Songs of the Eastern Tradition

Guest Javanmard

Also I don't know the address for the site, but you can get the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom of the Orthodox Church in it's entirety as recited by the monks at the Patriarche of Constantinople's church/Patriarchate.

I was very lucky at Christmas to have heard the liturgy at the Chruch in Istanbul in the presence of the Patriarche. It was a truly awe-inspiring experience. I have been to the divine liturgy at Greek Orthodox churches before, but nothing really prepares for the beauty at the Patriarchate.

Here's a link to a photo of the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew;

http://www.patriarchate.org/visit/html/picture_5.html

On a similar note, before the arriving at the church, I was walking from a famous but gupt Sufi dargah that I had visited a couple of times, across the top of one of Istanbul's hills to the Patriarche's church, on the otherside of the hill. I then had an incredible experience, of hearing the adhan (call to prayer) moving through the many many mosques from the hub of the city up to the hill, as waves of sound as each muezzin heard the previous and started through differently toned speakers, finally blossoming into a loud, complex maze of beautiful tonality. The very same night I was sat in a clandestine zikhir again immersed in incredible sound. Istanbul, good for the soul, the ears but not for a vaishnu belly.

I'm writing an article about the yatra which I may post here at somepoint (puratan sikhi has links to Mevlevi tasuwwuf, hence my visit).