new member question about Ek Onkar!!!!

greetings,

I am new to Sikh dharma and have many questions but would like to start with just one question and then humbly hope someone can help me with the answer.

I am curious about how to officially spell in the english script "ek onkar" and "waheguru"

I see these 2 words spelled so many ways like vahiguru, waheguru, wahe-guru, ikonkar, ekomkar, ek oankar etc. what is the official way to spell these in english?

thank you !

matijyoti

Welcome to the Forum Ji, I hope you enjoy your stay.

Correct way of Waheguru is not Waheguru but Vaheguroo. There is no "W" in Gurmukhi. Its a "V" sound. English spelling should be Vaheguroo.

According to Damdami taksal(popular school of thought and an order) correct way to spell- Ik oankar is Ikon(g)kar. However, it varies from sampardha's to sampardha's (orders/lineages) in Sikhism- all three spelling- ikonkar, ekomkar, ek oankar are acceptable in samparda's.

Please read the katha english translations of sri japji sahib, where all mool mantar is discussed very deeply.:

http://www.sikhawareness.com/sikhawareness...opic.php?t=7695

Guest SAdmin

Welcome to Sikh Dharma which belongs to whole humankind... i hope you are enjoying this new experience in life and wish you best of luck in your spiritual journey. Now for your question I would suggest that you consult with atleast 20 well known Sikh lecturer. You will get answers on this discussion but please do your own due diligence as well.

Please read this response at http://www.sikhnet.com/Sikhnet/discussion....D1!OpenDocument

I humbly thank these respones and the info was very helpful! and now if I may ask please I have a few more questions. In Sikh dharm is there room for the belief that there is a heaven or devaloka where we can hope to go after death? also, I have not had amrit, but I embrace kesh vrat and nam simran. can I change my surname to Singh before amrit ceremony? thirdly, I am wondering about the yogi bhajan sikhs. I have read alot of their info online and alot of critical things about them including the idea that they are a cult. I allready see that they make themselves different in some ways than average sikhs. what is the view on the yogi bhajan sikhs?

-matijyoti

Guest SAdmin

In Sikh dharm is there room for the belief that there is a heaven or devaloka where we can hope to go after death?

http://allaboutsikhs.com/mansukh/031.htm

I am wondering about the yogi bhajan sikhs

This is misconception that there are "Yogi Bhajan Sikhs" because it's not true. Yes, they give him great importance and that’s because he was their teacher of Kundalni Yoga through which they came across his appearance which was Sikh appearance and initiated in Sikhism. Sikhs are disciple of Guru (10 Gurus and Word "Shabad" Guru, Sri Guru Granth Sahib) so labels are not needed. All these labels are out of our own ignorance which led us to believe that person who is giving us word of Guru is "Guru"

Himself. There are no Yogi Bhajan Sikhs but Sikhs of Sikh Gurus and Sri Guru Granth Sahib. Yes, they have approach which is quiet similar to cult with different outfit but bear in mind that they were inspired in Sikhism through "Harbhajan Singh Yogi" hence they keep his style of white clothes and white turban.

I have read alot of their info online and alot of critical things about them including the idea that they are a cult. I allready see that they make themselves different in some ways than average sikhs. what is the view on the yogi bhajan sikhs?

If they have formed a group still they follow Sri Guru Granth Sahib as Guru. The biggest online Sikhism resource is made available by them. Yes they have their own mix of Western and Eastern cultural aspect within Sikhism but then that goes to Punjabi Sikhs as well. We Punjabi Sikhs have our own prejudices of keeping Sikhism like a holy grail and isolating it from others. Sikhism is like stream of river as per my opinion which should flow without any discrimination. It should not bother us if they are cult or not because you take any religion or spiritual path and you will find difference of opinion in followers. The good approach is to keep yourself attached to the spiritual path of Sikh Dharma and let politician fight over petty issues.

On a side note, these are just my own views. I like the spiritual aspect of religion and ignore politics or petty issues.