Guru Granth Sahib's hyms for salvation!

SGGS Page 67

Emotional attachment to Maya is shed with intuitive ease, through the Guru's Teachings. Without the Shabad, the world wanders lost in pain. The self-willed manmukh is consumed. Through the Shabad, meditate on the Naam; through the Shabad, you shall merge in Truth. || 4 || The Siddhas wander around, deluded by Maya; they are not absorbed in the Samaadhi of the Lord's Sublime Love. The three worlds are permeated by Maya; they are totally covered by it. Without the Guru, liberation is not attained, and the double-mindedness of Maya does not go away. || 5 || What is called Maya? What does Maya do? These beings are bound by pleasure and pain; they do their deeds in egotism. Without the Shabad, doubt is not dispelled, and egotism is not eliminated from within. || 6 || Without love, there is no devotional worship. Without the Shabad, no one finds acceptance. Through the Shabad, egotism is conquered and subdued, and the illusion of Maya is dispelled. The Gurmukh obtains the Treasure of the Naam with intuitive ease. || 7 || Without the Guru, one's virtues do not shine forth; without virtue, there is no devotional worship. The Lord is the Lover of His devotees; He abides within their minds. They meet that God with intuitive ease. O Nanak, through the Shabad, praise the Lord. By His Grace, He is obtained. || 8 || 4 || 21 || SIREE RAAG, THIRD MEHL: Emotional attachment to Maya is created by my God; He Himself misleads us through illusion and doubt. The self-willed manmukhs perform their actions, but they do not understand; they waste away their lives in vain. Gurbani is the Light to illuminate this world; by His Grace, it comes to abide within the mind. || 1 || O mind, chant the Naam, the Name of the Lord, and find peace. Praising the Perfect Guru, you shall easily meet with that God. || 1 || Pause || Doubt departs, and fear runs away, when you focus your consciousness on the Lord's Feet. The Gurmukh practices the Shabad, and the Lord comes to dwell within the mind. In the mansion of the home within the self, we merge in Truth, and the Messenger of Death cannot devour us. || 2 || Naam Dayv the printer, and Kabeer the weaver, obtained salvation through the Perfect Guru. Those who know God and recognize His Shabad lose their ego and class consciousness. Their Banis are sung by the angelic beings, and no one can erase them, O Siblings of Destiny! || 3 || The demon's son Prahlaad had not read about religious rituals or ceremonies, austerity or self-discipline; he did not know the love of duality. Upon meeting with the True Guru, he became pure; night and day, he chanted the Naam, the Name of the Lord. He read only of the One and he understood only the One Name; he knew no other at all. || 4 || The followers of the six different life-styles and world-views, the Yogis and the Sanyaasees have gone astray in doubt without the Guru. If they serve the True Guru, they find the state of salvation; they enshrine the Dear Lord within their minds. They focus their consciousness on the True Bani, and their comings and goings in reincarnation are over. || 5 || The Pandits, the religious scholars, read and argue and stir up controversies, but without the Guru, they are deluded by doubt. They wander around the cycle of 8.4 million reincarnations; without the Shabad, they do not attain liberation. But when they remember the Name, then they attain the state of salvation, when the True Guru unites them in Union. || 6 ||

continue.....

