status of ravan within gurbani

hello everyone,

2 nights ago, I went out for a nice walk and I met a katha vaachik at the local gurdawara (a nanaksar tath). This katha vaachik made 2 VERY interesting point in front of the sangat. The first was that guru sahib had kept dasam granth 1 page (2 sides) purposely smaller. I asked him what he meant and he said that guru sahib meant dasam granth to be at a very respected shastar level (hence we bow). He had spent some time in hazoor sahib.

The second point that was made was that ravan is the most honored bhagat in all of gurbani. He gave a quotation from guru granth sahib ji (aad) and then he gave guru gobind singh ji's veneration from dasam granth.

another very interesting point that was brought up was his translation of 9 patshahi de salok.

raam gayo, raavan gayo......

he said ram hasn't gone anywhere. We say raam X number of times in gurbani... ram is everywhere, he said that when sri raam chandar went to go fight ravan he had to shoot him where his amrit (from his bhagtee, which was in his naabi) was in his body. They said at the moment, god had to come...hence raaam gayo.....god had to go to and intervene, then ravan left...so it was god going to intervene, ravan left thereafter.

food for thought, he might have been a bit off, but he might be completely right in some other way, I think it was worth sharing

raam gayo, raavan gayo......

Ram Chander went, Raavan went...

I believe this just means that no matter how powerful, EVERYONE must depart, NOONE is forever. This just tells us that our time here on earth is precious and let's make use of it to learn and realise our true selves.

Also, Ravan is most honoured Bhagat in Gurbani??? This is obviosuly NOT TRUE.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Check out Yogeshwar Manohar Harkare's interpretation of Ravan character of Hindu mythology.

Please, have a look at his work.

http://www.geocities.com/yogirajharkare/ravan.htm

Also, as per Hindu mythology it shows really good end where Sri Ramchander asked Laxman to take last movement "Vidya" from Ravan.

http://channels.vandemataram.com/Ramayan.jsp?Id=24

Ravan Honoured

Then turning to Laxman, Ram said, "O dear brother, look, the mighty Ravan is lying on his death bed. His knowledge of Vedas and Scripture is beyond doubt. Equally true is the fact that you will not find a more knowledgeable authority on politics, statesmanship, and sociology on the earth today. Please go and get the knowledge from him."

Thus Laxman, sitting at the feet of Ravan, learnt many useful things on diplomacy, politics, tax structure, social reforms, war preparedness and many more from him. When Ravan breathed his last, Ram himself conducted the last rites befitting the grandeur of Brahmin Rakshas King. Thus, one important aspect of the Divine Play - LEELA - enacted by the Lord came to an end.

Ravan and Hanuman, Laxman and Sita, Sugreev and Jambuwant, (and all others) were but the actors playing their allotted or designated role. Nobody is all evil, nobody is all good! The human form by necessity brings weaknesses to the human character. Some appear sinners, some saints! We, as individuals have to learn the Truth of life and make it worthwhile by performing worthy and noble actions! Do not judge others. Judge yourselves impartially.

And don't miss this article if you can read Punjabi.

http://www.5abi.com/mchetna/sikh/gobind/06...r-harbhajan.htm

waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh

amrit bhaaji,

I didn't catch this katha vachik's name but he is part of the nanaksar wing that views gurdev singh as the current mahapursh of nanaksar. He was from punjab and said he visited some 8+ years ago and spent something like 15 days. He must have gone their for punia. He said the current poojari-ji at that time was hazooora singh.

he had also done katha and kirtan at nanak jhira for 2 days and 2 nights. I'll try to find out his name for you.

He also mentioned that hari singh or hari das was beside guruji when guruji said "agya bhayee akaal kee, tabee chalayo panth...." and that it was written on a parche and

a) either recorded within the copy of guru granth sahib there.

B) kept safely by the poojari there.