When Is It OK to Pull the Plug?

from sikhportal site

---

As you guys know in america there is recent major debates going on Terri Schiavo.

Terri Schiavo suffered cardiac arrest in her home, apparently caused from a potassium imbalance in 1990. The lack of oxygen flow to her brain caused permanent damage. Her husband, Michael Schiavo, was appointed as her legal guardian by the court. In 1998, her husband petitioned to have her feeding tube removed. Her parents argued against it. It is now 2004, and her feeding tube is gone. As the news reports say, she is fading fast and her parents are making a final appeal to the Senate to have her feeding tube replaced.

Her parents are appealing to higher courts to put her feeding tube back, but the lady's husband argued that it be removed. Both are looking out for her well being, yet I cannot figure out what I would do in their place.

There are two sides to this:

If a person has a chance of recovering from a serious mental accident such as this one, so we have the right to decide if they live or not? How does a person decide what is best for those he/she loves?

If a person does not have a chance of recovering, is it safe to say that they will be better off dead than in the condition they are in right now?

How does one make the choice?

What does Sikhi say? What do you say?

Please discuss :)

• 2 weeks later...

The Schiavo case goes beyond looking out for her well-being, a key factor of the matter was what her wishes were.

I think the best decision to make would be what the individual wants. My grandmother was in a state much like Terri's after a stroke. My mom has made it very clear that she does not want to be connected to a feeding tube or other forms of life support. My sister and I feel the same way. We would want the plug pulled on us.

I would follow my family's wishes...whether or not they concurred with mine. I do not see anything morally wrong with either side.

I agree with you all, but this is the care case where I support euthanasia...I mean she starved to death...we give more respect to convicts on death row, that have a painless death (lethal injection).

Also, I'm not too sure about this, but I believe her condition was caused by anorexia, which was caused by her husband. He threatened to leave her if she didn't lose weight...at least that is what I've heard; have not verified it.