World Sikh group against gay marriage bill..

Found this touchy post by this member on the sikhnet.

The Sikh religion would never accept such MPs. Nobody would support such a person having such dirty thoughts in their mind because it is against the Sikh religion and the Sikh code of conduct and totally against the laws of nature."

Dear Mr. Vedanti:

I am a Sikh. I follow the SGGS. I do my prayers, I download and listen to Gurbani on my MP3 player. I read the Hukamana every day and reflect on it. I earn my pay in cancer research. I give money back to my community.

I am a householder. I have been with my spouse for twelve years, and we have been there for each other through good times and horrible times. We stay close to our families, honor our parents and grandparents, help our siblings and friends out when they need us, help take care of our nieces, nephews, children who need us. I love my spouse with all my heart and I know she loves me the same way.

I take the Sikh religion very seriously, including remaining vigilant against lust, ego, Maya, greed, anger. But what you have done is completely dishonor my life and faith by reducing it to nothing BUT lust. I am a homosexual, I feel no shame since I have known this since I was a young child; this is how the Waheguru has created me. I can have sex with anyone but I can only fall in love with other women. And isn't sex without love the very definition of lust?

It was not lust that drove me to hold my partner close when she learned her brother was dying of cancer. It was not lust that kept her by my bedside when I had surgery. Lust didn't power her muscles when she had to push me about in a wheelchair. Believe me, it was certainly NOT lust when I struggled with feelings for another person and turned away from them because my partner deserved better from me. It was not lust that cooks our food together or cleans our house together. Lust doesn't feed you when you are too sick to cook. Lust doesn't hold you when you are tired and crying.

One of the many reasons I became a follower of Sri Guru Granth Sahib was because of the story of Guru Nanak. He educated himself. He listened to Moslems, he listened to Hindis talk about their religion and their faith. The key there is that he *listened*. If you do not actually know a gay, lesbian or bisexual person, if you refuse to talk to us or learn our stories, then you truly cannot pass judgement. Vedantiji, listen to my story. Go to Canada yourself and listen to the stories of same-sex couples. Open your mind and your heart and. Hear that it is not lust that makes us ask for marriage, but a very deep and powerful love.

Guru Fateh,

Lisa Kaur Canjura-Clayton

San Francisco

(now if anyone knows how I can actually *mail* it to him...)