What Is Nij Ghar In Gurbani?

Let us use this thread to deeply contemplate on references of nij ghar made in Gurbani. So what is nij ghar in Gurbani? How does this term relate/resonate with you on deep spiritual level? Can nij ghar in gurbani be grasped at different levels/development stage of aspirant/spiritual seeker?

Please provide references from gurbani on nij ghar and your thoughts or commentary about it.

Nij ghar, is that space within where one finds the palace of parmatma....here is my flawed translation of this:

ਰਾਗੁ ਗਉੜੀ ਪੂਰਬੀ ਮਹਲਾ

रागु गउड़ी पूरबी महला

Rāg ga▫oṛī pūrbī mėhlā 5.

Raag Gauree Poorbee, Fifth Mehl:

ਕਰਉ ਬੇਨੰਤੀ ਸੁਣਹੁ ਮੇਰੇ ਮੀਤਾ ਸੰਤ ਟਹਲ ਕੀ ਬੇਲਾ

करउ बेनंती सुणहु मेरे मीता संत टहल की बेला

Kara▫o benanṯī suṇhu mere mīṯā sanṯ tahal kī belā.

Listen, my friends, I beg of you: now is the time to serve the Saints!

Drawrof: do a heartfelt request my dear friends, now is the time to engaging in/serving the peaceful mind (I read this as engaging guru-conciousness)

ਈਹਾ ਖਾਟਿ ਚਲਹੁ ਹਰਿ ਲਾਹਾ ਆਗੈ ਬਸਨੁ ਸੁਹੇਲਾ

ईहा खाटि चलहु हरि लाहा आगै बसनु सुहेला ॥१॥

Īhā kẖāt cẖalhu har lāhā āgai basan suhelā. ||1||

In this world, earn the profit of the Lord's Name, and hereafter, you shall dwell in peace. ||1||

Drawrof: Whatever you invest in now will go with you going forth and you will be in peace

ਅਉਧ ਘਟੈ ਦਿਨਸੁ ਰੈਣਾਰੇ

अउध घटै दिनसु रैणारे

A▫oḏẖ gẖatai ḏinas raiṇāre.

This life is diminishing, day and night.

Drawrof: Same

ਮਨ ਗੁਰ ਮਿਲਿ ਕਾਜ ਸਵਾਰੇ ੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ

मन गुर मिलि काज सवारे ॥१॥ रहाउ

Man gur mil kāj savāre. ||1|| rahā▫o.

Meeting with the Guru, your affairs shall be resolved. ||1||Pause||

Drawrof: your life will be set in pace and flow when your mind gets absorbed in guru (consciousness)

ਇਹੁ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ਬਿਕਾਰੁ ਸੰਸੇ ਮਹਿ ਤਰਿਓ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗਿਆਨੀ

इहु संसारु बिकारु संसे महि तरिओ ब्रहम गिआनी

Ih sansār bikār sanse mėh ṯari▫o barahm gi▫ānī.

This world is engrossed in corruption and cynicism. Only those who know God are saved.

Drawrof: This world you are currently absorbed in is full of fruitlessactions and doubts, only the one who ‘knows’ through experience floats above it without getting absorbed (again liberties taken in this translation)

ਜਿਸਹਿ ਜਗਾਇ ਪੀਆਵੈ ਇਹੁ ਰਸੁ ਅਕਥ ਕਥਾ ਤਿਨਿ ਜਾਨੀ

जिसहि जगाइ पीआवै इहु रसु अकथ कथा तिनि जानी ॥२॥

Jisahi jagā▫e pī▫āvai ih ras akath kathā ṯin jānī. ||2||

Only those who are awakened by the Lord to drink in this Sublime Essence, come to know the Unspoken Speech of the Lord. ||2||

Drawrof: whoever the guru (consciousness) absorbs through awakening (ie. Getting one’s mind out of ignorance) will ‘drink’ this ras….meaning they are floating and absorbing the ‘sublime essence’; they come to understand the ‘akath-katha’ (I don’t feel I can give an honest opinion to this at this point in my life)

ਜਾ ਕਉ ਆਏ ਸੋਈ ਬਿਹਾਝਹੁ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਰ ਤੇ ਮਨਹਿ ਬਸੇਰਾ

जा कउ आए सोई बिहाझहु हरि गुर ते मनहि बसेरा

Jā ka▫o ā▫e so▫ī bihājẖahu har gur ṯe manėh baserā.

Purchase only that for which you have come into the world, and through the

Guru, the Lord shall dwell within your mind.

Drawrof: What you’ve come here for (that which is mentioned above) is what you should be dealing in/working on/engaging with…and this will reside in your mind just like consciousness resides in har…or oangkar resides in eckankar.

ਨਿਜ ਘਰਿ ਮਹਲੁ ਪਾਵਹੁ ਸੁਖ ਸਹਜੇ ਬਹੁਰਿ ਹੋਇਗੋ ਫੇਰਾ

निज घरि महलु पावहु सुख सहजे बहुरि होइगो फेरा ॥३॥

Nij gẖar mahal pāvhu sukẖ sėhje bahur na ho▫igo ferā. ||3||

Within the home of your own inner being, you shall obtain the Mansion of the Lord's Presence with intuitive ease. You shall not be consigned again to the wheel of reincarnation. ||3||

Drawrof: In your house within, you will realize the palace within and you will feel happiness intuitively with ease and never have to come back to pain again.

ਅੰਤਰਜਾਮੀ ਪੁਰਖ ਬਿਧਾਤੇ ਸਰਧਾ ਮਨ ਕੀ ਪੂਰੇ

अंतरजामी पुरख बिधाते सरधा मन की पूरे

Anṯarjāmī purakẖ biḏẖāṯe sarḏẖā man kī pūre.

O Inner-knower, Searcher of Hearts, O Primal Being, Architect of Destiny: please fulfill this yearning of my mind.

Drawrof: The inner knower, that which is within everything-everywhere, the one who ultimately decides my destiny, please complete what my mind is willing to accept (in all humility. Sardha is accepting the truth/bachan of the guru)

ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾਸੁ ਇਹੈ ਸੁਖੁ ਮਾਗੈ ਮੋ ਕਉ ਕਰਿ ਸੰਤਨ ਕੀ ਧੂਰੇ ੪॥੫

नानक दासु इहै सुखु मागै मो कउ करि संतन की धूरे ॥४॥५॥

Nānak ḏās ihai sukẖ māgai mo ka▫o kar sanṯan kī ḏẖūre. ||4||5||

Nanak, Your slave, begs for this happiness: let me be the dust of the feet of the Saints. ||4||5||

Drawrof: Nanak, the one who is one, says the servant of that one is asking for that one ‘peace’ that one that makes ‘me’ the dust/residue of that peace which those who have already traversed this path have received.

• 1 month later...

Nijh Ghar, literally means: our own True home.

And as we all know, Khands, Brahmands, heavens, swargs or baikunths should not be our aim...

But our aim or goal should be only our True Father's home, which is none  other than Sach Khand, there where Wahiguru Akal Purukh Nirankar, has His permanent residence.

Sat Sree Akal.