SGGS Page 33

He is not obtained by mouthing mere words, but by rooting out ego from within. Meeting the True Guru, one is permeated forever with the Fear of God, who Himself comes to dwell within the mind. || 1 || O Siblings of Destiny, one who becomes Gurmukh and understands this is very rare. To act without understanding is to lose the treasure of this human life. || 1 || Pause || Those who have tasted it, enjoy its flavor; without tasting it, they wander in doubt, lost and deceived. The True Name is the Ambrosial Nectar; no one can describe it. Drinking it in, one becomes honorable, absorbed in the Perfect Word of the Shabad. || 2 || He Himself gives, and then we receive. Nothing else can be done. The Gift is in the Hands of the Great Giver. At the Guru's Door, in the Gurdwara, it is received. Whatever He does, comes to pass. All act according to His Will. || 3 || The Naam, the Name of the Lord, is abstinence, truthfulness, and self-restraint. Without the Name, no one becomes pure. Through perfect good fortune, the Naam comes to abide within the mind. Through the Shabad, we merge into Him. O Nanak, one who lives in intuitive peace and poise, imbued with the Lord's Love, obtains the Glorious Praises of the Lord. || 4 || 17 || 50 || SIREE RAAG, THIRD MEHL: You may torment your body with extremes of self-discipline, practice intensive meditation and hang upside-down, but your ego will not be eliminated from within. You may perform religious rituals, and still never obtain the Naam, the Name of the Lord. Through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, remain dead while yet alive, and the Name of the Lord shall come to dwell within the mind. || 1 || Listen, O my mind: hurry to the Protection of the Guru's Sanctuary. By Guru's Grace you shall be saved. Through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, you shall cross over the terrifying world-ocean of poison. || 1 || Pause || Everything under the influence of the three qualities shall perish; the love of duality is corrupting. The Pandits, the religious scholars, read the scriptures, but they are trapped in the bondage of emotional attachment. In love with evil, they do not understand. Meeting the Guru, the bondage of the three qualities is cut away, and in the fourth state, the Door of Liberation is attained. || 2 || Through the Guru, the Path is found, and the darkness of emotional attachment is dispelled. If one dies through the Shabad, then salvation is obtained, and one finds the Door of Liberation. By Guru's Grace, one remains blended with the True Name of the Creator. || 3 || This mind is very powerful; we cannot escape it just by trying. In the love of duality, people suffer in pain, condemned to terrible punishment. O Nanak, those who are attached to the Naam are saved; through the Shabad, their ego is banished. || 4 || 18 || 51 || SIREE RAAG, THIRD MEHL: By His Grace, the Guru is found, and the Name of the Lord is implanted within. Without the Guru, no one has obtained it; they waste away their lives in vain. The self-willed manmukhs create karma, and in the Court of the Lord, they receive their punishment. || 1 || O mind, give up the love of duality. The Lord dwells within you; serving the Guru, you shall find peace. || Pause || When you love the Truth, your words are true; they reflect the True Word of the Shabad. The Name of the Lord dwells within the mind; egotism and anger are wiped away. Meditating on the Naam with a pure mind, the Door of Liberation is found. || 2 || Engrossed in egotism, the world perishes. It dies and is re-born; it continues coming and going in reincarnation. The self-willed manmukhs do not recognize the Shabad; they forfeit their honor, and depart in disgrace.

continue......

