Flash question

Guest Maha_Pavitar

Guest Maha_Pavitar

I'm a designer for Print Media..but in my 'spare' time trying to design through other mediums as well..

I'm building a portfolio for myself, there are templates for Picture slideshows that work quite well, but I would like the first page to have a menu with different categories of my work. Can this be done with the template, or will I have to build a different structure myself?

Help is appreciated..Flash is not one of the weapons I use daily ;)

I'm a designer for Print Media..but in my 'spare' time trying to design through other mediums as well..

I'm building a portfolio for myself, there are templates for Picture slideshows that work quite well, but I would like the first page to have a menu with different categories of my work. Can this be done with the template, or will I have to build a different structure myself?

Help is appreciated..Flash is not one of the weapons I use daily ;)

Ok !! from what I could get it from your requirement... I have re-created rather remodified the same template in flash... click the link below...

http://members.lycos.co.uk/neutralvenue/fl...0Portfolio.html

If this is what you are looking for then its a piece of cake... :D

Chardee Kalaa...

Guest Maha_Pavitar

Thank you jee..that template looks perfect :) Again so sorry for my ignorance..I have no experience in this medium of design..so Flahs is very new for me..some questions:

1)How can I download this as a template and run it in Flash Mx 2004

2)Is there a limit on how many image I can upload in each section (portfolio one, two, three)

3)Can I rename those different sections

thanks for your help jee..

Thanks for your encouragement.

You asked.

1)How can I download this as a template and run it in Flash Mx 2004.

I would, ofcourse, provide you the modified FLA file i.e. the source file to experiment in Flash Mx 2004. But there is one bottleneck. I am presently using Flash 6 MX, so you have to import this file to Flash MX 2004, which to my knowledge is possible only after downloading a 31 MB patch from www.macromedia.com website. I will provide you the link to that patch shortly. Do you have older version of Flash i.e. Flash 6 MX ? There would be no problem then.

2)Is there a limit on how many image I can upload in each section (portfolio one, two, three)

Ofcourse, there is absolutely NO LIMIT in Flash...:D.

3)Can I rename those different sections.

Yes, ofcourse, that template was just a sample.

As I gather from your posts, you don't have much experiece in this medium of design as yet. So, until you get youself familiarised with new medium, you could can just put down your desired options right here and I would love to render it for you, although with my limited expertise. It should be a good learning curve for me as well...

Infact, if you could just putdown here the designs in your mind like the name of the sections, images and desired outputs. Letcee what can be done...:D

Chardee Kalaa...

Guest Maha_Pavitar

Veerji..sorry for the late response..just wanted to plan everything, I know how hard it is to structure these templates.. :wink:

1)I only hae Flash MX 2004, the patch would be no problem for me..

2 & 3)Great about there being no limit..I thought that was the case, but making sure as I have a 'huge' portfolio. Of course you can re-name..man I feel smart today :) I guess it's always best to make sure..

You are very correct, I've used Flash just a few times and the progress is minimal because in the Print Industry there is absolute no need for it. My tools are Photoshop and Quark..and I don't want to get out of the Print Media mold, but I want to diversify..more opportunitites and experience..

Wow..I'm touched with your offer to help..and at this point it's a learning experience for me as well, so I'll gladly take your offer and hope I can assist you with something in the future.

Sections..

1)Advertisements

and then just some text on the first frame of this section saying:

Magazine

Freelance

Selfless

2)Creative Designs/concepts

3)Poetry

The sample template you showed me was perfect for now. I really like how the section names are on top. I just want something that is extremely user friendly so that prospective employers can browse through my portfolio.

I'll convert all the images to jpegs and upload them, I think I can handle that part, and I'll edit the captions as well. Buttons to go back/forward/auto play..as you had in the sample. I hope to be as good in this medium as I am in Print in the coming months and will then keep refining the portfolio myself..

Thanks again for all your help..it truly means a lot!

Sat Sri Akal

Sammeet Penji... Apoligies for delay in responding...

Please check the progress so far on your project by clicking below. Hope the progress is on the desired track... If you want some specific changes please let me know. Err... I messed up with your name in there... that will be corrected...:D

Here is the link...

http://members.lycos.co.uk/neutralvenue/fl...0Portfolio.html

Chardee Kalaa...

Guest Maha_Pavitar

:o

Veerj

that is great

thank you so much for your help :)

Do you want me to get back to you about the text summaries, or if you give me the fla files later I'm sure I can render the text quite easily..

Also, I don't think I need the patch--I was working with a template the other day from the older version of Flash and it worked fine.

Chardee Kala!!

:o

Veerj

that is great

thank you so much for your help :)

Do you want me to get back to you about the text summaries, or if you give me the fla files later I'm sure I can render the text quite easily..

Also, I don't think I need the patch--I was working with a template the other day from the older version of Flash and it worked fine.

Chardee Kala!!

Thankyou Penji... 8)

I am loving this project, you should send me the text summaries... I would love to do it...

And thats gr8 that you donot need the patch... quite strangely in my version of Flash MX 2004, I can not open any template of older versions... :roll: wonder why ?

Waiting for your text summaries...

