Low Carb Mash Potatoes - Celeriac

dalsingh101

A bad-arse (as in good) idea is to make your own granola!

You being in canuck land, can freely get that sugar free maple syrup!

Go easy on the oat flakes, but heavy on the nuts and stuff. Throw in a good portion of pumpkin seeds, badaams, walnuts, dessicated coconut etc.!

Take care to heat the nuts to an absolute minimum to avoid changing their chemical composition for the worse.

Doesn't oat have gluten?

So I just take the nuts and put them in maple syrup and roll them into balls?

You heard of panjiri? maybe pumpkin seeds need to be ground up and added to that.

Had to look gluten up; was ignorant about exactly what it was; Interesting to see that it is a protein; and can cause an auto-immune response!

Found this:

1. Oats are not related to gluten-containing grains such as wheat, barley and rye. They don't contain gluten, but rather proteins called avenins that are non-toxic and tolerated by most celiacs (perhaps less than 1% of celiac patients show a reaction to a large amount of oats in their diets).

Granola is usually 'loose' not balls. I think you essentially let the syrup coat the ingredients and then fully dry. It's like a cereal: you can eat it as it is in small fistfulls, or mix it with milk like cereal. Actually, you could make small balls or bars for convenience! Here's what it might look like -

Pumpkin-Spiced-Nutty-Granola.jpg

I've heard of punjeeri. Coincidentally, I'm actually getting some batches made.

One female, post-pregnancy version for a friend whose just had a daughter. And another male version for me.

I told the maker to put half the regular amount of gurh (unrefined sugar) in my batch!

If I recall rightly the male version has ਅਲਸੀ, which I just checked on a dictionary and now know to be flaxseed.

And the female version has a bunch of extra ingredients, the only one of which I can recall is 'goondh'. Any idea of what that is?

Edited by dalsingh101

PS - Check this out Bhagat, it has more specific information visa-vis gluten in oats - read it if you have issues with gluten intolerance.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/steel-cut-oats-contain-gluten-1687.html