Why Do Sikh Women Wear Turbans ?

Guest Javanmard

Dear Shaitan ka bacha (I love that name :LOL::LOL: ) I suggest a very good artcile on the matter: http://www.shastarvidiya.org/htmls/keski_introduction.html

In addition to that I can add that a lot of girls are made to believe that in order to get any respect by men they should dress up like men. Interestingly enough these people keep on talking about Mai Bhago as being a proper Khalsa woman but fact is she had to ask for explicit permission from Guru Gobind Singh to do so because a woman dressed as a man in South Asia is considered a 3rd gender person. It is a renowned fact that all the major rulers in India had amazon bodyguards i.e. female body guards dressed as men. Maharaja Ranjit Singh himslef had a whole battaillon of such amazon bodyguards.There is a famous article by Walter Penrose on a similar issue: Female Homoeroticism in South Asia where he mentions amazon bodyguards.

http://www.hawaii.edu/hivandaids/Female%20...sian%20Past.pdf

proper Khalsa woman but fact is she had to ask for explicit permission from Guru Gobind Singh to do so because a woman dressed as a man in South Asia is considered a 3rd gender person.

Care to provide reference that she had to ask for PERMISSION and wasn't TOLD to do so, and wasn't tied HERSELF BY GURU MAHARAj

care to prove :)?

It is a renowned fact that all the major rulers in India had amazon bodyguards i.e. female body guards dressed as men.

You get dressed as a Man cvause you have a Turban would be like Saying yoiu wear clothes like a man cause men usually have gym shoes or something :LOL:

Guest Javanmard

Reference: read Macauliffe's History of the SIkhs in the volume on Guru Gobind Singh! It's in there! And please do bring the choose SIkhism thread back: there was no reason to take it off!

Pratice of wearing dastar should be encouraged to women but not "Forced". Whats wrong with the women feel strongly about wearing an dastar gifted by guroo maharaj ji? None!. After all, its her body she can decorate it whichever way she feels tooo!!!

My 2 cents...

Guest Javanmard

I would be careful about encouraging it! If a girl feels she does not fit in her own gender and desires to adopt 3rd gender identity (for example lesbian or asexual) she might wear a dastar as a regular wear.No problem!

But for the normal girls there is no need for that and it actually goes against well established codes. The Rahitname talk about chunni not dastar for women!!!!

I would be careful about encouraging it! If a girl feels she does not fit in her own gender and desires to adopt 3rd gender identity (for example lesbian or asexual) she might wear a dastar as a regular wear.No problem!

Quite a suitation you created man...lol :LOL::LOL: ... but nah seriously man this kinda suitation never occured in sikh history :D

Guest Singh47

I don’t know how Nirmalas do it. But we the Sikhs wear Dastars, whether you think of it as a kakkar or not. If you want to look like a female "Musalmaan'ni" or Hindhu then don’t wear a Keski, but if you want to look like a daughter of Guru Gobind Singh Jee, then wear a Keski. Men and women are equal in Sikhism. Sikh women are warriors just like the Sikh men. They are not supposed to be weak, fragile feminine beings. Also, no one forces women to wear a keski, this is the first time I have heard this. On the contrary I have seen many cases in which parents have forcibly taken the keski’s off of there daughters.

Also people, I am not debating whether or not Keski is a Kakkar. But it’s really displeasing to see when people insult women who wear keski by saying “third gender†or “forced to wear a keskiâ€. Statements such as these are an insult to Sant Baba Gurbachan Singh Jee’s wife and the rest of the women in his family who even to this day wear keskis. Are you people trying to imply that the women in his family are a "third gender" and were "forced" to wear keski by Sant Baba Gurbachan SIngh Jee Bhindrawala? hmm?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mod Note: Can you edit slur you have used for Muslims? Please be respectful.