An alternative look at the 'Caste System'

This article puts another perspective on a phenomenon that no-one usually dares to mention without putting on a grimace of horror and uttering shrieks of indignation: Chaturvarna, usually mistranslated as the caste system.

Let me state from the outset that I am a firm believer in the Vedic verse "All men are brothers; no one is big, no one is small. All are equal" (Rig Veda 5.60.5). The four categories of society (varnas) were not originally intended to be hereditary categories. If we look at the matter carefully, they are in fact natural functional groups that exist in all societies. The varnas were originally fluid categories that allowed for mobility between groups.

So before anyone begins fuming about Brahmin tyranny and the "wretched condition of the downtrodden", let me clarify that what I mean is not hereditary caste, but the distinction between four functional groups in society: Brahmin (intellectual and spiritual), Kshatriya (military and administrative), Vaishya (commercial) and Shudra (workers), devoid of any hereditary aspect, which was a much later phenomenon.

Continued @ http://www.hinduvoice.co.uk/Issues/5/varna.htm

(Note: I've only posted part of this articles and then linked to the original site, to avoid violating copyright policies)

Gurfateh

As per Purush Sutra all four professions came out of single Purusha so all are one Jati.One Father Akal Purakh.But as it is givne in Panchjanya,there is need to let non Indian(say Western) converts to Hinduism come tnot Temples like Jaggannath Puri and smoe temple still do not allow Dalits/Vanchits in Temples.Let it be practicle also and not just on web space.Akal Bless.

• 6 months later...

This article puts another perspective on a phenomenon that no-one usually dares to mention without putting on a grimace of horror and uttering shrieks of indignation: Chaturvarna, usually mistranslated as the caste system.

Let me state from the outset that I am a firm believer in the Vedic verse "All men are brothers; no one is big, no one is small. All are equal" (Rig Veda 5.60.5). The four categories of society (varnas) were not originally intended to be hereditary categories. If we look at the matter carefully, they are in fact natural functional groups that exist in all societies. The varnas were originally fluid categories that allowed for mobility between groups.

So before anyone begins fuming about Brahmin tyranny and the "wretched condition of the downtrodden", let me clarify that what I mean is not hereditary caste, but the distinction between four functional groups in society: Brahmin (intellectual and spiritual), Kshatriya (military and administrative), Vaishya (commercial) and Shudra (workers), devoid of any hereditary aspect, which was a much later phenomenon.

Continued @ http://www.hinduvoice.co.uk/Issues/5/varna.htm

(Note: I've only posted part of this articles and then linked to the original site, to avoid violating copyright policies)

Gita says that the caste is due to qualities and profession (Guna Karma Vibhagasah). Qualities were always respected. Rama and Krishna were non-Brahmins. The Brahmin priests wash the statues of Rama and Krishna and swallow it as sacred water. In Bhagavatam it is written that Bhuri Sravasa, who is a pot maker was made Brahma in the sacrifice. Ravana was a Brahmin but was condemned. Every human being is ‘Sudra’ by birth and can become Brahmin by practicing the true meaning of Vedas (Janmana Jaayate). Brahmana means he who knows Brahman. Brahman also means Veda in Sanskrit. Every caste contains good people as well as bad people. Sabari and Kannappa belong to the family of untouchables. No body is untouchable by birth. In Veda only four castes were mentioned. How this fifth caste came into existence? All the bad people in the four castes were expelled from the village just like a bad student is expelled from the school. Thus untouchability is due to the qualities and deeds but not by birth. Brahmins are worshipping the photos of Sabari and Kannappa in their prayer rooms.