P.S. Quark... I think is used in magazine/newspapers printing, I think...

Guest Maha_Pavitar

Quark is what we live on :D haha..seriously though it's a page-layout program, used to make single advertisements, magazines/publications..it works well with Photoshop/Illustrator. The software itself is not that difficult to use, it's really how you use it that makes it interesting..

I have a full time job and 2 freelance contracts..hoping to get my third this week actually :) I started off in Print Media and wanted to expand to Animation/Web Design and other mediums but for me nothing is better than Print media. I am looking forward to learning more about Flash, Web Design in the coming months..

Text Summaries:

Magazine: These are advertisements and layouts made in various issues of FunAsiA DesiPages.

Freelance: Advertisemetns and designs used in my freelance contracts and publications including Mass Communications, Smart Start Advertising and Pet Gazettes.

Selfless: These are advertisements, designs, logos/flyers made for charity organisations done free of charge.

Creative Designs/Concepts: These are self-expressions made for myself, others, and some for simple practice.

Poetry: My poems and writings mixed with design elements.

I think that's the best I can think of right now (lol), if it's just a matter of text I know if needs be I'll be able to change it later..I think that's it veerj, would you be able to send me the template soon after and also some directions on how to proceed with the rest (i.e. uploading images)..lol I just want to be sure I get it right..If you ever need some lessons in Photoshop or Quark or designs made please let me know..

And thats gr8 that you donot need the patch... quite strangely in my version of Flash MX 2004, I can not open any template of older versions... :roll: wonder why ?

I can tell u why ur flash mx 2004 doesnt open templates from older versions. :DITS, COS YOUR FLASH IS INDIAN. :D

The template i sent to Summeet bhen ji was Flash mx 6 i tihnk and that opened fine. The reason for that is MY FLASH IS BIRITISH :D

p.s Summeet kaur ji, i got Flash mx 2004 Professinal version now, so ur flash might be outdated for my software:roll:

I can tell u why ur flash mx 2004 doesnt open templates from older versions. :DITS, COS YOUR FLASH IS INDIAN. :D

The template i sent to Summeet bhen ji was Flash mx 6 i tihnk and that opened fine. The reason for that is MY FLASH IS BIRITISH :D

p.s Summeet kaur ji, i got Flash mx 2004 Professinal version now, so ur flash might be outdated for my software:roll:

LOL... I am not sure of this British - Indian connection... but I have also got Flash mx 2004 Professinal version so there lies the problem and its solution...

Dear Penji should I email you the fla file in hotmail id as given in your profile... ?

And thanx again admin Ji...:)

Chardee Kalaa...

Guest Maha_Pavitar

:) Thanks for this veerji..they're right, you have a bright future ahead of you, and I wish you the very best and am sincerely soooo blessed that you helped me in such a big capacity..bless you!

I'm not sure how big the fla file is..hotmail has limits..Please try either one of these:

Summeet_kaur@Hotmail.com (as indicated in the profile)

or

sweetsikhi@netscape.net (up to 10mb limit)

if it's more than that which I don't think it will be (lol) I'll give you my office email, also could you kindly include some instructions on how to upload the pictures to each 'frame'.

thanks veerji :)

SSA Penji,

The FLA file (1.12MB size) has been mailed to your netscape account. Your hotmail account did not accept it. In case of any trouble/bugs... just report here.

I am in the process of writing some instructions and will be posting / emailing the same shortly. Please make a duplicate copy of the template file to avoid the hastle of downloading the file again.

It was a gr8 fun to do it... :D

Regards...

I first used flash about 4 years ago because i refused to use powerpoint cos its a bit gay.

Did my presentation in Flash and got the highest marks :wink: That was Flash 4 .

After that used flash here and there but since the past 2 years i havent touched flash. Last night i downloaded Flash mx 2004 and its got a different feel to it along with tonns of functionalty.

Summeet kaur bhenji, I would advice u to learn flash cos the next step for u is to make ur static design /picture come to life with flash.

Ofcourse You cant be as good as Ideal singh at flash, and he cant be as good as u in Photoshop.

And you both cant be as good as me in either. :twisted:

Modest singh :roll:

I first used flash about 4 years ago because i refused to use powerpoint cos its a bit gay.

Did my presentation in Flash and got the highest marks :wink: That was Flash 4 .

After that used flash here and there but since the past 2 years i havent touched flash. Last night i downloaded Flash mx 2004 and its got a different feel to it along with tonns of functionalty.

Summeet kaur bhenji, I would advice u to learn flash cos the next step for u is to make ur static design /picture come to life with flash.

Ofcourse You cant be as good as Ideal singh at flash, and he cant be as good as u in Photoshop.

And you both cant be as good as me in either. :twisted:

Modest singh :roll:

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Guest Maha_Pavitar

ahem :roll: Amardeep Veerji, when I'm not tired (lol) no one beats me at Photoshop or Quark..

Modest Singhnee :P

Just kidding though..Amardeep Veerji is an all-round guy at computing..can't wai tto be like my brother one day..haha

Thanks Ideal Singh veerji, I'll check my mail and start uploading later today..