some chapters from "Biography of Sant Baba Harnam Singh

Happy 21st Barsi of Sant Baba Harnam Singh Ji

chapters 1-34 of the book can be downloaded from the BOSS site here

http://www.sikhi.org.uk/articles/?Midcell=...ection=Articles

Following is an interesting story about S. Wadhwawa Singh Ji from the same book "Biography of Sant Baba Harnam Singh Ji". S. Wadhwawa Singh had the routine of doing a lot of nitnem but never got any spiritual heights.

=========

Chapter 71

Gurbani Becomes more beneficial When it is read while hearing it

S. Wadhawa Singh Ji whose name has been mentioned in the previous chapters, was one of the pioneers in Baba Ji's company. After passing M.A. he started earning his livelihood by joining the languages dept punjab. Whenever he had time or some holiday he would come to Baba Ji's Sangat. He had adopted the path of a true gursikh. Apart from doing Nit-Nem, it had become his routine to do path of Sukhmani Sahib, Asa di vaar and 27 paths of Benti Chopai.

At one time he requested Baba Ji, I do path of above mentioned banis daily, but upto now I could not achieve any spiritual height whats the reason?

Baba Ji did not satisfy anybody like false giani (false preachers). He would tell only that thing to others about which he had practical knowledge or about which the Great Guru had given some guidance. So listening to the question of S. Wadhawa Singh, he remained silent for sometime and then said, " Let us go and pray in the feet of the Great Guru-Shri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Whatever the order we get from Him, you are to accept that."

So both of them went to Shri Guru Granth Sahib and bowed properly. Baba ji began to pray while S. Wadhawa Singh began to wave whisk (Chaur Sahib). After ardas both of them concentrated in simran with consciousness. In this deep rooted consciousness. Baba Ji got holy glimpses of Shri Guru Gobind Singh Ji, The Great Emperor ordered, "Bhai Harnam Singh Ji, asked Wadhawa Singh to do as much path as he likes but it must be audible to us. The number of paths don't matter. Instead of doing 27 paths of Benti-Chopai, it is better if he does only one path but it should be heard to us. It will be more beneficial. His nit-nem reaches us, no doubt, but not ardas.

Doing ardas is a must after Nit-nem and simran

Baba Ji told both the order of the Great Guru to S. Wadhawa Singh. Hearing these words he said, "Baba Ji, I don't have holy glimpses of the Great Guru, How can I read out Gurbani to him?"

Baba ji again conveyed his message to the Great Guru. The Great Guru again ordered "Whatever Bani he reads and if he hears that bani mentally, that is understood that we have heard Gurbani whatever he has read. Any devotee who simply goes on reading and reading Gurbani but mentally he does not hear or become attuned to it, his read Gurbani does not reach us. If he wants that his read out Gurbani should be heard, then first of all he should hear it mentally, the recitation of the Gurmantra and mool mantra is also to be done on the same lines"

About ardas, Bhai Wadhawa Singh ji admitted before Baba Ji, " I do Nit-Nem, no doubt, but I never did ardas after that because I was of the view that the Great Guru knew everything."

So it becomes very clear that a devotee must do ardas after doing nit-nem, Simran or reading Gurbani as , "O Great Guru by your grace and blessings, Nit-Nem or Simran has been accomplished. Please accept it in your treasure and bless the humble servants with these blessing(any sort of spiritual or other things you want to beg). Please forgive my ommissions and mistakes if any... etc.."

By doing ardas, the supreme Lord showers such blessings and secret powers which we cannot get even by doing path, recitation, or simran. On this door step do as in the Swayas Vth Guru, page-1386

If it pleases thee, O Lord,

Harken thou my prayer and supplication.

My mind yearning is that

Thou mayest bless me with thy vision.

O Lord; this soul of mine abides in thine meditation.

And Suhi 1st Guru page-752

Nanak makes a supplication,

"O Lord, if such be thy will bless me thou

With an abode in thy name,

That I may ever singh thine praise."

And Suhi 5th Guru, page-737

Joining both the hands,

I make a supplication before thee,

O my Lord. if thou willest,

Then above thou embellishest me.

Show thou mercy unto me,

O Lord and bless me with thine devotional service.

Servant Nanak, ever contemplates his Lord.

So we should try to hear the simran or the Gurbani which we read. The significance of hearing is very clearly depicted in Japuji Sahib by Shri Guru Nanak Dev Ji.

Mortal becomes a perfect saint,

A religious guide, a spiritual leader and great yogi,

By hearing the name of God.

Reality of Earth and the bull supporting it

And of Heaven becomes known

Knowledge of the world, continents

and other regions is gained by the mortal

Death cannot touch and come near the mortal

By hearing the Name of God.

