Although all the Gurbani is Dhur ki Bani but the bani by Bhagar Kabir and Guru Nanak Dev Ji is always simple to read, understand but very effective and powerful to show us the mirror and to make a point. In fact, very bad for ego.

Thanks for reply das..but as much as i try to battle ego, its really is an area which in itself seems to be unknown, well for me..  from my understanding ego as in haumai,as in  me which is to be avoided but ahankar needs to been instilled in the shukhsham sareer, albeit at a subtle level, for one to "experience" or to "act"...there is sill ego

ive read a few of your post and i seem to be more attuned to your way of thinking in terms of gyan,  if you could throw a few darts of experience to the board of knowledge i 'd  be very great full, (if you like, of course)..if not..its all good

also an observation of others and myself, of course, there always seems to be an element of ego, as in i achieved "look at me", how can this be overcome?, for me im thinking and practicing just to be silent (which is very, very hard for me)....

7 hours ago, samurai said:

how can this be overcome?, for me im thinking and practicing just to be silent (which is very, very hard for me)....

"The Theory" which we all know is that the MAIN TOP-LEVEL real Ego is called Ahamkara; which provides identity to our functioning and is required in order to hold and retain our body, our individuality. Obviously this Ego operates on many subtle levels and has many different forms; Pride is the lowest kind of Ego which we do in day-to-day life. Now, again this "Pride" (lowest level of Ego) has many different forms. Back in home (India) there is a kind of proverb along the lines "Jo Aaan khanda, us de wich hume te hovege (Whosoever eats the food will have Pride)"; OR "Jo mitte da banea ha, ao ahankar te karega (Who is made of Earth/Mitti will have Pride)".

Some of us misuse the above mentioned "Theory" to prove that it is okay/natural to have Pride and is not possible to get rid of Pride unless we're at the Brahmgyan level. While some say that it is easy to control Pride. I (see ME, I) personally think that both are wrong because Yes, it is not possible to get rid of TOP-LEVEL-EGO (Ahamkara) unless we're at Brahmgyani level (crossed all the levels) and ready to merge with God. BUT at the same time we do have the capacity (read illusion because of Karma) to control our day-to-day Pride (lower level of Ego).

The main issue arises when the Ego/Ahamkara believes it is the Self.

Sant/Mahatama have mentioned the following techniques to help us with the Ego:

1. The first and the perfect way is via Gurbani: Waheguru GurMantar Hai Jap Haumai Khoee.
  2. Do not identity the Ahamkara with your-self. A good way to cultivate the witnessing of Ahamkara is to be aware of the fact that rising thoughts and emotions are often colored with either attraction or aversion. Instead of saying “I need this. Say It needs this”.
  3. Cultivate Nirmata/Humbleness which will wash away the first power (Mal/Filth) of Maya. And best and perfect way to produce Nirmata/Humbleness is do Sewa (Selfless Service) saying that I'm NOT doing, God is making me do it and then Thank Him. I personally find this as the simple but very potent/effective.

Apart from the above 3 mentioned ways to control the Ego, there is NO easy way. It's extremely hard (but NOT impossible) to work with Pride. If you're thinking that you could control Ego via practice of silence or intellect or thinking to act this way or that way because that particular way is good or more Spiritual, then you're out of luck as Ego cannot be controlled by the source of the Ego......as in India there is a saying "Dudh de rakhe vaste billi nu nahi bethaeda (You cannot assign cat to protect the bowl of milk....as cat will naturally drink the milk)".....same way Mind (thinking/will-power/intellect) cannot be used to get rid of Pride. Mind itself is the cause of Pride and the source is previous bad karmas.

At last, I remember one Mahapurash has given the following flowchart to attain Salvation within one Birth as follows:

1. Have Nirmata.
2. Brahmachraj (Don't see another man/women)
3. Do not steal and have Santokh.
4. Do not do Nidea/Backbitting.
5. Simran/Meditation of Guru updesh.
6. Have less food, and less sleep.

I feel on the basic levles of controlling ego at the moment is to be quiet, but like you say its not going to be overcome by silence itself. When i say quiet i mean do not express this energy when it creaps up via words as this is like you say basic low level ego. 

On 6/18/2016 at 2:55 AM, das said:

Cultivate Nirmata/Humbleness which will wash away the first power (Mal/Filth) of Maya. And best and perfect way to produce Nirmata/Humbleness is do Sewa (Selfless Service) saying that I'm NOT doing, God is making me do it and then Thank Him. I personally find this as the simple but very potent/effective.

I agree, as long as its not the fake nimrata expression (which is annoying) and prema bhagti is key (easiest way) to this as its all about you (vaheguru) not me (I). Like you say its effective/potent and this is with gurprasad, i used to think gurprasad was one spontanious moment but now feel that its a progression, every second being on this path is progression (gurprasad), but until we reach that bhramgyan level where we can say "i am god" its a slippery slope as at this point ego has gone.. 

I read bhramachariya by sivananda years ago and two thing which always stuck in my mind was he mentioned that if you curse/hate kaam it will show its ugly face to you, and this was shortly followed by a story he shared where one mahapursh allowed a women to massage his feet and after this incident he became very kaami and ultimatley went back to square one. I know this is of kaam but i suppose it works for all chors in the same sort of manner. . 

At last, I remember one Mahapurash has given the following flowchart to attain Salvation within one Birth as follows:

1. Have Nirmata.
2. Brahmachraj (Don't see another man/women)
3. Do not steal and have Santokh.
4. Do not do Nidea/Backbitting.
5. Simran/Meditation of Guru updesh.
6. Have less food, and less sleep.

Thats top notch!!

• 7 months later...