Sant Isher Singh Ji Rare Sahib Wale

Freed

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh !

I was having a discussion the other day about what first sparks an interest in Sikhi.

We hear a lot about how people 'nowadays are not interested in Sikhi'

I thought I'd post this video from 1974 - as it marks the moment that first sparked an interest in Sikhi for me.

I was born and brought up in England in your average Doaba Jatt family - We used to go to Gurdwara on Sundays ( a rented School Hall) - I didn't really understand Gurdwara - it was an opportunity to mess around - having races in the school corridors and playing the school piano.

When the Sangat bought a property to make a Gurdwara - I have a distinct memory of thinking the Gurdwara was the then President of the committee's house and wondering why it was always Christmas at his house because of all the decorations ! ( I was little at the time !)

In 1974 and 1975 Sant Isher Singh Rara Sahib Wale came to our home town and nearby Hitchin - I remember it was really Hot and we went 'enmasse' in a coach to the Diwan - It was like a fun school trip -

I was only 5 at the time when we got to the Diwan I remember being mesmerized by the Kirtan - and the way the entire Sangat was involved.

The Tune that Sant Ji played at the beginning and the Guru Ustotar at the end captivated me . To this day I still love the Shabad 'Me jan tera' and the 'Dhan He Dhan He' Guru Ustotar.

I loved the way the Chimta players would hold the chimta aloft and play with arms stretched above their heads.(Real 'Theatre' reminiscent of the theatre of a catholic mass.)

It was a real 'Moment' in my life . - it sparked a interest and search that I still have with me today.

Many times on SA people argue about Sant Ji's style of kirtan or write about the Akhand Kirtani Jatha style of Kirtan - but I believe it is all 'prachar' - as tSingh has said in one of his posts.

We all have to start somewhere .

Kirtan in Sangat is amazing especially when all the Sangat is involved - it may sound melodramatic but it as if the Sangat is 'Floating'

This kind of Kirtan may not be to everyone's liking (pejoratively called 'pakhand', 'headbanging' or 'hyperventilating' on SA) but it lights a spark - that spark then leads to personal searches/journies and does lead to people finding all the Wonders of Sikhi including Raag Kirtan.

As Guru Sahib says 'Aap(u) aapuni budh he jeti. Barnat bhin bhin tuhe teti'

Bhul chuk Maaf - and thankyou for the indulgence of this post.

The Video clip is from 12 August 1974 in Hitchin, Hertfordshire. - it includes the tune that started the Diwan and the Bhagat Ravi Das Shabad 'Me Jan Tera' -

( If you look closely you will see me aged 4 with a white rumaal on my Jura !! right at the front !)

The Clip ;

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=...67&hl=en-GB

GurFateh!

Ranjit Singh 'Freed'

Vah Ji Vah.

Noori Mahapursha daie darshan karo playing divine music... it cannot get better than that :D

Thanks freed for your story, sant maharaj ji touched millions of heart, i wasnt even born around sant maharaj ji time, i got inspired by his audio/video katha kirtan... his melody divine music touched many hearts regardless if they are in audio or video form.

• 3 weeks later...