Vichar on Mool Mantar

Vichar on Mool Mantar: taken from tapoban.org

so i would like to start with this - and I would not like to discuss whether it is mool mantar or manglaa charan, - this vichar / viakaaran is more for understanding the specific meaning of words.

-- -----------

It is really Manglacharan. Manglacharan is just beautiful and is also called Mool Mantra. Jaap of Mool Mantra like other Gurbani greatly aids in japping Naam Gurmantr.

---------------

bhai sahib ji could you please kindly help in this seva and so here goes with my frist question:

IK O-A(ng)-KAAR SAT(i)NAAM(u) KARTAA PURAKH NIRBHAU NIRVAIR AKAAL MOORAT(i) AJOONEE SAIBHU(ng) GURPRASAAD(i) ||

-------------

The shallow meanings of the great Manglacharan of Vaheguru, done by our Guru Sahibaan are as follows:

Ik-Oankaar – Vaheguru is one.

Sat – Sathirta-wala yaani ke sattata wala yaani ke one who is stable.

Naam – He is Naam roop.

Please note that "Sat" and "Naam" are not joint words but different. It is Ik Oankaar, Sat, Naam, Karta ...

Karta – He is the doer.

Purakh – He is the only Purakh and everyone else are his naar i.e. istree. Purakh also means one who pervades everything and is omnipresent.

Akaal-Moorat – He does have a Moorat or image that is timeless. Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee has written that the word “Moorat” here is very significant because it proves that though Vaheguru has no worldly form i.e. no form made of five elements but still he has a moorat.

While the sihaari to the end of this word “Moorat” is because it is the mool-ang of this word but Bhai Sahib has written that the purpose of this sihaari is twofold. One, it is the mool ang of this word and second it gives the meaning of “wala” i.e. Moorat-wala. He does have a form and when Gurbani says that he is formless, it means that he does not have traigunni form and of 5 elements.

Ajooni – He is beyond the joonis. He does not come in Andaj, Jeraj, Utbhaj, Setaj the four ways all living creatures are born.

Saibhan – He is self-illuminated and self-created. This word is made up of two words Swaiyam and Bhoo. Swaiyam means self and bhoo means create or simply "to be". I think Bhoo is derived from the word “Bhaiya”. Vaheguru Swaiyam taun bhaiya hai i.e. he is there as a result of himself and not created by anyone else.

Gur-Prasaad – This word is made up of two words Guru and Prasaad. Gu means darkness and Ru means light.

The “raara” of this word “Gur” is mukta i.e. without aunkad and sihaari because of the presence of sambandh kaarak – daa or kaa in front of it.

The sihaari in the end of “Prasaad” is there because this word is a singular noun in Karan Kaarak form.

All other nouns in Mool Mantr are Karta Kaarak form except for “ikk” that is “sankhiyavaachi Parrnaav” as opposed to being a “ikk-vachan Karta-kaarak Naav”. This sihaari denotes the meaning of through. Gur-prasaad means that “Vaheguru with above qualities is attained through the grace or Parsaad of Guru”.

Over her Mangla charan ends. If I am not wrong, this manglacharan appears in Gurbani 13 times.

--------

JAP(U) ||

--------

This is the name of the masterpiece Gurbani of Siri Guru Nanak Dev jee Maharaaj. Out of respect, Sikhs add adjectives like “Siri” in the beginning of “Jap” and “jee” in the end of “Jap”. Siri Jap jee Sahib that is.

------------

AAD(i) SACH(u) JUGAAD(i) SACH(u) HAI BHEE SACH(u) NAANAK HOSEE BHEE SACH(u) || 1 ||

-------

Aad means beginning of creation or such period that we think is the beginning. God knows what really it is meant by beginning or ending. This concept of beginning and ending is unique to our mortal world. There is no such concept in Sach Khand.

Jugaad means beginning of juggs. Before the juggs, when Vaheguru created this creation, there was sunn and pure dhundh for long time. This period is being referred to as “Jugaad” here. This was the time when the process of creation had begun but creation as we see today had not manifested yet. Perhaps only five elements were created at that time and jeevs had not come in the world yet.

“Hai Bhee” means even now.

Hosee means in the future

Sach means eternal and true. Sach is something that cannot change. If something changes its form then it cannot be sach.

Vaheguru was there before the process of creation started and before the advent of the seen creation and when the juggs started. He is in existence even today and in the future too, he will continue to exist totally unchanged. He is today what he was in the past we comprehend and will always be same as he is today.

Gurbani is aggam-agaadh-bodh. What can we write about it or do its katha? "Aap apni budh hai jeti || barnat bhin bhin tuhe tetti" wali gal hai jee. Sangat sewa parvaan karay. Guru Sahib galtee baksh layen.

Daas,

Kulbir Singh

Please put your thoughts on mool mantar as well :)

mool mantra should always be recited by feeling its meaning, otherwise it doesnt seem to have much effect.

Ik Onkar - There is only 1, Universal, Doer, Happening, Reality

Sat Nam - This has a deeper meaning. People may call Ik Onkar by many names, for example, God, Allah, Rab, Ishwar, Parmesar, Ram, Krishna etc.. But all these names are man given. Ik Onkar has always had a name but that name cannot be said. It cannot be recited. His true name is always there. Its always True. Hence its called Sat Nam. Not that Sat Nam is a name. But His name has always been there, now and will always be. While saying Sat Nam. Feel his name pervading the entire creation and within you.

Karta - doer

Purakh - Wise, Person, Supreme Identity

Nir Bhau - No Fear. There is no fear implying he is the freind to all, all powerful. While Saying nirbhau, feel this aspect within you.

Nir Vair - No Hatred.

Akaal - Kaal means death, time. Time is the death of all. All maya that we see is eventually destroyed by kaal. Akaal means the opposite. Creater of time. Timeless. Beyond Time. Everpresent.

Moorat - Originally means statue or image.

Akaal Moorat - Image of Akaal

Ajoonee - Joonee means someone who is born, or in cycle or birth and deaths. Ajoone means beyond this state

Saibhang - Self created

Ajoone Saibhan - Not born Self created. While saying this feel this aspect within you.

Gur Parsad - gift/grace of the Guru. In Other words Ik Onkar is realizable through the Guru

Jap - Jap has slightly different meaning then chant, recite. It is more of a deeper meaning and becoming one with what you are saying with repitition.

Aad - In the very begining

Sach - true

Jug - age of time, era of time

aad - from the begining .

Jugaad - all the ages since begining. or in all ages

Sach - True

Hai - is, here, present

bhee - is

Hai Bhai Sach - True at this present moment. While saying feel this.

Hosee - Ho is future for hai. In the future also will be true

Nanak Hosee bhi Sach

Guest Javanmard

There is only one little problem of emphasis in the interpretation of Gurprasadi. Kulbir Singh has most correctly rendered the instrumental meaning of the sihaari even though strictly speaking it is a locative. It both means "in the Grace" and "through the Grace of the Guru". Grace being a Divine attribute (only the Divine can be graceful) the conclusion is that the Guru is the manifested aspect of Divinity, the Face of God. This is very important to understand the nature and essence of our Gurus for saying that "gurprasadi" whilst saying that our Gurus were just simple human beings is an act of polytheism as it implies that two separate entities possess grace which we all know is a divine attribute.