(Sat Guru) Nanak ( says that)

Saints always remain blissful.

Diseases and sins are destroyed

By Hearing the Name of God.

The status and power of Shiva, God of death,

Of Brahma, God of creation,

And of Indra, God of rain,

Are obtained by hearing the Name of God.

Even a sinner begins uttering praises of God,

After listening the Name of God.

By Hearing the Name of God,

The method of realizing Him,

And the secrets of human body, become known.

Knowledge of the four religious books,

The six schools of philosophy

And twenty-four ceremonial treatises is

Attained by hearing the Name of God.

(Sat Guru) Nanak says that

Saints always remain blissful.

Truthfulness, contentment and divine knowledge

Are obtained by hearing the Name of God.

Spiritual benefits of the bath

At Sixty eight places is

Obtained by hearing the Name of God.

One gets honours by hearing and reading

Again and again the name of God.

One is absorbed in the meditation of God

Easily by hearing the Name.

True Saints always remain blissful.

Disease and sins are destroyed

One dives deep into the ocean of virtues

Mortal becomes a scholar, a spiritual guide

And an emperor by hearing the Name of God.

The blind sees that way by hearing the Name of God.

Unfathomable Lord becomes fathomable

The true saints always remain blissful.

And again in Japuji Sahib:

Sing and hear the praises of God

And keep love for him in the heart.

Then you will obtain joy in your mind

And throw away your pain.

The 3rd Guru orders in Anand Sahib:

O my most lucky-friends,

Hear, this is the Anand

(True song of greatest spiritual bliss)

Which fulfills all my objects and desires.

I have realized God, the supreme Brahm

And all my griefs have vanished.

My sorrows, pains and sufferings have

Left me on hearing the true word.

The pious men get joy on hearing it,

From the perfect Guru.

They, who hear it, are pure,

They who utter it, are stainless;

And the True Guru will occupy their hearts.

The celestial trumpets blow

In honour of those devotees,

Who are absorbed in the worship

Of the feet of the True Guru.

Besides all this, Sikh history also witnesses it that when the Great Guru Nanak Dev Ji lived in the Beini stream at Sultanpur lodhi, then the blessings of mool mantra and Gurmantra were got from the Almighty so that the peace should prevail in the general public.

After remaining disappeared for three days in Beini stream, the visible ears of the world were echoed by the holy sound of Guru Nanak "None is Hindu, None is muslim." General public assembled there. Kazi (Muslim judge) got angry and said " If all are equal and in your views i.e. none is Hindu or None is Muslim, then come along with us to pay Namaz (Muslim Ardas)."

At once Guru Nanak Dev Ji got ready, went to the mosque(masjid) but he did not read namaz. On the contrary he kept on smiling. Nawab and Kazi got angry and said, "You had come here to read namaz, but that to talk namaz you were mocking at the others". There Great Guru replied, "You had brought me here to read namaz of Allah(God) not of reading Kalme (Muslims holy words) physically after the mouth, but mentally you were looking after and purchasing and selling horses in the foriegn countries. So reading namaz when you were mentally absent is not accepted by God and neither the words of namaz reach upto God"

So if the Great Guru preaches to the followers of the other religion that they should hear the which they say in the presence of Allah (God) and they can hear, only, if they are mentally present. Naturally the Great Guru must be expecting higher from his followers to hear what they say.

S. Wadhawa Singh Ji began to practise both of the words of the Great Guru in his practical life and thus he started getting spiritual heights

Hmmm, this post says different:

"Only when Naam is worshipped and repeated the Light of Naam shines, automatically vanishing the evils and sins. The Naam is just like fire, which burns the evil. It is one of the basic qualities of the Naam or Gurbani that it destroys sins, even if it is not repeated with attention."

http://www.sikhawareness.com/sikhawareness...opic.php?t=2737

Also, your mind has to listen to what your saying. Because if you are doing path no matter how much you do, If your mind is somewhere else then what is the use... So if you read carefully then Guru Gobind Singh Ji when he gave his glimpses said that we dont hear his path, since he doesnt hear it himself, S. Wadhawa Singh's mind was somewhere else.

Chapter 63

Blessing of Holy glimpses of Christ, Mohammed Sahib and Bhrigu Rishi Ji

One day when Baba Ji was in deep concentration of highly elevated consciousness, the Great Christ, Mohammed Sahib(founder of muslim religion) and Bhrigu Rishi Ji (A well known hindu saint who is known for his Bhrigu Granth for future prophecies) gave their glimpses. They had spiritually radiant faces having auras around their heads. After blessing with their glimpses first of all Hazrat Mohammed Sahib uttered, "You are blessed and lucky person to whom the Great Guru Nanak Dev Ji has shown the direct easy and the best method to attain God in kalyug. But the followers of Great Guru Nanak Dev Ji are not deriving the full benefit out of it."

