Prof Sahib Singh Translations of sri guru granth sahib ji?

Here is my question to everyone on this forum,

what do you guys think about prof sahib singh translations of sri guru granth sahib ji?

what his approach when he translates gurbani?

Can i get non bias observations, anyalsis on prof sahib singh translations, interpertations?

Reason i m asking because i was just curious about link with prof sahib singh and singh sabha, prof sahib singh is favourite gurbani scholar for all singh sabhias. I wanted to know ,what his approach when he translates gurbani?

There is little research i have done on him, when i see his interpertations of gurbani-i see the same rigid thinking/mindset which has seem to have diseased the panth

Gurfateh

He was with great intellect and was not as rigid as say our Present Day Kala Afghan Sahib's followers.

He even had love for hindu brthren.

It happened that when he was still a Hindu Brahmin that while some one from Sant side doing Katha in his village and told about many meaning of same verse of Gurbani(it is Salesh Alanakar).A hell worthy Arya Samji told him that,it is like your having more then one father.

It hurt him and rather then getting influnce by wrong uttrance he studied and became Sikh himself and tried to get meaning one and only for whole Guru Granth Sahib(he did simlar work for Japu Sahib also).So his intenetion was very good.

Coming to Salesh alankar anyway das thinks that it exists in Gurbani and we should not have paid heed to Arya Samaji guy.In Vedas also it exists.They had tried to do same in Vedas to get meanig as they want by twisitng the spritual meanings.Say it is like calling that person as your father who is not.

Say there is verse in holy Veda about Wife as embalem of huousehold.They just took it for socail thing but Vedanta takes into account of Shiva and Shakti concept.So what he did was to counter Arya Samajis and even if he was doing something wrong for some of us,yet his intenetions were not BAD at all.

Das finds his interpetations as more logical but sprituality is beyond logic.So there are mnay guys who had family members,who are elder floowing Prof Sahib Singh Ji yet young one more after Taksali Santhiya.Yet ds give him 95%.

his arth are purely based on viakaran. All teekakars do their own arth of guru sahibs bani, and all provide different translations. We may not do the same translations as these teekakars, but that does not mean that they are wrong, they are simply explaining bani to their own comprehension of it.

Prof. Sahib Singh's steeks seem too rigid to me. His translations just don't much depth to them, especially when compared to the translations done Sampardavale mahapurkh (eg Sant Gyani Gurbachan Singh, Baba Jagjit Singh, Sant Kartar Singh). Also, after reading parts of prof. sahib singhs steek, it seems that he tries to dissprove alot of sakhis that show the context of the shabad. It also seems to me that sometimes prof sahib singh has a preconceived belief, and at times he trys to mold his translations of a shabad to fit his belief.

But I still think it's a good idea to atleast read some of his steek, it gives you another perspective on someone elses understanding of bani. and its pretty useful if you wanna pick up on some basic vaikaran stuff.

Guest SAdmin

It depends on how much knowledge we have gained through our hardwork. There is a saying that you have to be scholar in order to understand principal Ganga Singh which is quiet true, so in case of Gyani Sahib Singh it is true that he kept the original grammatically way of explaining Gurbani and kept the rational approach to it. I've met so many Sampardayee lecturers who hesitantly use his Gurbani meanings.