Sleep Helps 'detox' Your Brain

I've had a few attempts at polyphasic sleep.

This is sleeping for short periods more often rather than one long sleep bout. Short bursts of about 30-45 minutes throughout the day about 6-7 times.

I often practiced this during exam periods at college and Uni, when you are trying to cram in as much as possible before exams, and it worked quite well !

I found that my concentration and alertness spans were much longer and that the short 45 minutes of sleep would be extremely deep within seconds.

It's interesting that many of the geniuses like Einstein, Newton,..Franklin...all claimed to be fans of this style of sleep which is also sometimes termed as the 'da vinci sleep schedule' or 'sleep of genius' !

I don't know about any of you, but I also find that the hour or two I have after simran in amritvela is always the best, most refreshing and vivid sleep that often reminds me of the polyphasic sleep energy.

I often practiced this during exam periods at college and Uni, when you are trying to cram in as much as possible before exams, and it worked quite well !

I remember those days days in university! There was one year where I had this routine down, of taking power naps often, and it was my best year grades wise. I would nap for 45 minutes after 2 hours of studying and each nap would energize me for another 2 hours.

I don't know about any of you, but I also find that the hour or two I have after simran in amritvela is always the best, most refreshing and vivid sleep that often reminds me of the polyphasic sleep energy.

Lucky you ever try putting your body to sleep while having your mind awake?

This is what I have been trying to do recently. Before sleeping I bring awareness into my body and "manually" relax every cell I can, and to expand my awareness beyond the body, to the point where I body is weightless and floating. But my body doesn't fall asleep and I start to get sleepy and when I do fall asleep, its super duper dark, deeeeep, unconscious sleep.

Lucky you ever try putting your body to sleep while having your mind awake?

This is what I have been trying to do recently. Before sleeping I bring awareness into my body and "manually" relax every cell I can, and to expand my awareness beyond the body, to the point where I body is weightless and floating. But my body doesn't fall asleep and I start to get sleepy and when I do fall asleep, its super duper dark, deeeeep, unconscious sleep.

Sounds good !

We do something similar in the last 20-25 minutes of yoga where we all lie flat on our backs and move/feel all major muscles in body and limbs. Once we have consciously felt them, we let them all relax one by one to the point where you let go of all your weight and it feels as if your weightless.

But like most exercises in kundalini yoga, we keep the focus on third eye. ...and it can feel very invigorating once you have got up and left the class.

The instructor has recommended that we do this before sleeping and it is a mental way to just ''letting go...!''

I have never got or remembered to do it because i'm getting into the habit of just saying waheguru gurmantar silently and listening.

I am going to have to work out a way for doing it because sometimes I do feel that i'm too focused and not relaxed enough.

• 5 weeks later...