After sometime Bhrigu Ji said, "In our times, we had to under go very hard and rigorous methods. The whole age of man was spent in meditation and celebration but the attainment of God was too hard to achieve. But the true Nectar of Nam which the Great Guru Nanak Dev Ji has brought for his Sikhs, we could not get it. No doubt we had amassed great miraculous powers of every sort due to rigorous meditation and penance, including giving curse and blessing to some one, but we were deprived of Nectar of Nam."

The Great Christ uttered, short-cut words as, "It is my inner desire that my followers should adopt the path shown by the Great Guru." Saying these words the three souls disappeared.

"Only when Naam is worshipped and repeated the Light of Naam shines, automatically vanishing the evils and sins. The Naam is just like fire, which burns the evil. It is one of the basic qualities of the Naam or Gurbani that it destroys sins, even if it is not repeated with attention."

http://www.sikhawareness.com/sikhawareness...opic.php?t=2737

Chapter 64

Yogi Seal Nath tried to frighten Baba Ji with his abstract body

Toward the southern side of the Gurudwara Rampur Khera, there lived a yogi, follower of Gorakh Nath, in the village Talwandi near the premises of Dhakki. He was known as Seal Nath. He had created enough influence in that area due to his miraculous powers. His followers would reach his hut with superior liquor or country wine and cooked meat, to please him. If somebody invited him to his house, then in order to please him, massacre of animals and sufficient quantity of liquor would become the fashion of the day.

From that day, Baba Ji came in this area, due to his Gurmat preaching, so many people left this bad habit and joined the path of Baba ji. They stopped yielding to the yogi, So his reputation began to decline and this cause of decline had been known to Yogi Seal Nath. Some times he was in agony mood but he was helpless. At last in order to increase his power, he stopped all his programmes and started doing his yoga activities. He got so much expert in these activities that he could derive out his abstract body from his physical body.

On one summer evening Baba ji was busy in simran, after the path of Sodar while sitting on the cot outside his hut.

Baba ji told, "We heard the sound of Aulakh-Aulakh (A slogan which a yogi generally utters, I saw in the direction of the sound. The same yogi was advancing towards me while catching a fire tong in his hands. I also felt that he had come to frighten me with his abstract body. I kept on doing simran fearless and watching his actions. When he came near, he raised up his arms carrying fire-tong to bear me and shouted loudly that he would throw me out as I was spoiling his followers and they were leaving the doctrine of yoga.."

He shouted in a very angry tone, "You dont know how powerful I am. I will snatch all the sickles (bad-name which the yogi used for Sri Sahib, sword) from your necks and then rest." "So when that yogi called bad names to the names of a Sikh, I felt mentally injured. While sitting on the cot, only in the spiritual form (not physically) I slapped him forcefully. With this, his fire-tongs, with which he wanted to beat me, fell down and he began to toss on the ground. He under-went two, three summer souls, and came to his sense and went out grumbling."

He uttered, " I never knew you were so powerful. In misunderstanding, I came to collide with you. Now Iam forceless, I shall leave my place and would go to some other place."

Saying such words he went out and he never attacked again. After some days, Baba Ji sent sent one of the devotee to enquire about the yogi whether he was there or went somewhere else. The farmers who were ploughing their fields in the nieghbourhood told that Yogi Seal Nath had gone to some unknown place without informing anybody and his devotees were searching for him taking bottles of liquor with them (after a few months it came to be known that Yogi Seal Nath had set up his new Dera at village Nangal Ishar (P.S. Hariana, Hoshiarpur).

When that devotee came and told Baba Ji, the humble servant (Sewa Singh Sant) was there. Baba Ji uttered only these words "He had to go". In the later stage , when Baba Ji was free in vacant mood, he told the above mentioned incident and said "No force or miraculous of any sort can effect a Gursikh but a Gursikh should be true Gursikh in a real sense. Then the Great Guru shelters him. As ordered in Gound 5th Guru, page-868

He, whom the protector protects,

His side the formless Lord take. Pause.

And Swayas 4th Guru, page-1399

He, on whose side os the Guru,

How wealth can make him proud?

He, on whose side is the Guru,

What harm can lacs of arms do unto him?

The persons who surrender completely to the Almighty, the Almighty gives them complete shelter and security.

Kalyan Bhopali 4th Guru, page-1321

They who seek the refuge of the feet

Of the Lord of the world,

Those persons ferry across the dreadful world ocean.

O slave Nanak the Lord, of Himself,

Showers His benedictions on them.

• 3 months later...