Page 92

Calling him, "Mine, mine", she fondles him lovingly, while the Messenger of Death looks on and laughs. || 1 || You have misled the world so deeply in doubt. How can people understand You, when they are entranced by Maya? || 1 || Pause || Says Kabeer, give up the pleasures of corruption, or else you will surely die of them. Meditate on the Lord, O mortal being, through the Word of His Bani; you shall be blessed with eternal life. In this way, shall you cross over the terrifying world-ocean. || 2 || As it pleases Him, people embrace love for the Lord, and doubt and delusion are dispelled from within. Intuitive peace and poise well up within, and the intellect is awakened to spiritual wisdom. By Guru's Grace, the inner being is touched by the Lord's Love. || 3 || In this association, there is no death. Recognizing the Hukam of His Command, you shall meet with your Lord and Master. || 1 || Second Pause || SIREE RAAG, TRILOCHAN: The mind is totally attached to Maya; the mortal has forgotten his fear of old age and death. Gazing upon his family, he blossoms forth like the lotus flower; the deceitful person watches and covets the homes of others. || 1 || When the powerful Messenger of Death comes, no one can stand against his awesome power. Rare, very rare, is that friend who comes and says, "O my Beloved, take me into Your Embrace! O my Lord, please save me!" || 1 || Pause || Indulging in all sorts of princely pleasures, O mortal, you have forgotten God; you have fallen into the world-ocean, and you think that you have become immortal. Cheated and plundered by Maya, you do not think of God, and you waste your life in laziness. || 2 || The path you must walk is treacherous and terrifying, O mortal; neither the sun nor the moon shine there. Your emotional attachment to Maya will be forgotten, when you have to leave this world. || 3 || Today, it became clear to my mind that the Righteous Judge of Dharma is watching us. His messengers, with their awesome power, crush people between their hands; I cannot stand against them. || 4 || If someone is going to teach me something, let it be that the Lord is pervading the forests and fields. O Dear Lord, You Yourself know everything; so prays Trilochan, Lord. || 5 || 2 || SIREE RAAG, DEVOTEE KABEER JEE: Listen, O religious scholar: the One Lord alone is Wondrous; no one can describe Him. He fascinates the angels, the celestial singers and the heavenly musicians; he has strung the three worlds upon His Thread. || 1 || The Unstruck Melody of the Sovereign Lord's Harp vibrates; by His Glance of Grace, we are lovingly attuned to the Sound-current of the Naad. || 1 || Pause || The Tenth Gate of my crown chakra is the distilling fire, and the channels of the Ida and Pingala are the funnels, to pour in and empty out the golden vat. Into that vat, there trickles a gentle stream of the most sublime and pure essence of all distilled essences. || 2 || Something wonderful has happened - the breath has become the cup. In all the three worlds, such a Yogi is unique. What king can compare to him? || 3 || This spiritual wisdom of God, the Supreme Soul, has illuminated my being. Says Kabeer, I am attuned to His Love. All the rest of the world is deluded by doubt, while my mind is intoxicated with the Sublime Essence of the Lord. || 4 || 3 ||

continued.......

Page 114

Night and day, they remain in the Fear of God; conquering their fears, their doubts are dispelled. || 5 || Dispelling their doubts, they find a lasting peace. By Guru's Grace, the supreme status is attained. Deep within, they are pure, and their words are pure as well; intuitively, they sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord. || 6 || They recite the Simritees, the Shaastras and the Vedas, but deluded by doubt, they do not understand the essence of reality. Without serving the True Guru, they find no peace; they earn only pain and misery. || 7 || The Lord Himself acts; unto whom should we complain? How can anyone complain that the Lord has made a mistake? O Nanak, the Lord Himself does, and causes things to be done; chanting the Naam, we are absorbed in the Naam. || 8 || 7 || 8 || MAAJH, THIRD MEHL: He Himself imbues us with His Love, with effortless ease. Through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, we are dyed in the color of the Lord's Love. This mind and body are so imbued, and this tongue is dyed in the deep crimson color of the poppy. Through the Love and the Fear of God, we are dyed in this color. || 1 || I am a sacrifice, my soul is a sacrifice, to those who enshrine the Fearless Lord within their minds. By Guru's Grace, I meditate on the Fearless Lord; the Shabad has carried me across the poisonous world-ocean. || 1 || Pause || The idiotic self-willed manmukhs try to be clever, but in spite of their bathing and washing, they shall not be acceptable. As they came, so shall they go, regretting the mistakes they made. || 2 || The blind, self-willed manmukhs do not understand anything; death was pre-ordained for them when they came into the world, but they do not understand. The self-willed manmukhs may practice religious rituals, but they do not obtain the Name; without the Name, they lose this life in vain. || 3 || The practice of Truth is the essence of the Shabad. Through the Perfect Guru, the gate of salvation is found. So, night and day, listen to the Word of the Guru's Bani, and the Shabad. Let yourself be colored by this love. || 4 || The tongue, imbued with the Lord's Essence, delights in His Love. My mind and body are enticed by the Lord's Sublime Love. I have easily obtained my Darling Beloved; I am intuitively absorbed in celestial peace. || 5 || Those who have the Lord's Love within, sing His Glorious Praises; through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, they are intuitively absorbed in celestial peace. I am forever a sacrifice to those who dedicate their consciousness to the Guru's Service. || 6 || The True Lord is pleased with Truth, and only Truth. By Guru's Grace, one's inner being is deeply imbued with His Love. Sitting in that blessed place, sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord, who Himself inspires us to accept His Truth. || 7 || That one, upon whom the Lord casts His Glance of Grace, obtains it. By Guru's Grace, egotism departs. O Nanak, that one, within whose mind the Name dwells, is honored in the True Court. || 8 || 8 || 9 || MAAJH THIRD MEHL: Serving the True Guru is the greatest greatness. The Dear Lord automatically comes to dwell in the mind. The Dear Lord is the fruit-bearing tree; drinking in the Ambrosial Nectar, thirst is quenched. || 1 || I am a sacrifice, my soul is a sacrifice, to the one who leads me to join the True Congregation. The Lord Himself unites me with the Sat Sangat, the True Congregation. Through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, I sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord. || 1 || Pause ||

