Medical Students or anyone going into the Medical field

Tejvir Kaur

I've got a couple years ahead of me, but for your undergrad year if a school doesn't offer what majors would you take??? Besides Chemistry and Biology, because I can take those in high school.

Also, when you get into medical school do you actually do the residency and then if you want to specialize in something you do extra years or is it different everywhere???

It doesn't matter where you live I know almost every system is different, but I might got our of country to study, so I was just wondering how everything works. Thanks in advance!

I'm an undergrad myself and am studying Business, but my brother just graduated from medical school here in the US. So I will try to answer as best I can.

I've got a couple years ahead of me, but for your undergrad year if a school doesn't offer what majors would you take??? Besides Chemistry and Biology, because I can take those in high school.

First I don't know what you mean by if your "school doesn't offer?" Also how will you complete Chemistry and Biology in high school? College level courses are more advanced, and as per my knowledge you have to take many courses in Chemistry to gain a degree in it. So to just give you a general idea Chemistry and Biology are the most helpful, if you want something else then do any science really.

Also, when you get into medical school do you actually do the residency and then if you want to specialize in something you do extra years or is it different everywhere???

Residency is after medical school, and specializations/fellowships happen after that if you so choose...ex. my bro just graduated, he as a 5 year residency (1 year internal medicine required of all medical students, then 4 years in radiology)..

So its a long path, good luck...Hope I have been of some help. :D

First I don't know what you mean by if your "school doesn't offer?" Also how will you complete Chemistry and Biology in high school? College level courses are more advanced, and as per my knowledge you have to take many courses in Chemistry to gain a degree in it. So to just give you a general idea Chemistry and Biology are the most helpful, if you want something else then do any science really.

Well thanks for everything but lemme clarify some of that stuff.

I meant if a school doesn't offer Pre-Med and we can take Biology and Chemistry in high school as the college level classes and there are many more offered.

Oh, well I'm not sure how it works where you are..but in the US the most advanced high school courses you can take only equate to introductory college courses (provided you pass the AP standardized exam).

And yeah, if a school doesn't offer a "pre-med" program then I would reccomend majoring in Bio, Chemistry or any other science (the first two are still very helpful).

Again my info is based on how it is in the US, so it might be different for you, but I hope this gives you a lil bit of help.