Use of Liquor in Punjab - Drink and Spray...

I disagree with the farm scientist, I know English people who have been using alchohol based drinks to create super vegetables in national competions, whilst the achohol keeps the slugs, snails and insects at bay, the other ingredients work as a fertiliser i.e. barley (in beer)...

I reckon the farm scientist has vested interestes i.e. the reduction in demand for his expert advice - namley, which are the latest insecticides, pesticides, chemical fertilisers etc.. which help grow faster, stronger, longer lasting crops, and poison half the surrounding villages drinking water to boot. He will obviously also see a reduction in contributions from these environment destroying companies.

Sorry for being so pessimistic, it really angers me that the source of Punjabs prosperity, water, has been so ill considered by unethical decisions by both Government and Punjabs farmers.

Obviously the affects of large scale alchohol spraying on the environment will also need to be considered, but from what I know, it is a more organic and eco-friendly method.... just need to make sure the farmers don't get high on their own supply.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.aol.in/news/story/2007072605299...0014/index.html

Hic! Farmers in Punjab use liquor as pesticide

Asian News International - Text

Last Updated: July 26, 2007 05:57:02

Devivada (Punjab), July 26: Farmers in Punjab's Faridkot district are using locally brewed liquor as pesticide to get better yield from their crops. According to farmers, it is not only cheap but gives better results than pesticides available in the market. Farmers claim, spraying one litre of hooch mixed with 80 litres of water shows a difference in their crops within 15 days.

"We plant our crop about 15 days later than the date given to us by the government and yet our produce is more. It has now been three years since we have been spraying our crops with liquor," said Sinkander Singh, a farmer.

But farm scientists ridicule the claim. According to them, there is no evidence that spraying crops with alcohol produces a better yield.

"If farmers are doing this for their satisfaction, then this is limited to them only. Spraying plants with alcohol does not yield better looking plants or yield a bigger produce," said Gurdayal Singh, agriculture official, Faridkot.

Country made liquor or hooch is a cheap and often toxic lemon and orange flavoured drink.

Punjab, which is popularly known as the wheat granary of the country, produces over two million tonnes of wheat every year.