Page 115

I serve the True Guru; the Word of His Shabad is beautiful. Through it, the Name of the Lord comes to dwell within the mind. The Pure Lord removes the filth of egotism, and we are honored in the True Court. || 2 || Without the Guru, the Naam cannot be obtained. The Siddhas and the seekers lack it; they weep and wail. Without serving the True Guru, peace is not obtained; through perfect destiny, the Guru is found. || 3 || This mind is a mirror; how rare are those who, as Gurmukh, see themselves in it. Rust does not stick to those who burn their ego. The Unstruck Melody of the Bani resounds through the Pure Word of the Shabad; through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, we are absorbed into the True One. || 4 || Without the True Guru, the Lord cannot be seen. Granting His Grace, He Himself has allowed me to see Him. All by Himself, He Himself is permeating and pervading; He is intuitively absorbed in celestial peace. || 5 || One who becomes Gurmukh embraces love for the One. Doubt and duality are burned away by the Word of the Guru's Shabad. Within his body, he deals and trades, and obtains the Treasure of the True Name. || 6 || The life-style of the Gurmukh is sublime; he sings the Praises of the Lord. The Gurmukh finds the gate of salvation. Night and day, he is imbued with the Lord's Love. He sings the Lord's Glorious Praises, and he is called to the Mansion of His Presence. || 7 || The True Guru, the Giver, is met when the Lord leads us to meet Him. Through perfect destiny, the Shabad is enshrined in the mind. O Nanak, the greatness of the Naam, the Name of the Lord, is obtained by chanting the Glorious Praises of the True Lord. || 8 || 9 || 10 || MAAJH, THIRD MEHL: Those who lose their own selves obtain everything. Through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, they enshrine Love for the True one. They trade in Truth, they gather in Truth, and they deal only in Truth. || 1 || I am a sacrifice, my soul is a sacrifice, to those who sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord, night and day. I am Yours, You are my Lord and Master. You bestow greatness through the Word of Your Shabad. || 1 || Pause || That time, that moment is totally beautiful, when the True One becomes pleasing to my mind. Serving the True One, true greatness is obtained. By Guru's Grace, the True One is obtained. || 2 || The food of spiritual love is obtained when the True Guru is pleased. Other essences are forgotten, when the Lord's Essence comes to dwell in the mind. Truth, contentment and intuitive peace and poise are obtained from the Bani, the Word of the Perfect Guru. || 3 || The blind and ignorant fools do not serve the True Guru; how will they find the gate of salvation? They die and die, over and over again, only to be reborn, over and over again. They are struck down at Death's Door. || 4 || Those who know the essence of the Shabad, understand their own selves. Immaculate is the speech of those who chant the Word of the Shabad. Serving the True One, they find a lasting peace; they enshrine the nine treasures of the Naam within their minds. || 5 || Beautiful is that place, which is pleasing to the Lord's Mind. There, sitting in the Sat Sangat, the True Congregation, the Glorious Praises of the Lord are sung. Night and day, the True One is praised; the Immaculate Sound-current of the Naad resounds there. ||

