Words

One Day a good woman said something that hurt her best friend of many years. She regretted immediately and would have done anything to take back those thoughtless words. Close as she and her friend were, she hadn't considered the effects of her hasty action. What the woman said hurt her friend so much that she herself felt the pain she had caused. In an effort to undo what she had done, she went to a village elder for advice. The older woman listened patiently to determine just how sincere she was, then asked "What are you willing to do to repair the damage done?" The answer was heartfelt: "Anything!" There are two things you need to do to make amends. The first is extremely difficult. Tonight, open a small hold in each of your best feather pillows. Then take out the feathers, Before the sun rises, you must place one feather on the doorstep of each house in the town. When you are through, I'll thee you the second task." The good woman hurried home to prepare for the chore, even though the pillows were very expensive and dear to her. All night long, she worked alone in the cold, going from door to door and placing a feather on each doorstep, taking care not to miss a single house. Her finger were frozen, and the wind was sharp it caused her eyes to water. But she trudged through the streets, thankful there was something she could so to set things right again. Finally, as the sky was getting bright, she placed the last feather on the doorstep of the last door. Just the sun rose, she returned to the village. She was exhausted., but relieved that her efforts would soon be rewarded. My pillows are empty, I placed a feather on the doorstep of each house." "Now", said the wise women, "go back and refill your pillows, Then everything will be as it was before." The young woman was stunned, That's impossible ! The wind blew away the feather as soon fast as I placed them on the doorstep! You didn't say I had to get them back. If this is the second task, then things can never be the same again."That's true," said the wise old woman. Never forget, Each of your words is like a feather in the wind. Once spoken, no amount of effort, regardless of how heartfelt or sincere, can never get them back into your mouth again. So choose your words well and guard them, especially in the presence of those you love."