new questions

hi

i am new to sikhism and will at some point want to have amrit. i have asked questions here before and with gratitude had very good answers. now i have two more questions which i humbly hope someone could answer.

first i am wondering what the sikh view is on the arayan invasion theory. secondly i am wondering something about sikh culture. of lots of people convert to sikhi then are some individual cultural differences ok. for example regarding turban, could scottish converts develop style of plaid turban, and could different ways of turban, kirpan, be acceptable to reflect local cultures.

thanks!

matijyoti

Guest SAdmin

first i am wondering what the sikh view is on the arayan invasion theory.

Sikhism is spiritual path so I don't think it gives any importance to Aryan Invasion. Sikh Gurus emphasis is to connect with one almighty God and conveys the message of simple living while controlling your lust, anger, greediness, attachment and any bad habits human being develop and let it run without any limit.

secondly i am wondering something about sikh culture. of lots of people convert to sikhi then are some individual cultural differences ok. for example regarding turban, could scottish converts develop style of plaid turban, and could different ways of turban, kirpan, be acceptable to reflect local cultures.

You should ask this particular question from Panj Piyare/Five desicple. Here is scottish Sikh woman if you want to contact her. http://www.carmenkaur.co.uk/ ( I think she is Scottish)

thank you for your response. I looked at this scottish kaur's website and she is a disciple of yogi bhajan. i have no desire to be on either side of the debate wether followers of yogi bhajan are a cult or not but this lady had yogi bhajan turban and attire. so if i can ask my question another way.....in scotland the plaid design is very popular so could a scottish sikh where plaid turban? or for another example the japanese culture has in their history the very beautiful long straight sword. so if a japanese person converts to sikhi could they use their japanese sword for kirpan? in a broader sense i am asking where does sikh dharma end and punjabi culture begin? if i embrace sikh dharma then how much religion will i adapt into my life and how much culture will i adapt? what is the line between sikh religion and culture? i read sikh dharma is a universal religion, so if this is true then is there not a difference between sikh dharma and punjabi/sikh culture? where is the line drawn? [/font:f16dd6da9f]

Sikhs are not restricted in adopting different cultures, but a Sikh shouldnt forget their code of conduct. Most Sikhs I know wear urban clothes. Below is a Singh wearing a Scotish Tartan. And in scotland there is a tartan called the "Singh Tartan".

st13-01.jpg

If you would like to read more check this weblink out:

http://www.sikhspectrum.com/122002/tartan_scot.htm

i have irish and scottish ancestors and i had no idea about sikh tartan, thank you for your enlightening post! now that i search more i also find that many native american people have worn turban in their cultures. i give here a couple quotes and picture...

{1880) "The next article of the man's ordinary costume is the turban. This a remarkable structure and gives to its wearer much of his unique appearance. At present it is made of one or more small shawls. These shawls are generally woolen and copied in figure and color from the plaid o£ some Scotch clan. They are so folded that they are about 3 inches wide and as long as the diagonal of the fabric. They are then, one or more of them successively, wrapped tightly around the head, the top of the head remaining bare; the last end o£ the last shawl is tucked skillfully and firmly away, without the use of pins, somewhere in the many folds of the turban. The structure when finished looks like a section of a decorated cylinder crowded down upon the man's head. I examined one of these turbans and found it rather a firm piece of work, made of several shawls wound into seven concentric rings. It was over 20 inches in diameter, the shell of the cylinder being perhaps 7 inches thick and 3 in width. This headdress, at the southern settlements, is regularly worn in the camps and sometimes in the hunt. While hunting, however, it seems to be the general custom for the warriors to go bareheaded. At the' northern camps, a kerchief bound about the head frequently takes the place of the turban in everyday life, but on dress or festival occasions, at both the northern and southern settlements, this curious turban is the customary covering for the head of the Seminole braves. Having no pockets in his dress, he has discovered that the folds of his turban may be put to a pocket's uses..." MacCauley, 1887

(ca. 1895) "It is worn almost constantly; and is made impromptu from shawls or colossal handkerchiefs wrapped round and round the head and then secured in shape by a band, often made of beaten silver which encircles the whole with brilliant effect. With young braves the more important the occasion, the more enormous the turban." Moore-Willson, 1914

"Their turban is made of a woolen shawl, sometimes covered with a piece of calico and even silk when they wish to be particularly gorgeous in their attire. On one occasion I saw an Indian by the name of Billy Bowlegs wearing a turban encircled by a band of metal (probably tin). The older Indians usually wear a red woolen turban made by widening a shawl around their heads, which they fasten by tucking the ends skillfully away beneath the folds without the use of pins. As a rule they do not wear the turban when hunting...except in the very hottest weather." Cory, 1895

so i could be an amrit sikh and wear native american turban like this, and have singh tartan clothing, and japanese kirpan sword? would not alot of sikhs say that this is not "accurate" sikhi?

Wow I never knew that native Americans wore Turbans!

In old Indian times, the turban was a sign of kingship, where only kings used to wear turban's. In Sikhism the idea of a Turban is to protect our hair, most sikhs believe its an identity for them to wear a turban. Most Sikhs from Kenya-Africa wear Kenyan style turban's.

Ive even seen a Sikh wear a Burberry turban, yes that fashion lable. Check out the link:

http://www.chavscum.co.uk/4images/details....ge_id=4663&

The Kirpan itself has to be double edge though. Check this weblink out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirpan

Well we do have a straight sword as well, its called the Khunda, there are also more, check out the link:

http://www.sikhworld.co.uk/page17.html

After being bapisted your meant to refrain from cutting hair (head to toe) and wear all 5 symbols which are, Kesh, Kanga, Kara, Kacha, Kirpan which are to be worn by a Amrithderhi Sikh (bapisted Sikh).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Five_Ks

If you would like to know more about sikhism, check out the following links, theses are the sites which I still visit.

All About Sikhs

http://www.allaboutsikhs.com/

theSikhNetwork

http://www.sikhnet.com/

Ive tried my best to answer your questions, Im sure if you stay on with Sikhawarness.com you can get answers from others. Guru Ji says its important to keep a Good Congregation, Sat Sangat (True Congregation). We're always sharing our experiences here. Your more then welcome to stay. But if you want to learn Sikhism undistorted, go to the source, Guru Granth Sahib.

that brings up another question actually. what is the best english translation of Sri Guru in english, and where can i buy it. i have looked at all the major big books stores in person and online and i do not find the full translation.

For english translations I can only give you a website, since im from UK. If anyone living in the states here would be so kind to help our brother here about local US book stores anything to do with Guru Granth Sahib or any other book related to Sikhism would be nice. Thanks in advance.

But I turn you to SikhiToTheMax, just use the search facility to what you want to find out about Sikhi (Sikhi being the Punjabi word for Sikhism, Sikh means to learn).

SikhiToTheMax

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/