Page 178

Taste the ambrosial essence, the Word of the Guru's Shabad. Of what use are other efforts? Showing His Mercy, the Lord Himself protects our honor. || 2 || What is the human? What power does he have? All the tumult of Maya is false. Our Lord and Master is the One who acts, and causes others to act. He is the Inner-knower, the Searcher of all hearts. || 3 || Of all comforts, this is the true comfort. Keep the Guru's Teachings in your mind. Those who bear love for the Name of the Lord - says Nanak, they are blessed, and very fortunate. || 4 || 7 || 76 || GAUREE GWAARAYREE, FIFTH MEHL: Listening to the Lord's sermon, my pollution has been washed away. I have become totally pure, and I now walk in peace. By great good fortune, I found the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy; I have fallen in love with the Supreme Lord God. || 1 || Chanting the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, His servant has been carried across. The Guru has lifted me up and carried me across the ocean of fire. || 1 || Pause || Singing the Kirtan of His Praises, my mind has become peaceful; the residues of the mistakes of countless incarnations have been washed away. I have seen all the treasures within my own mind; why should I now go out searching for them? || 2 || When God Himself becomes merciful, the work of His servant becomes perfect. He has cut away my bonds, and made me His slave. Remember, remember, remember Him in meditation; He is the treasure of excellence. || 3 || He alone is in the mind; He alone is everywhere. The Perfect Lord is totally permeating and pervading everywhere. The Perfect Guru has dispelled all doubts. Remembering the Lord in meditation, Nanak has found peace. || 4 || 8 || 77 || GAUREE GWAARAYREE, FIFTH MEHL: Those who have died have been forgotten. Those who survive have fastened their belts. They are busily occupied in their affairs; they cling twice as hard to Maya. || 1 || No one thinks of the time of death; people grasp to hold that which shall pass away. || 1 || Pause || The fools - their bodies are bound down by desires. They are mired in sexual desire, anger and attachment; the Righteous Judge of Dharma stands over their heads. Believing it to be sweet, the fools eat poison. || 2 || They say, "I shall tie up my enemy, and I shall cut him down. Who dares to set foot upon my land? I am learned, I am clever and wise." The ignorant ones do not recognize their Creator. || 3 || The Lord Himself knows His Own state and condition. What can anyone say? How can anyone describe Him? Whatever He attaches us to - to that we are attached. Everyone begs for their own good. || 4 || Everything is Yours; You are the Creator Lord. You have no end or limitation. Please give this gift to Your servant, that Nanak might never forget the Naam. || 5 || 9 || 78 || GAUREE GWAARAYREE, FIFTH MEHL: By all sorts of efforts, people do not find salvation. Through clever tricks, the weight is only piled on more and more.

