Guru Granth Sahib's quotes on "races and castes"

"What good is social class and status? Truthfulness is measured within. Pride in one's status is like poison-holding it in your hand and eating it, you shall die (pg 142)."

"Recognize the Lord's Light within all, and do not consider social class or status; there are no classes or castes in the world hereafter (pg 349)."

"Recognize ye all the Human Race as one."-Guru Gobind Singh

"Do not be proud of your social class and status, you ignorant fool! So much sin and corruption comes from this pride. Everyone says that there are four castes, four social classes. They all emanate from the drop of God's Seed. The entire universe is made of the same clay. The Potter has shaped it into all sorts of vessels. The five elements join together, to make up the form of the human body. Who can say which is less, and which is more? (pg 1128)"

"In the world hereafter, social status and power mean nothing; hereafter, the soul is new. Those few, whose honor is confirmed, are good.(pg 469)."

"Those who believe in high and low social classes, only sing songs and chants of egotism."-pg 1162

"God does not ask about social class or birth; you must find your true home. That is your social class and that is your status - the karma of what you have done."-pg 1330

"O Nanak, one who becomes Gurmukh chants the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, and rises above all social classes and status symbols. (pg 260)"

"Chanting the Name of the Lord is the highest religion. Chanting the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, erases social classes and ancestral pedigrees.(874)."

"This is the way to meet your Husband Lord. Blessed is the soul-bride who is loved by her Husband Lord. Social class and status, race, ancestry and skepticism are eliminated, following the Guru's Teachings and contemplating the Word of the Shabad."-pg 1198

"Those who know God and recognize His Shabad lose their ego and class consciousness. (pg 67)"

"That slave, whom God has released from the restrictions of social status - who can now hold him in bondage?"-pg 376

"O Nanak, those who are denied Your Grace, find no shelter at Your Door; they continue wandering. Some do not understand their origins, and without cause, they display their self-conceit. I am the Lord's minstrel, of low social status; others call themselves high caste. I seek those who meditate on You."-pg 468

"To the Gurmukh, the Lord Himself is social class, status and all honor."-pg 117

"The Praises of the Lord are my good conduct, occupation and social class. Listening to the Kirtan of the Lord's Praises, I am in absolute ecstasy."-pg 715

"Kabeer's Lord and Master is joyous and blissful; He does not care about anyone's social class."-pg 1105

"People say that Kabeer has gone insane. Only the Lord realizes the secret of Kabeer. Turning away from the world, I have forgotten both my social class and ancestry. My weaving now is in the most profound celestial stillness."-pg 1158

"Says Ravi Daas, one who chants the Naam, the Name of the Lord, is not concerned with social class, birth and rebirth."-pg 1196

"I am a sacrifice to this Love, by which social class and status, color and ancestry are taken away."-pg 1367

"All the religious robes and social classes look just like dust. Whoever is born, continues to come and go. O Nanak, only the Naam and the Lord's Command are eternal and everlasting."-pg 352

"The Lord is like sugar, spilled onto the sand; the elephant cannot pick it up. Says Kabeer, give up your ancestry, social status and honor; be like the tiny ant - pick up and eat the sugar."-pg 972

"The Lord?s slave sets aside his own social status. He dedicates his mind and body to the True Guru, and seeks His Sanctuary. His greatest greatness is that the Naam, the Name of the Lord, is in his heart. The Beloved Lord God is his constant companion."-pg 363

"Your name and social status shall not go with you hereafter; the self-willed manmukh is consumed by pain."-pg 514

"God, the Lord and Master, is the caste and social status of His humble Saints."-pg 667

"As long as the light remains in the body, the beast does not understand himself. He acts in greed to maintain his life and status, and sees nothing with his eyes. Says Kabeer, listen, O mortal: Renounce the doubts of your mind. Chant only the One Naam, the Name of the Lord, O mortal, and seek the Sanctuary of the One Lord."-pg 692

"When the One Liberator does me a favor, then what can the world do to me? Erasing my social status, I have entered His Court. You, Mukanday, are potent throughout the four ages."-pg 875

"High and low, social class and status ? the world wanders lost in superstition. The Ambrosial Word of Gurbani proclaims the essence of reality."-pg 1243

"How rare are those humble beings in this world, whom the Lord tests and places in His Treasury. They rise above social status and color, and rid themselves of possessiveness and greed."-pg 1345

"Your Mercy is my social status."-pg 16

"Pride in social status is empty; pride in personal glory is useless. The One Lord gives shade to all beings. You may call yourself good; O Nanak, this will only be known when your honor is approved in God's Account."-pg 83

"It (Maya) torments us through character, lifestyle and social status. It torments us through everything, except for those who are imbued with the Love of the Lord."-pg 182

"Social status and beauty will not go with you hereafter. As are the deeds done here, so does one become. Through the Word of the Shabad, one becomes the highest of the high. O Nanak, he is absorbed in the True Lord."-pg 363

"Hereafter, no one is questioned about social status; excellent and sublime is the practice of the Word of the Shabad. Other study is false, and other actions are false; such people are in love with poison. They do not find any peace within themselves; the self-willed manmukhs waste away their lives. O Nanak, those who are attuned to the Naam are saved; they have infinite love for the Guru."-pg 1094

"Power, wealth and youth are all just shadows, as are the vehicles you see moving around. Neither your body, nor your fame, nor your social status shall go along with you. In the next world it is day, while here, it is all night."-pg 1257

"One's body and social status do not go along to that place, where all are called to account. Those who are attuned to Truth are saved; those in the love of duality are miserable."-pg 1346

"Kabeer, everyone laughs at my social class. I am a sacrifice to this social class, in which I chant and meditate on the Creator. "-pg 1364