To truth singh

Truth singh ji.. i know my question has been answerd lot of time .. but still .. are we putting our answer in action ??? i am talking about caste system... i think this was one of the biggest reason Guru Nanak Dev ji estalbished sikhism to become all human as one and equal. and what i think is this.. .if we believe in caste system .. then we are not sikh. Am i right??? Aman singh.

Hi Aman,

I know u said this post was for truth singh but I just wanted to say I do think the caste system is kinda bad but then again I’ve learned to accept it and I think it’s understandable. The reason why I say this is cause I think many castes have their own way of things. I mean every caste views and sometimes do things differently. Don’t get me wrong here cause I don’t think there should defiantly without question be a caste system, but im just saying I do understand why for example people wanna stay in the same caste when getting married. Well that’s what I think anyways.

Gurfateh

Good question Aman Singh!

I personally interpret Gurbani as taking your point much further than just caste.

Take for example Guru Arjun Dev's statements in Sukhmani Sahib like 'The Brahm-Giani treats freind and foe alike'...this is more than just caste. How can you be 'khalis' or 'nirmal' until you have stopped looking down on ANYONE, how can you be pure until you've stopped holding negative thoughts about anyone?

The 'thing' that holds grudges, has likes and dislikes is your ego and one of the key teachings of the Gurus is the removal of the ego, then there is no dukh, only the bliss of union. Humility and compassion arise when we stop thinking about ourselves and do seva of others. Seva is a mindset, an approach to life.

Brother Aman,

Your question is good and simple anwser to your question is that if you can do it then don't worry about others. Sikhism is a relation of Master and deciple so keep it that way. Just read what our masters have said and follow it.

Culture can be modified with time but religion is something which was started to change ourselves and if we don't and start mixing up culture and religion at the same time then we end up confusing ourselves. We need to understand that culture and religion are two seprate things.

Due to less time in my hands I won't be able to discuss it any further but in short I have said which requires more than two pages and that's about it.

Members are enlightened here and you will get good responses. Best of luck!

Dear Punjaban ... my problem is not why there is caste system in sikhism... i know no one can remove this caste system form us.. specially when its come to the marriage.. i used to don't believe in this system but now i do. anyway..thank u all for replying.. i wish we all were same .. only humans.

Aman, if you do not mind me asking, can you pls tell us where you are from.

In england, i give the caste system to be around for two more generations MAX, if not one.

The reason for this is that, the sikhs who are religious will hopefully teach their children sikhi, and those that are not religious will slowly die out of sikhi.

so, if you are into sikhi and force into a caste, I have one wish from you, do not force you child.

M. Singh.. well don't worry .. i am not married yet... i was forced to believe in caste system... which i never believed before in my whole life... and thanks for your wish.. i am in usa.. i won't force my kids ..(if i have in future) to believe in caste system. well.. i should not talk about it anymore... if god is here why we should afriad>>>

Gurfateh

Punjaban, I understand where you are coming from, but caste causes division, whether it be when making a choice to marry someone or otherwise. If you had two choices, to marry a Gursikh, or someone who wasn't as interested in Sikhi but was of the same caste, which would you choose?

The whole point of Guru Ji giving us the gift of Khalsa identity is to show we are one, that means a whole, no divisions whatsoever. It's simple, there can be no other reason. If we remain divided amongst ourselves, then it will be easier for others to break us.

Like they say, a fist is harder to break!

:D Let's stay united people, and yeah, 'putt jattan de' is not only a crappy song, it's tasteless, hehe. :wink:

Gurpreet Kaur

Gurfateh