Why are Sikhs less in numbers?

First of all, for us as Sikhs, its quality that matters and not quantity. What started with one Divine Jot in human form has today illuminated more than 20 million hearts in a span of just five centuries. So lets not worry about numbers, as the inner light that pervades us all is One, and will never ever die out.

Lets talk about diamonds. Anyone who knows about diamonds is well aware of the fact that a pure unpolished diamond in its natural state is not very different from any other ordinary looking stone. Only the few who know how to distinguish a diamond from another stone will be able to see it even in its natural unpolished state.

Another thing about diamonds is that they are so precious gems, that people often hold more value to them if they are discovered rather than sold. A diamond bought is beautiful but nothing compared to the one that is discovered. People who sell diamonds don’t know the beauty attached behind them. What matters to them is how expensive it is.

Now coming to my point. The diamond I am talking about is Sikhi. Only the ones who have the yearning to meet GOD, that flame of burning love within their souls will be able to recofnize Sikhi as the true and ultimate religion. That is the reason why even some people born in Sikh families never seem to understand Sikhi, while some who are born in non-Sikh families just fall in love with it.

Those who know Sikhi is a diamond, don’t go around selling it at a cost. There are others who go around preaching their beliefs, making everyone aware of how their way of worship is the only right way, and some even offer to pay money to those who convert! This is the reason we don’t have anything called “Sikh missionariesâ€, because this diamond is to be discovered, not to be sold.

PS : some misinterpret this way of thinking to mean that we shouldn't tell others about our religion and "wait" for aspirants. Thats NOT what i mean. All i mean is that we shouldn't go around bashing other religions coz thats unSikh.

man this is spooky - the other day i was lyin in bed thinkin about this same thing that sikhs are like an unpolished diamond.... :shock:

great minds think alike :wink: w00t w00t

Guest BikramjitSingh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji KI Fateh

I tend to agree with Maggarmach Singh. It's not solely about quality. In the modern world you need quantity as well. Do you suppose that 1984 would have occurred had there been 150 Million Sikhs in India rather than 15 Million ?.

Quality does not imply that only a certain percentage of a people can be 100 % dedicated and the remaining are just there for the ride. It is possible to have 100 % dedicated people but only if the initial 10 % or so who are dedicated at the beginning make an effort to help the remaining 90 %. Unfortuntately I have come across 100 % dedicated Sikhs who think that all they are on this earth for is to achieve their own Mukti. The concept that their advanced spirituality also places an onus on them to help other Sikhs less advanced then them is totally foreign to them.

The problem is that whereas other faiths are actively making converts and increasing their numbers, the Sikhs are just content to repeat the age old ' quality not quantity' soundbite. I have a lively discussion some years with a Sikh who seemed to be proud that there is, in his words ' no such thing as a Sikh missionary'. I pointed out to him that in India there are hundreds if not thousands of Sikh missionaries, and not part time ones at that. The SGPC has various missions which are active in converting non-Sikhs to Sikhism in states such as UP, Haryana and Punjab. Other dedicated individuals have set up organisations to integrate the Sikh tribes such as Vanjaras, Sikligars, Mehtars and Panchhadas into mainstream Sikhism.

Sikhism is probably the most attractive religion there is today. It's philosophy and ethics are second to none. But where Sikhism is let down is by Sikhs. We seem to want to keep the diamond of Sikhi as if it were a heirloom and we are frightened by letting someone else inspect it and value it. It is not for want of converts that Sikhi is still a small religion in numerical terms. It is that when the opportunity to double the family of the Khalsa is presented, we invariably think it's someone elses job.

A example of how Sikhi is expanding DESPITE the actions of Sikhs is that in a recent 2001 UK census on religion and ethnic origin publication, about 6800 White people had declared their religion as Sikh. This inspite of the fact that Sikhs in the UK have no missionary program to convert any non-Sikhs to Sikhism as well as there being no organistation like Sikh Dharma in the UK.

Here is a small example of how Sikhs use their limited resources. In 1996 a delegation of Vanjaras, a tribe from Maharashtra who have a historic link with Sikhism approched the Sikh Gurdwaras of Chandigarh for help in setting up Gurdwaras in their areas and for monetary help to alleviate their dire poverty. A Sikh organisation called ' Institute of Sikh Studies' put out an appeal for Sikhs worldwide to help in setting up a Vanjara fund to help this tribe. At that time no Gurdwara in the UK came forward to help, in fact a Gurdwara in Scotland at that time chose to donate about 15,000 pounds to the Bangladesh hurricane victims.

There are another oft quoted 'soundbite' that Sikhs have become accustomed to quoting. That there is no such thing as a Sikh beggar. This may be true in the sense that Sikhs dho not beg for a living, but this quote is used to justify that fact that hardly any Sikh ever gives a donation to those Sikhs in need. We assume that ALL Sikhs in India are living in Kothiyan with coolers and Sumos parked in the Vehra.

GurFateh

Bikramjit Singh