Afghan Sikhs

Gurfateh

Let us have a discussion on the Afghan Sikhs.

Lets start from scratch. If you know the answers to any of these, - quote the questions and provide yours inputs.

What do we know about them? Their history, traditions etc.

What is their ethnicity ? (Punjabi, Pashtun, Hazara etc.)

Are there any famous Afghan scholars or mystics of history?

What books have they written?

What has been their contribution to the wider panth? Or have they remained isolated?

What was their role during the Durrani Period - were they part of his administration?

What was their role during the Misl and Maharaja period?

Are there any Mughal, Persian, British or Punjabi mentionings of them in historical writings?

My input

What is their ethnicity ? (Punjabi, Pashtun, Hazara etc.)

My impression is that they are a mix, probably with a large percentage Punjabi Sikhs whose ancestors settled there 100-200 years ago. It is quite easy to see the difference between the original Pashtun Sikhs and the Punjabis. I've also come across a few Hazara Sikhs with their "Chinese eyes" and limited beard Growth.

Oberoi believes that a large percentage of the indigenous Afghan Sikhs originally converted from Buddhism and Hinduism during Guru Nanakss lifetime. They were the remaining part of those original dwellers of the land that refused to convert to Islam during the many Arab invasions.

Are there any Mughal, Persian, British or Punjabi mentionings of them in historical writings?

I've come across very Little. A British traveler in the 1790s wrote that Hindus of Afghanistan were beginning to convert to Sikhi. Mughal and Persian wise i've come across nothing. There were a few famous Sikhs from Peshawar during the Guru period - I can't recall their names.

This Afghan Singh from London seem to be doing a lot to bring out their history. Here is a reading of one of the Ghazals of Bhai Nand Lal Goya.