Page 232

Those who are controlled by the three qualities have death hovering over their heads. They do not remember the Name of the Creator Lord. They die, and are reborn, over and over, again and again. || 2 || Those whose guru is spiritually blind - their doubts are not dispelled. Abandoning the Source of all, they have become attached to the love of duality. Infected with poison, they are immersed in poison. || 3 || Believing Maya to be the source of all, they wander in doubt. They have forgotten the Dear Lord, and they are in love with duality. The supreme status is obtained only by those who are blessed with His Glance of Grace. || 4 || One who has Truth pervading within, radiates Truth outwardly as well. The Truth does not remain hidden, even though one may try to hide it. The spiritually wise know this intuitively. || 5 || The Gurmukhs keep their consciousness lovingly centered on the Lord. Ego and Maya are burned away by the Word of the Shabad. My True God unites them in His Union. || 6 || The True Guru, The Giver, preaches the Shabad. He controls, and restrains, and holds still the wandering mind. Understanding is obtained through the Perfect Guru. || 7 || The Creator Himself has created the universe; He Himself shall destroy it. Without Him, there is no other at all. O Nanak, how rare are those who, as Gurmukh, understand this! || 8 || 6 || GAUREE, THIRD MEHL: The Gurmukhs obtain the Naam, the Priceless Name of the Lord. They serve the Name, and through the Name, they are absorbed in intuitive peace and poise. With their tongues, they continually sing the Ambrosial Naam. They obtain the Lord's Name; the Lord showers His Mercy upon them. || 1 || Night and day, within your heart, meditate on the Lord of the Universe. The Gurmukhs obtain the supreme state of peace. || 1 || Pause || Peace comes to fill the hearts of those who, as Gurmukh, sing of the True Lord, the treasure of excellence. They become the constant slaves of the slaves of the Lord's slaves. Within their households and families, they remain always detached. || 2 || How rare are those who, as Gurmukh, become Jivan Mukta - liberated while yet alive. They alone obtain the supreme treasure. Eradicating the three qualities, they become pure. They are intuitively absorbed in the True Lord God. || 3 || Emotional attachment to family does not exist, when the True Lord abides within the heart. The mind of the Gurmukh is pierced through and held steady. One who recognizes the Hukam of the Lord's Command understands the True Lord. || 4 || You are the Creator Lord - there is no other for me. I serve You, and through You, I obtain honor. God showers His Mercy, and I sing His Praises. The light of the jewel of the Naam permeates the entire world. || 5 || To the Gurmukhs, the Word of God's Bani seems so sweet. Deep within, their hearts blossom forth; night and day, they lovingly center themselves on the Lord. The True Lord is intuitively obtained, by His Grace. The True Guru is obtained by the destiny of perfect good fortune. || 6 || Egotism, possessiveness, evil-mindedness and suffering depart, when the Lord's Name, the Ocean of Virtue, comes to dwell within the heart. The intellect of the Gurmukhs is awakened, and they praise God, when the Lord's Lotus Feet come to dwell within the heart. || 7 || They alone receive the Naam, unto whom it is given. The Gurmukhs shed their ego, and merge with the Lord. The True Name abides within their hearts. O Nanak, they are intuitively absorbed in the True Lord. || 8 || 7 || GAUREE, THIRD MEHL: The mind has intuitively healed itself, through the Fear of God.

Page 237

They are at peace in their homes, and they are at peace while detached. In peace, their bodies' duality is eliminated. Bliss comes naturally to their minds. They meet the Lord, the Embodiment of Supreme Bliss. || 5 || In peaceful poise, they drink in the Ambrosial Nectar of the Naam, the Name of the Lord. In peace and poise, they give to the poor. Their souls naturally delight in the Lord's Sermon. The Imperishable Lord abides with them. || 6 || In peace and poise, they assume the unchanging position. In peace and poise, the unstruck vibration of the Shabad resounds. In peace and poise, the belestial bells resound. Within their homes, the Supreme Lord God is pervading. || 7 || With intuitive ease, they meet the Lord, according to their karma. With intuitive ease, they meet with the Guru, in the true Dharma. Those who know, attain the poise of intuitive peace. Slave Nanak is a sacrifice to them. || 8 || 3 || GAUREE, FIFTH MEHL: First, they come forth from the womb. They become attached to their children, spouses and families. The foods of various sorts and appearances will surely pass away, O wretched mortal! || 1 || What is that place which never perishes? What is that Word by which the dirt of the mind is removed? || 1 || Pause || In the Realm of Indra, death is sure and certain. The Realm of Brahma shall not remain permanent. The Realm of Shiva shall also perish. The three dispositions, Maya and the demons shall vanish. || 2 || The mountains, the trees, the earth, the sky and the stars; the sun, the moon, the wind, water and fire; day and night, fasting days and their determination; the Shaastras, the Simritees and the Vedas shall pass away. || 3 || The sacred shrines of pilgrimage, gods, temples and holy books; rosaries, ceremonial tilak marks on the forehead, meditative people, the pure, and the performers of burnt offerings; wearing loin cloths, bowing in reverence and the enjoyment of sacred foods - all these, and all people, shall pass away. || 4 || Social classes, races, Muslims and Hindus; beasts, birds and the many varieties of beings and creatures; the entire world and the visible universe - all forms of existence shall pass away. || 5 || Through the Praises of the Lord, devotional worship, spiritual wisdom and the essence of reality, eternal bliss and the imperishable true place are obtained. There, in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, the Lord's Glorious Praises are sung with love. There, in the city of fearlessness, He dwells forever. || 6 || There is no fear, doubt, suffering or anxiety there; there is no coming or going, and no death there. There is eternal bliss, and the unstruck celestial music there. The devotees dwell there, with the Kirtan of the Lord's Praises as their support. || 7 || There is no end or limitation to the Supreme Lord God. Who can enbrace His contemplation? Says Nanak, when the Lord showers His Mercy, the imperishable home is obtained; in the Saadh Sangat, you shall be saved. || 8 || 4 || GAUREE, FIFTH MEHL: One who kills this is a spiritual hero. One who kills this is perfect. One who kills this obtains glorious greatness. One who kills this is freed of suffering. || 1 || How rare is such a person, who kills and casts off duality. Killing it, he attains Raja Yoga, the Yoga of meditation and success. || 1 || Pause ||

