The future of the turban in America...

Alright, I've been thinking this over since an incident occurred in school today.

I was walking down the hallway (Senior in HS), and there was another student who was wearing a baseball cap on, and a teacher requested him to remove the cap, and of course, he pointed at me and said "how come he can wear that?"

The teacher replied that, that is his religion, whereas wearing a baseball cap is not yours. And the student then mocked and said, "Wearin' a hat is part of my religion"

Of course that was a reasonable response from the teacher, but if the student wished to look into it further, couldnt he find a loophole?

Loophole being that allowing me to wear a turban and him not to cover his head with a cap is discrimination against him? And suppose he says wearing the baseball cap is part of his religion, what can the teacher say?

That its not part of your religion, you must take it off?...

And if the student decides to take it further, how can we find out whats considered more spiritual than the other (baseball cap or the turban) ?

And even if we prove to the student that Sikhism is a religion that has been around for many years, cant the student just say, "So, im creating my own, and i view wearing the baseball cap as spiritual?"

Of course the government has to draw lines, but if they allow the turban, wont that be discrimination against him?

How do we stop someone from "making up" a religion that could harm us?

I've just been thinking this over with Frances recent decision to ban religious symbols...So far it just seems that no student has ever taken this cause to court, but if they do....wont they win? (baseball cap vs turban) ?

-S|kH

Legendry Sikh,

You should not take this kind of mockery or jokes lightly. If he has made comparision of your religion or I would say ridiculed your religion then you should take it seriously and clear his ignorance properly. I would recommend that you should go to principle and report it and if they don't do anything then report it to Sikh orgs.

This is how Sikh jokes became common because Sikhs never took them seriously and now cry like anything. You should go against his mockery and report it and that guy should be warned for his behaviour. You have your religion with 24 million followers to support and once he can get to that level and have baseball cap part of his religion then you can discuss about descrimination.

You and I know that it was pure form of mockery of your religion and you should stand up and clear this ignorance and take it very seriously otherwise in long run I'm pretty sure that you will have to see this kind of jokes and mockery more and more.

Here are the few articles for Turbans and other resources.

http://www.sikhcoalition.org/Sikhism11.asp

http://www.sikhnet.com/s/Light

Hareet Ji, the United States of America is a civilized country, in the pledge of alliegeance, which every American in school does every morning, it states specifically during the conclusion, "With liberty and justify for all." America is established on religious rights, they accept all faiths. France, on the contrast wants to be in control of its civilians. However, America is land for the public, where the government is limited to set such conditions on its citizens.

Further, if we look into the constitutuion, it is based on the lines of "all men are created equal."

America is a melting pot, with so many cultures and religions, I think this country is by far smart enough to judge the difference between a baseball cap and a religious turban...

WJKK WJKF

"With liberty and justify for all."

lol, the pledge of allegience states justice for all...

but, do you know how many times the pledge has been changed and altered?...The original pledge didn't even have the word "God" in it.

So the pledge has relatively no meaning in it at all.

and liberty for all would mean that the kid would be able to wear a cap, because its discriminating against him, by allowing me to wear the turban.

I GURANTEE you this will be a problem we will face soon, but its ok, just sit back and the yell about it when it arises. Republicans think like that, that if you give something to someone, its discriminating someone else.

So Gurjote paji, open your mind up more,

i think your "CONFUSED AGAIN..." lol

oh jaiiiiii.

-S|kH

As for "The Admin"...actually if you just show the kid that your a normal person and you dont argue back against him, and you teach sometime where he's able to be taught, he'll learn. If i was to get angry then, and go complain to the principal it would only incite more hatred in the kid, so just let it be, its only a joke, shouldnt take it so seriously ;)

We all laugh at the various stereotypes of the black male, white male, and indian males here. No biggie. You teach them once he's calm, then you mention to him the significance of it. But thanks anyway.

Paji, thank you for your kind joke.

If the American government was to ban Turbans, they would have to ban all other religious articles of clothing. I don't see this happening at all in America. And I'm not aware of any religions stating that a "baseball cap" is an article of faith.

Any civilized democratic country (besides India), would easily be able to distinguish the differences between a baseball cap and a turban.

Yes, liberty means the kid should be allowed to wear the cap. He should then wear it and argue if it really bothers him. But i think he has the sense to accept the fact, that in American tradition, it is wrong for children to wear hats in school. But if it hurts him so spiritually, he should fight for his rights.

Another thing veer, yes this problem may arrive in the future, and I think it already has, and it never really ended up banning the turban. This issue likely occurs in sports, however, from all of the cases I read, the Sikh was allowed to play.

We can only react to a situation that occurs like this, I don't see any other solution. Should we cause the problem, and then make a fuss about it? If you see anyway we can take care of this problem, please feel free to share your solution.

BHUL CHUK MAAF KARNI...

oh jaiii

If i was to get angry then, and go complain to the principal it would only incite more hatred in the kid, so just let it be, its only a joke, shouldnt take it so seriously

We all laugh at the various stereotypes of the black male, white male, and indian males here. No biggie. You teach them once he's calm, then you mention to him the significance of it. But thanks anyway.

If you were not concerned about it then why do you need to make post? Just wondering?