning in the clouds. Then one begins to see light as bright as the stars, that of million of suns put together, which is not harsh but warm. While practising shabad, shabad is brahm(universe), he then becomes one with God and agains Anand and is freed from the circle of life & deaths.

Shalok page- 1230 – Saraang, Fifth Mehl: My mind is neutral and detached; I seek only the blessed Vision of his darshan || 1 || Pause || Serving the holy saints, I meditate on my beleoved within my heart. Gazing upon the Embodiment of Ecstasy, I rise to the Mansion of his Presence. ||. I work for him; I have forsaken everything else. I seek only his Sanctaury. O Nanak, my lord and Master hugs me close in his Embrace; the Guru is pleased and satisfied with me || 2 || 7 || 136||

The bhagti of an Amridhari consists of the practise of bani. Each bani serves a purpose. “Japji Sahib” is recited to allow you to reach Brahmgyan. “Jaap Sahib” in which in the tenth Guru has mentioned 1300 different names of God, allows you to control over your mind and frees you of all evil within. This gives “Bairaag” (cuts worldy relations) so that one has an “Apram”, reserved position in the world. “Chaupai Sahib” pervents any disruptions and distrubances while reciting naam. “Anand Sahib” gives happiness of mind. “Rehras sahib” helpds you to give up the wrong ways and allows you to take up the right, while “arti” relieves you from all sadness and problems.

“Kirtan sohila” protects you from bad dreams and eveil spirits. “Asa di var” gives fullfilment of those wishes which are right according to Gurmat. “Sukhmani Sahib” is recited for the success of each of the 24 thousand breaths a person takes per day is 21 thousand. While sitting a person takes 12 breaths per minute, while taking 18, while sleeping 30 and while having sexual intercourse the number increases to 64 breaths. As sadhus abstain themselves from intercourse, don’t sleep for long hours they perseve their breaths and thus live longer. In the same way “Mool Mantra” and “Gur Mantra” recitation allows a person to achieve the same resulting in the freedom from circle of life and deaths.