Wot does "Gur" Mean?

Wen i read da word Gur in da Guru Granth Sahib i read it has da lord Wahguru and not Guru Nanak (I know dat ders no difference between Guru Ji and Waheguru), cos in english translation it writes Gur as Guru, i tink dis is wrong. And I kno Gur is a Guru (Teacher) because, Guru Nanak has said once, "My Guru is the Lord himself", dis is at da top of my head, pls forgive me im wrong. To me its like saying Jesus is The God, i tink da hebrew version of da bible has also been wrongly translated, look at dis website www.jesusisnotgod.com.

OK now read da Gurmuki version and match it wid da english version, and instead of tinking Gur means Guru, or Guru Nanak, tink of it as Waheguru da greatest teacher.

Pls, Pls, Pls tell me if im wrong.

This Shabad is by Guru Nanak Dev Ji in Siree Raag on Pannaa 18

sireeraag mehal 1 ||

Siree Raag, First Mehl:

dhhaath milai fun dhhaath ko sifathee sifath samaae ||

As metal merges with metal, those who chant the Praises of the Lord are absorbed into the Praiseworthy Lord.

laal gulaal gehabaraa sachaa ra(n)g charraao ||

Like the poppies, they are dyed in the deep crimson color of Truthfulness.

sach milai sa(n)thokheeaa har jap eaekai bhaae ||1||

Those contented souls who meditate on the Lord with single-minded love, meet the True Lord. ||1||

bhaaee rae sa(n)th janaa kee raen ||

O Siblings of Destiny, become the dust of the feet of the humble Saints.

sa(n)th sabhaa gur paaeeai mukath padhaarathh dhhaen ||1|| rehaao ||

In the Society of the Saints, the Guru is found. He is the Treasure of Liberation, the Source of all good fortune. ||1||Pause||

oocho thhaan suhaavanaa oopar mehal muraar ||

Upon that Highest Plane of Sublime Beauty, stands the Mansion of the Lord.

sach karanee dhae paaeeai dhar ghar mehal piaar ||

By true actions, this human body is obtained, and the door within ourselves which leads to the Mansion of the Beloved, is found.

guramukh man samajhaaeeai aatham raam beechaar ||2||

The Gurmukhs train their minds to contemplate the Lord, the Supreme Soul. ||2||

thribidhh karam kamaaeeahi aas a(n)dhaesaa hoe ||

By actions committed under the influence of the three qualities, hope and anxiety are produced.

kio gur bin thrikuttee shhuttasee sehaj miliai sukh hoe ||

Without the Guru, how can anyone be released from these three qualities? Through intuitive wisdom, we meet with Him and find peace.

nij ghar mehal pashhaaneeai nadhar karae mal dhhoe ||3||

Within the home of the self, the Mansion of His Presence is realized when He bestows His Glance of Grace and washes away our pollution. ||3||

bin gur mail n outharai bin har kio ghar vaas ||

Without the Guru, this pollution is not removed. Without the Lord, how can there be any homecoming?

eaeko sabadh veechaareeai avar thiaagai aas ||

Contemplate the One Word of the Shabad, and abandon other hopes.

naanak dhaekh dhikhaaeeai ho sadh balihaarai jaas ||4||12||

O Nanak, I am forever a sacrifice to the one who beholds, and inspires others to behold Him. ||4||12||

--------------

This Shabad is by Guru Nanak Dev Ji in Jap on Pannaa 2

thhaapiaa n jaae keethaa n hoe ||

He cannot be established, He cannot be created.

aapae aap nira(n)jan soe ||

He Himself is Immaculate and Pure.

jin saeviaa thin paaeiaa maan ||

Those who serve Him are honored.

naanak gaaveeai gunee nidhhaan ||

O Nanak, sing of the Lord, the Treasure of Excellence.

gaaveeai suneeai man rakheeai bhaao ||

Sing, and listen, and let your mind be filled with love.

dhukh parehar sukh ghar lai jaae ||

Your pain shall be sent far away, and peace shall come to your home.

guramukh naadha(n) guramukh vaedha(n) guramukh rehiaa samaaee ||

The Guru's Word is the Sound-current of the Naad; the Guru's Word is the Wisdom of the Vedas; the Guru's Word is all-pervading.

gur eesar gur gorakh baramaa gur paarabathee maaee ||

The Guru is Shiva, the Guru is Vishnu and Brahma; the Guru is Paarvati and Lakhshmi.

jae ho jaanaa aakhaa naahee kehanaa kathhan n jaaee ||

Even knowing God, I cannot describe Him; He cannot be described in words.

guraa eik dhaehi bujhaaee ||

The Guru has given me this one understanding:

sabhanaa jeeaa kaa eik dhaathaa so mai visar n jaaee ||5||

there is only the One, the Giver of all souls. May I never forget Him! ||5||

Vaheguru je ka khalsa, Vaheguru je ke Fateh!

