Sikh women would become extinct soon

source: http://www.hindustantimes.com/2004/Sep/30/...02100000001.htm

Sikh women would become extinct soon: Bose

Sravani Sarkar

SIKH WOMEN might soon become an extinct species, if the present trend of plummeting sex ratio in the community continues, eminent demographer Ashish Bose has warned. Same would be the fate of Hindu women at least in states such as Punjab and Haryana.

The demographer, known for his sharp views on demography and health issues while talking to Hindustan Times said that the trend is more shocking and worrying than any other demographic issues of recent times including the extinction of the most talented community of Parsis.

Bose was in the City to participate in the annual general body meeting of the Voluntary Health Association of India (VHAI) as the chief guest. Saying that the sharply declining sex ratio at birth is the single most worrying factor thrown up by the recent census, Bose stressed that the problem is most acute in the case of Sikh community, where the sex ratio has plummeted in a shocking manner.

“The Sikh and Hindu women in Punjab and Haryana are on the verge of extinction, given rate of decrease in sex ratio at birth. Soon they would become rare souls, almost extinct,” he said. He also said that the trend could hardly be controlled in a short period, despite the Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques (PNDT) Act and all.

The sex ratio as a whole would further plunge down – even below 900 (per thousand male) in the census of 2011. The present sex ratio is country is 927.

However if the trend is to be stymied in long term, some very strict steps including strong intervention by women themselves - in form of individuals, society and voluntary organisations is needed. Another step should be heavy and deterrent punishment for doctors involved in sex determination to the extent of immediate cancellation of licenses.

The demographer also expressed deep worry over the impending extinction of the most talented community of Parsis, another event that cannot be thwarted he said owing to several factors. He however rejected the notions like the one that Muslims would equal Hindus in India population wise sometime not very far in future saying that these are mindless application of statistics where things are projected mechanically.

“Do you think Muslims are mad enough to go on reproducing uncontrollably,’’ he asked, citing example of Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh, where Muslims have easily adopted family planning methods like any other community.

As for the recent controversy regarding the growth rate of Muslims, Bose said that there would not have been any controversy but for the big howler by the office of the Registrar General Of India (RGI).

He said that the trend shown in present census is just the continuation of trend from previous ones and while it is true that the growth rate of Hindus is going down due to the adoption of family planning methods and since statistics should always add up to hundred per cent, growth should be registered in some other community, which in India’s case is Muslims.

“The controversy was whipped up because of the big howler by the RGI followed by premature and strong reaction by politicians and press. The basic thing is to educate politicians so that they understand the issues before reacting,” Bose said, adding that interpretation of census is a tricky business and should not be done in haste. He added that as chairman of the Expert Committee constituted by the Minority Commission of India, he is reviewing the controversy and would soon submit the report to the commission.

He further said that census provides hugely pertinent information useful for the very basic human development. Using the data, targets can be set for 100 per cent literacy and family planning – things that are most important for the country in present context.

source: http://www.hindustantimes.com/2004/Sep/30/...02100000001.htm

SIKH WOMEN might soon become an extinct species, if the present trend of plummeting sex ratio in the community continues, eminent demographer Ashish Bose has warned. Same would be the fate of Hindu women at least in states such as Punjab and Haryana.

A sign of kalyug, these people who are killing there daughters will certaionly be punished, the problem lies with the decline of Sikhi thus lack of fear/love of Akaal Purakh, Vaheguru Jee.......... the following poem was posted on sikhnet on this topic:

http://www.sikhnet.com/Sikhnet/discussion....1A!OpenDocument

To the ‘Kuri-maar’ parents

I am a child.

My name is Har-Preet, but you don't know that yet.

It's dark, but I know you're there.

I'm only six weeks old,

But my heart is beating.

I'm not even the size of a raspberry,

But my heart is beating.

I am a person.

I'II like the color yellow, but you don't know that yet.

It's warm, like your hands will be when you hold me.

I'm only eleven weeks old,

But I am growing hair and fingernails.

I only weigh a half ounce.

But I am growing hair and fingernails.

I'll have a life.

I'll win a first prize at drawing, but you don't know that yet.

I can't see anything, but I will see your face.

I'm only fourteen weeks old,

But I have a face and fingerprints.

I'm only three inches long,

But I have a face and fingerprints.

I'll add to the world.

I'll smile at you first, but you don't know that yet.

I'm still within you, but I'll run to be with you.

I'm only nineteen weeks old,

But I'm sucking my thumb.

I only weigh nine ounces,

But I'm sucking my thumb.

I will be loved.

I'll have two kids, but I'll be yours first.

I can hear your voice, but soon you'll hear mine.

I'm only twenty-five weeks old,

But I have the hiccups.

I'm only eight inches long,

But I have the hiccups.

I will see things you will never see,

Love people you will never love,

Do things you will never do,

Be things you will never be,

That is, if you let me live.