A Commendable Response to a Shocking Experience

http://khalsapride.com/ChickenSoup/99.htm

A Commendable Response to a Shocking Experience

Sartaj Singh

While studying for final exams, a girl that I know from one of my classes sat with my friend and I. All three of us had the same exam the next morning. She asked if she could join us and we both agreed with no hesitation.She and I are acquaintances, since we had this one class together.

She happens to be Pakistani and was born here in the states as I am a Sardar and am too born here in the states. While studying, she stopped and looked to me and stated that in my culture hair is kept as a sign of showing that all the Muslims in the world are not dead. She continued to state that in my culture that the hair would not be cut until all Muslims in the world are dead. My friend and I looked at each other in shock and then I looked at her and asked where did she hear this information from. She then stated that another Pakistani girl from campus told her this. That other girl too is born here in the states as well.

In shock, I quickly tried to explain to her That these statements are totally false. I quickly explained the importance of keeping hair In Sikhi, as a identity of our religion. But the damage has been done. It shocks me that she and this other girl believe this and the fact that thoughts from 500 years ago today still remain and are being taught to the first generation of children from the indo-pak area born here In America. That ignorance still continues out of fear of not understanding.

I discussed what happened to me with several of My friends, both Sikh and non Sikh. All of them were in shock as well, and could not believe these statement were made. Many reacted out of anger and stated very heated feelings. And at first, I was angered as well. I did not know what to do or what to say, let alone if I should retaliate or not.

But after some thinking, I believe That the only thing I can do is just to show love to these two girls, not hate. I happen to know who That other girl is who stated these assumptions to the Pakistani girl in my class. That other Pakistani girl happens to be good friends with My roommate, who is a Sikh as well, but clean shaven. I quickly joked to change the mood when I was there and said "well, you know my roommate is a Sikh and he's clean shaven, so maybe you should talk to him because he cuts his hair so he must think all the Muslims In the world are dead, not me."

But then I spoke to my father, And he reminded me that even though Guru Ram Das (I believe) planned and started the building of the golden temple, it was a Muslim who laid down the first stone. And also that In the Guru Granth Sahib there are Muslim priests who have there scriptures written in there, such as Kabir. But it ultimately comes down to love.

Not all Hindus or Muslims are bad, just like unfortunately not all Sikhs are good. Just because these two girls believe this viewpoint should not mean that I and everyone else should show hate towards them or there culture, regardless of the bitter history between Sikhs and Muslims from yesterday and today. I must show love to both of these women and educate them on why Sikhs do keep there hair and retain there identity, so that they too can realize there thoughts are incorrect. Hopefully they will soon realize the truth to the issue and how there beliefs are false. I will be approaching both of these women again once the semester starts and show nothing but love as I discuss this matter with them.

So, basically all I am saying is that hate will get you no where. Love will triumph over all. So as we live in this world, love all people and be nice to all - regardless of race or religion. Because once you part from people and those people move onto different parts of this world and when they see another sardar or a sardarni, they will have positive feelings toward them. Because if you do something good or bad to one, they will tell others. Many will try to combat them and say- for example- that Sikhs are bad. But if they have received kindness And love from one Sikh, they will quickly stop them and state that this is false. I hope my thoughts I have shared spark some thoughts In your own minds as well. It is something definitely to think about.

And also that In the Guru Granth Sahib there are Muslim priests who have there scriptures written in there, such as Kabir.

this is incorrect, kabir ji rejected the practises of the muslims and hindus. he started up his own religion if u didnt know.

saying kabir ji is mulsim is like saying guru nanak dev ji is a hindu. guruji was born in a hindu household, but wasnt muslim, just like kabirji.

this is incorrect, kabir ji rejected the practises of the muslims and hindus. he started up his own religion if u didnt know.

saying kabir ji is mulsim is like saying guru nanak dev ji is a hindu. guruji was born in a hindu household, but wasnt muslim, just like kabirji.

I don't know if you checked but that article was pasted from the webpage mentioned right before the title heading.