Compromise?

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I met a Penji recently who wears her Sri Sahib (about 3 inches) in her Gatra tied around her waist and her Kara there too. When I asked her why, she said it was easier when wearing English clothes, do you think it is ok to compromise so much to wear clothes comfortably? Or should we be more strict in keeping certain rules in Rehat?

I felt it was putting clothes first, what do you think? Also, is it necessary for the Sri Sahib to be of a particular length? I've heard it's 9 inches?

Gurfateh

sometimes its practical not to wear kara's on you arms, i usually take mine off when i need to and put them in my pocket or on the side etc. I can be wearing huge kara's when im working, cos i could get my arm trapped and then it would most likely get chopped off, i rather take it off then lose an arm.

Saihajleen Kaur Khalsa

I will ask you one question and if you will read it deeply then you will get the anwser for your question.

When Guru ji became "ooch-da-peer" at that time was he loosing rehat or keeping it?

Also, I asked how long the Sri Sahib (Kirpan Amrik Ji) should be?

If im not mistaken then the real size was 3 feet long for kirpan (e.g sword) and it was decreased during British era. I can be wrong and i'm not sure where I've read it.

to measure EK HATH,

measure your inner arm, starting from the tip of your index finger decending to the elbow joint

I've got a shaster exactly this length. From a fighting perspective, it feels as if it would be absolutely OK to use pure aggression and nil tecnhique with it, if you were to hack away with it like a machete.

Any shorter, and you're into knife-fighting territory. A totally different animal.

these are used as close quarter weapons, even hacking requires technique, there are pentra for all types of predicements and shastar.

:idea:

I'm sure you're right. But I bet the right shaster helps a lot. In some situations you might be better off with a hidden straight razor than an ek-hath short sword.

My ekh-hath shaster will swipe great chunks out of tress, with light-to-moderate club-like hits (i.e. without any sort of technique).

Having said that, this particular shaster is very very hard to come by, and its power as a weapon is probably greater than or equal to a machete.

I've worn the roughly-ekh-hath shaster (a bit longer than ekh-hath actually) around with me from day to day, and I was'nt happy with it. I found that if I positioned it right, the draw speed would be fine but it would not be possible to conceal it, even under clothes, without a conspicuous lump sticking out. Position it so you can conceal it better under your clothes, and you could'nt access it fast enough if you were surprised/ambused.

Hence I'm back to my (very heavily adapted and modified) 9-incher, which can be out and ready in a few hundredths of a jiffy.

Truth Ji, with all due respect, this Penji wasn't trying to get past Moghuls hunting her down to kill her, she had the choice, she has the freedom to keep her Rehat, if Guru Ji had the freedom, would they keep it, or regard it just as a 'idol' and keep it aside?

Truth Bro, I have asked further about the Ucha da Pir sakhi. That person told me that Guruji did not take off his 5 K's but rather wore the blue clothes that Sufis wear. So I don't understand how you can ask whether Guruji was keeping rehat or not.

As for Rehat being a guideline and not an idol, that seems a nonsensical way to look at Rehat. Being Rehatvaan is important. If rehat was just a guideline then why would Guruji say that rehat is more important to him than the Sikh ?.

Guidelines are set by people who are not exactly sure what they want and don't wish to antagonise those who are to follow these guidelines, guidelines are also for people who are lax in their habits.

Saihajleen Kaur Khalsa,

First of all let me make it clear that she should follow what her Panj Piayre told her. Second, I'm happy at least you took some time and read about Guru ji when he became Uch Da Peer. Third, Amrit Guidelines are not rituals and thats what I was trying to convey here. I have seen so many young sikhs trying to understand on different forums that what really is good and bad when you take Amrit? Now one jatha members come and say this is wrong and others are saying its not...:) All these questions just make you more confuse. If you have taken Amrit it shows that you have entered the spritual school and its time to become better and better.

Also, sister at the end its all about your karma and how spritual you were in your lifetime. We are forgetting basic rules which is "Naam-Kamayi" and want to spend our time behind what others are doing at the movement.

I hope I was not harsh. You are like my sister so I'm just being straight forward.