Page 238

One who kills this has no fear. One who kills this is absorbed in the Naam. One who kills this has his desires quenched. One who kills this is approved in the Court of the Lord. || 2 || One who kills this is wealthy and prosperous. One who kills this is honorable. One who kills this is truly a celibate. One who kills this attains salvation. || 3 || One who kills this - his coming is auspicious. One who kills this is steady and wealthy. One who kills this is very fortunate. One who kills this remains awake and aware, night and day. || 4 || One who kills this is Jivan Mukta, liberated while yet alive. One who kills this lives a pure lifestyle. One who kills this is spiritually wise. One who kills this meditates intuitively. || 5 || Without killing this, one is not acceptable, even though one may perform millions of rituals, chants and austerities. Without killing this, one does not escape the cycle of reincarnation. Without killing this, one does not escape death. || 6 || Without killing this, one does not obtain spiritual wisdom. Without killing this, one's impurity is not washed off. Without killing this, everything is filthy. Without killing this, everything is a losing game. || 7 || When the Lord, the Treasure of Mercy, bestows His Mercy, one obtains release, and attains total perfection. One whose duality has been killed by the Guru, says Nanak, contemplates God. || 8 || 5 || GAUREE, FIFTH MEHL: When someone attaches himself to the Lord, then everyone is his friend. When someone attaches himself to the Lord, then his consciousness is steady. When someone attaches himself to the Lord, he is not afflicted by worries. When someone attaches himself to the Lord, he is emancipated. || 1 || O my mind, unite yourself with the Lord. Nothing else is of any use to you. || 1 || Pause || The great and powerful people of the world are of no use, you fool! The Lord's slave may be born of humble origins, but in his company, you shall be saved in an instant. || 2 || Hearing the Naam, the Name of the Lord, is equal to millions of cleansing baths. Meditating on it is equal to millions of worship ceremonies. Hearing the Word of the Lord's Bani is equal to giving millions in alms. To know the way, through the Guru, is equal to millions of rewards. || 3 || Within your mind, over and over again, think of Him, and your love of Maya shall depart. The Imperishable Lord is always with you. O my mind, immerse yourself in the Love of the Lord. || 4 || Working for Him, all hunger departs. Working for Him, the Messenger of Death will not be watching you. Working for Him, you shall obtain glorious greatness. Working for Him, you shall become immortal. || 5 || His servant does not suffer punishment. His servant suffers no loss. In His Court, His servant does not have to answer for his account. So serve Him with distinction. || 6 || He is not lacking in anything. He Himself is One, although He appears in so many forms. By His Glance of Grace, you shall be happy forever. So work for Him, O my mind. || 7 || No one is clever, and no one is foolish. No one is weak, and no one is a hero.