Need Help In Improving Health/fitness, Gaining Strength And Mass.

oasis

Dear all, waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!!!

I would greatly appreciate if someone could help me draw out a plan to achieve some health related goals.

I am 28 years old. I am skinny. I am 5'11 and weigh 145 lbs. I have always wanted to be strong and have some mass. But never really put in a serious committed effort to achieve it. At this point, I feel I need to do something about my health/strength, because I have really lost my self-confidence & self-esteem. I feel shy to go outside just because I feel so skinny inside myself and weak.

I am vegetarian. So I would like to know about vegetarian options to add to my diet.

And as for working out, I cannot go to gym just yet till I feel comfortable in my skin. I have a pullup bar, treadmill in my home. And I am ready to invest into a bench & dumbell weights. So please take this into account when devising a plan for me.

Here is my diet, which feels ridiculous as I am writing it down:

Morning breakfast: 2 paronthis, achar and chai.

Lunch:2 rotis with rice/ sabji/dahi

Evening: Chai with biscuits & bhujiya

Dinner: Maggi or rice/roti

Snacks in between: Chocolate milk or icecream or some other snack.

Thanks for your help!!

Singh I don't see any Dudh, Makhan and Badam in your diet!!!

Biscuit, bhujiya, icecream, chocolate milk is all crap. Avoid them. (If you are going to eat Maggi throw in some vegetables like capsicum and some paneer otherwise avoid it as well. As a vegetarion Paneer is going to be a big source of protein.)

Change these to above mentioned foods: Dudh, Makhan and Badam. And eat other dryfruits as well, as your snack.

Other dryfruits: dried peaches, raisins, cashews, walnuts, pecans, pista (all without added sugar and salt)

Other snacks include: Fool Makhane (lotus seed popcorn), roasted dals and roasted chhole

And fruits: banana, apple, orange, etc whatever you can get your hands on

What kind of exercise or physical activity do you get per day?

What kind of meditation do you practice per day?

Edited by BhagatSingh

Thanks for the tips Bhagat. I will def. include almonds esp soaked ones, nuts, fruits in my diet. Paneer is great idea too.

As for dudh, I put nesquik chocolate into it ? Is that bad.

Makhan: I just use the butter stick on my roti, not the freshly made at home. I get GERD if I eat too much oil/ghee or butter, so I keep it minimal. And good to know about these other dryfruits you mentioned.

Currently, I am home, trying to study for an exam, no job currently, so not a lot of physical activity these days.

Meditation wise, goal is to keep up with the 7 banis nitnem with Gurus grace, and also attend 1 hr waheguru jap session at local gurudwara.

All this time , I have been silently saying Banis, but now trying to recite them loud, so that I can see some effect.

Mostly need to build a strong mind & body , so that I can keep myself sane. lol

Ok so you are going to work out after exams and have a meditation routine already in place. That's great to hear!

As for dudh, I put nesquik chocolate into it ? Is that bad.

Nesquik doesn't sound healthy to me.

I get GERD if I eat too much oil/ghee or butter

Acid reflux indicates you are having digestive issues. Do you only have reflux when you eat butter?

I have really lost my self-confidence & self-esteem. I feel shy to go outside just because I feel so skinny inside myself and weak.

As for confidence and self-esteem it's all about belief. A lot of beautiful people have such issues, just because they don't believe they are beautiful. They constantly look at their flaws.

Look at your beautiful self and just tell yourself how awesome you are in the mirror. Do it everyday until you are convinced!

Not like this... I am strong :unsure: i am powerful :( I am beautiful :wacko:

Say it like you mean it!! I am big, strong powerful!! :angry: I am awesome! B) i am beautiful and attractive :wub: I am whole and I am the vehicle of God -_-

Look yourself in the eyes and say it out loud and listen attentively.

Smile, raise your chest, pull your shoulders back, breathe deeply into your belly! Fill your belly up with lots of air. Fixing your posture will have a reverse effect on how you feel about yourself.

Dear Oasisji,

following are the basic exercise for a beginner which as you mention you are not ready yet to start with a gym yet. This exercise may be suitable for you as it is basic free hand exercise prior to joining a gym/weights workout. it cover each section of the major muscles, namely chest/pecs, back/lats, triceps, biceps, forearms, deltoids, thighs, calves and 6 packs/abs (abdominal). You may do for 3 months as free weights exercise and may add weights as you feel comfortable.( as "your self-image improve so shall yourself confidence"). You need a tape measurement, weight machine, a fix time to do exercise daily, your pullup(chinning) bar and a mirror.

the exercise: for beginner, do each exercise for 3 sets with 15 repetition for each one set. (3x15)

start with a warmup/stretching exercise. 10 mins.

