Akal Takht Sahib - 1986

Freed

GurFateh !

Here is another interesting , actually quite upsetting picture from the Corbis archive.

The description reads :

" In 1984, the Indian Prime Minister, Indira Gandhi sent troops into the Sikh holy temple to dislodge a group of Sikh militants who had barricaded themselves inside. Two years later Sikhs partially destroy a building within the complex to purify the temple. "

From the architecture of the dome and pavillion ( the three arches ) it appears to be the Akal Takht Sahib. The picture is dated 29 Jan 1986 - which would be around the time "sewadars" saw fit to raze to the ground the original Akal Takht (repaired in the 'Sarkari' sewa' after the attack of 1984) It is a very upsetting image - I believe this is quite a rare photograph. --

However I could be wrong - please post your views - am I right is it the Akal Takht ?

akaltakht198629jan2sk.jpg

Photographer: Kapoor Baldev

Date Photographed: January 29, 1986

Location Information: Amritsar, Punjab, India

* From Corbis.com

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

yes veeji this is the image of the the Kar Sewa done by the Sikh Sangat after the Hukamnaama by the Sarbat Khalsa 26th Jan 1986 to rebuild Sri Akaal Takhat Sahib. theres a video of the Kar Sewa.

there is loads off images regarding the Sewa done

hope it helps

vaheguru