< God is One, without opposition. He is the creator

siqnwmu True is His Name

krqw purKu The doer of all that is manifest

inrBau He is without fear

inrvYru He is without enmity

Akwl mUriq Timeless is His form

AjUnI Beyond Births and Deaths

sYBM Self-Existent

gur pRswid ] Realised by the grace of the Guru

jpu ] Meditate on this Name

Awid scu True before the Ages

juugwid scu True at the start of the Ages

hY BI scu True now

nwnk hosI BI scu ]1] Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji says He shall be true in the future.

where it says gur prasad, that means with the grace of guru je, as in 11 gurus

bhul chuk maf

Vaheguru je ka khalsa, Vaheguru je ke fateh!

This Shabad is by Guru Raam Daas Ji in Raag Kaanraa on Pannaa 1296

kaanarraa mehalaa 4 ||

Kaanraa, Fourth Mehl:

har gun gaavahu jagadhees ||

Sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord, the Lord of the Universe.

eaekaa jeeh keechai lakh bees ||

Let my one tongue become two hundred thousand

jap har har sabadh japees ||

with them all, I will meditate on the Lord, Har, Har, and chant the Word of the Shabad.

har ho ho kirapees ||1|| rehaao ||

O Lord, please, please, be Merciful to me. ||1||Pause||

har kirapaa kar suaamee ham laae har saevaa har jap japae har jap japae jap jaapo jagadhees ||

O Lord, my Lord and Master, please be Merciful to me; please enjoin me to serve You. I chant and meditate on the Lord, I chant and meditate on the Lord, I chant and meditate on the Lord of the Universe.

thumarae jan raam japehi thae ootham thin ko ho ghum ghumae ghum ghum jees ||1||

Your humble servants chant and meditate on You, O Lord; they are sublime and exalted. I am a sacrifice, a sacrifice, a sacrifice, a sacrifice to them. ||1||

har thum vadd vaddae vaddae vadd oochae so karehi j thudhh bhaavees ||

O Lord, You are the Greatest of the Great, the Greatest of the Great, the most Lofty and High. You do whatever You please.

jan naanak a(n)mrith peeaa guramathee dhhan dhha(n)n dhhan dhha(n)n dhha(n)n guroo saabees ||2||2||8||

Servant Nanak drinks in the Ambrosial Nectar through the Guru's Teachings. Blessed, blessed, blessed, blessed, blessed and praised is the Guru. ||2||2||8||

• 1 month later...

Guru is not necessarily a reference to the 11 Gurus of Sikhs, if it were so that why are Sikhs so keen to indicate that the Sri Guru is for everyone, not only for the Sikhs? Or are we really trying to say that the Sri Guru is for everyone who becomes a Sikh (as per the definition given by most modern Rehit Maryadas) as part of some evangelical drive?

Please inform if this is so, or if I have misunderstood in anyway.

From my understanding, Gur or Guroo can have a multitude of meanings within the Sri Guroo (dependent on the context of its use), at times being as indicated reflecting the physical Guroo, at other times reflective of Jyot, often termed Sat Guroo Poora within the Sri Guru, certainly in the latter examples provided by Rupz, this would apply:-

guramukh naadha(n) guramukh vaedha(n) guramukh rehiaa samaaee ||

The Guru's Word is the Sound-current of the Naad; the Guru's Word is the Wisdom of the Vedas; the Guru's Word is all-pervading.

The Guru is Shiva, the Guru is Vishnu and Brahma; the Guru is Paarvati and Lakhshmi.

Humbly,

Niranjana

very well explain nirjana bhaji.. Yes not everytime guroo word is reference to our 11 guroo maharaj ji.

Siri guroo granth sahib ji message is for everyone :D

I got one question which i was curious about for a long time now... This is an classic example.

Does this above verse specifically givin updesh to people who follow shiva, vishnu, brahma, paarvati or everone including guroo maharaj daie sikhs at time of updesh??

If its given to everyone then... how come soo much ignorance in the sikh community belitting Shiva, Vishnu and Brahma. I asked one person he said, guroo maharaj himself belittle shiva, vishnu, paarvati but then at the same time praise them....

perhaps my freind took tuk out of context from bachitar natak or guroo maharaj ji said that tuk in different circumstances (Like people idol worshiping them). It might be guroo maharaj's way of teachin their followers by given an logical answer...

These kinda things i always wonder... slowly start gettin them as time passes by... :D

Thanks in advance..

akaaaaaaaaal hiii akaaaaal

anand hiii anand :D