Back: do the pullup/chinning up exercise. Hold the bar with palm over the bar, the wider the shoulder wide. this is to develop your lats/wings and back muscles. Do as many repetition (reps) as you can and bring your head above the bar. Repeat or work toward 5 times (sets). Between each sets take rest 45 seconds to 1 minute. do not take long rest, your body may cool down.

pecs/chest: do push up. flat with your palms slightly place wider than shoulder wide. feel comfortable. do the push up. work your way to 3 sets of 15 reps each. increase the set once you reach the goal. Only the chest touch the floor.

Triceps: do the dips. place 2 chairs with their back to each other. stand in between with your shoulder wide. push yourself up and this starting point. come down straight as possible with your legs bend at knee. your goal is to make the elbow parallel with the floor. this is to make your triceps mass. again do as many per reps per set with goal is 15x3. ( alternatively you could do by holding a bench with your palms and arms straight ( not total straight, bend a bit ) with your back and place your legs on another bench ( horizontal) lower your self and until your elbow parallel to floor.)

deltoids/shoulder: same as exercise but slightly bend forward , you will exercise the delts, pecs and triceps.

biceps: back to chinning bar: this time hold the bar with palm under the bar( underhand), hold it shoulder-wide, raise yourself up, do as many reps as you can for 3 sets with goal target of 3x15. this is to build your bicep overall mass.

forearm: just move your palm above bar with narrow grip on the bar( slightly lesser than shoulder-wide)

do as many as you can. (not necessarily 15x3). (caution: this exercise may tear your forearm muscle if overdo or not done properly and create soreness)

thighs: do squat. this exercise build mass for the thighs as it overall build both front and the back of the thighs. place your feet shoulder wide and come down with your thighs parallel to the floor. if you notice that you are leaning to front, then place a book or wood say about an inch under your heel. if the toe place slightly inward, then you are working out your outer thighs, if toe slightly outward then you are working more on the inner thighs. again work toward 15x3.

calves: place your toes on a higher platform so much so that when you stretch your heel below it does not touch the floor. raise the heel by using the calves muscles up. the toes remain in same position. do the up and down motion until you feel soreness in the calves. slightly inward toes workout the outer calves and vice versa. feel the stretch on the calves. the leg must be straights. a you feel comfortable with 15x3 later, you can place someone, a child, on your shoulder while doing this exercise as increasing the weights. (alternative with donkey-stand)

abs: leg raise for lower abs. crunches for upper abs . and twist with a broomstick for obliques/side abs muscle.

the above exercise will normally take about 45 minutes. you must do warm-up. do 3 times a week. on rest day do cardio exercise. do abs daily. if possible have a large mirror to monitor your movements and mirror is a best tool to be your critics. take measurement and record it. review weekly. you will see the results soon.

kindly consult your physician before starting any exercise. Darshan.

diet for vegetarian and beginner: you need at least 145 gram of protein for your bodyweight of 145 pounds.

breakfast: paratha or oats with tea

supplements: multivit and minerals with high doses of vit.c. note: iron is very slow absorbed with tea.

brunch : milk . careful on the fats contents. or soya milk. if necessary add in acid aminos. get your protein content. add some nuts almonds or walnuts.as bhagats suggest.

lunch: 1/3 on carbs (rice, bread, fruits), 1/2 on protien ( sholay,etc) balance : veges.

mid /tea: tea/milk/ soya + banana if doing a workout in later. ( as preworkout drink)

postworkout: protein drink( milk mix), fast absorbtion carb eg banana. vit.e.

dinner: your choice :high carb and protein.

supper: milk shake ( 2 hours before sleeping)

goal : get min of 145g of protein. this is to increase your lean muscles weights.

note: alternative one can consume the protein supplement obtain from health shops. Please be alert on the contain. some are not FDA approval. may have hidden steroids. go on natural foods first. For those practice vege diet yet can consume ie. if you are okay with egg, then egg is excellent source of protein with white give you about 6 gram of protein with very little harming on the arteries. push for 4 whites per day. = 24 g. throw the yolks.thanks. darshan.

Dear all, waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!!!

I would greatly appreciate if someone could help me draw out a plan to achieve some health related goals.

I am 28 years old. I am skinny. I am 5'11 and weigh 145 lbs. I have always wanted to be strong and have some mass. But never really put in a serious committed effort to achieve it. At this point, I feel I need to do something about my health/strength, because I have really lost my self-confidence & self-esteem. I feel shy to go outside just because I feel so skinny inside myself and weak.

I am vegetarian. So I would like to know about vegetarian options to add to my diet.

And as for working out, I cannot go to gym just yet till I feel comfortable in my skin. I have a pullup bar, treadmill in my home. And I am ready to invest into a bench & dumbell weights. So please take this into account when devising a plan for me.

Here is my diet, which feels ridiculous as I am writing it down:

Morning breakfast: 2 paronthis, achar and chai.

Lunch:2 rotis with rice/ sabji/dahi

Dinner: Maggi or rice/roti

Thanks for your help!!

You did not mention any milk related prodycts in your diet. Is there any reason behind this

• 2 weeks later...