Police officers widely misusing body-worn cameras

Premi

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66809642

Police officers widely misusing body-worn cameras

• Published
    18 hours ago

Police officers are switching off their body-worn cameras when force is used, as well as deleting footage and sharing videos on WhatsApp.

A BBC investigation has uncovered more than 150 reports of camera misuse by forces in England and Wales - described as "shocking" by a leading officer.

In one case, siblings faced a two-year legal battle over footage showing officers' use of force against them.

The Home Office says police use of cameras must be lawful and justified.

The roll-out of body-worn cameras, costing at least £90m over the past decade, was intended to benefit both victims and the police - protecting officers against malicious complaints and improving the quality of evidence collected.

But during a two-year investigation, the BBC has obtained reports of misuse from Freedom of Information requests, police sources, misconduct hearings and regulator reports.

The cameras were introduced to improve policing transparency, but we found more than 150 camera misuse reports with cases to answer over misconduct, recommendations for learning or where complaints were upheld.

The police is totally corrupt and compromised. I've had cause to complain regarding their false claims and misrepresentations. But even though the IPCC upheld my complaint as I had recorded them, the police used more tricks to close the complaint. 

Worse, some are just dressed as police to commit crimes. My Sikh friend had fake notices to justify claiming her property. She claims that Muslims in her street are complicit as they won't tolerate more than two non Muslims in the street though she has lived there for more than 40 years. 

Be warned!